The Godfather (Wii)

The readers post their own reviews.
Funkmaster V

The Godfather (Wii)

Postby Funkmaster V » June 6th, 2007, 7:01 pm

[QUOTE=Edward M]I know everyone is wondering why i gave it such a low grade.  I'm not saying the game is a disaster.    But I am trying to use C as  the average.   When I looked at its competition (GTA3 Vice City San Andreas, Mafia, JAK 2 Jak 3, Simpsons Hit in Run, Driver etc..)  I saw that this game is well below average because of its blandness.   So it should get a below average grade.   So a D+ from me may be worth a C+ from someone else because I'm trying not to do grade inflation. 

[QUOTE=JustLikeHeaven]
Who cares about the graphics of a Wii game?  If you care about graphics play a 360 or PS3.  These arguments are old and quite frankly I'm sick of hearing them.  I don't care if the Critic is making them or Shawn or anybody else.  The Wii is, and never will be a machine about graphics.  Stop complaining about a moot point.

[/QUOTE]

Well I certainly care about graphics.   Sure graphics aren't everything, but good graphics will always make a game better.   I don't think Twilight Princess would be as good as it was without its fantastic graphics, neither would the dead or alive games.   People under estimate the importance of graphics.   Sure you can have an awesome game with bad graphics (Deus Ex for example)  but good graphics will always add appeal to games.   I find Tomb Raider Legends to be much more appealing on the 360 because it looks better so that definately helps it.

[/QUOTE]

Well, I'm not trying to be an a-hole to you and nitpick your comments b/c I think you did a good job on your review, but most of those games you listed had alot worse graphics than the Godfather game.

The game was better than many Sandlot games, the graphics were OK, and the controls were awesome. The voice acting was good, and I liked the story. Overall, its above average b/c it's playable. It's not great b/c of the aforementioned flaws.

FUNK

JustLikeHeaven1

The Godfather (Wii)

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » June 6th, 2007, 9:03 pm

[QUOTE=Edward M]

Well I certainly care about graphics.   Sure graphics aren't everything, but good graphics will always make a game better.   I don't think Twilight Princess would be as good as it was without its fantastic graphics, neither would the dead or alive games.   People under estimate the importance of graphics.   Sure you can have an awesome game with bad graphics (Deus Ex for example)  but good graphics will always add appeal to games.   I find Tomb Raider Legends to be much more appealing on the 360 because it looks better so that definately helps it.

[/QUOTE]

I certainly care about graphics as well...but not on the Wii.  I'm already spoiled by the 360 and PS3.  Regardless of how good a Wii game looks it will never have the *wow* appeal of a HD 360/PS3 game. 

While Zelda: TP is a nice looking game, the game looks kinda crappy on a HD TV with component cables...the jaggies are almost unbearable.  The game has great art direction, but I would kill for it to have graphics on par with something like Kameo (360).  I still love the game and its probably the best on the system, but graphically even the earliest 360/PS3 efforts trump it.  Luckily it has gameplay up the wazoo.  Thats why the Wii is fantastic because the gameplay and controls can far outway the graphics (at least in my simple opinion).

The good looking Wii games are few and far between and to be honest it hasn't hurt the system.  The visuals in The Godfather did nothing to spoil the fun I had with the game. 

snakeboy1

The Godfather (Wii)

Postby snakeboy1 » June 6th, 2007, 11:05 pm

I pretty much agree with Funkmaster's assessment of the game, although I would list the music as a positive. I am a huge fan of the movie, and I like the atmosphere the game creates, and it is interesting to see how they weave the plot of the game into the story of the movie.

Before the Godfather, the only Grand Theft Auto game I had played was Vice City, but it didn't make a good first impression with me, and I didn't play much of it. After having a good time with The Godfather, though, I have gone back to it and am enjoying it a lot.

Overall, I would probably say Vice City is the better game. But, as others have said, the one aspect of The Godfather that is much, much better is the controls. Not only are the motion controls more fun, but they are much easier to use. Getting into a shootout on the streets in The Godfather is fun, but in Vice City it can be frustrating. It is difficult to lock on to the person you want to shoot, and the camera is absolutely wretched. In The Godfather manipulating the camera is so much easier and in some ways makes the game more enjoyable.

Funkmaster V

The Godfather (Wii)

Postby Funkmaster V » June 7th, 2007, 8:43 am

[QUOTE=snakeboy]I pretty much agree with Funkmaster's assessment of the game, although I would list the music as a positive. I am a huge fan of the movie, and I like the atmosphere the game creates, and it is interesting to see how they weave the plot of the game into the story of the movie.

Before the Godfather, the only Grand Theft Auto game I had played was Vice City, but it didn't make a good first impression with me, and I didn't play much of it. After having a good time with The Godfather, though, I have gone back to it and am enjoying it a lot.

Overall, I would probably say Vice City is the better game. But, as others have said, the one aspect of The Godfather that is much, much better is the controls. Not only are the motion controls more fun, but they are much easier to use. Getting into a shootout on the streets in The Godfather is fun, but in Vice City it can be frustrating. It is difficult to lock on to the person you want to shoot, and the camera is absolutely wretched. In The Godfather manipulating the camera is so much easier and in some ways makes the game more enjoyable.
[/QUOTE]

Ya know you are right, most Sandlot games suck when it comes to shooting. The Godfather does a good job there too. If the city was a bit more interactive and interesting, Godfather would have been a much better game.

FUNK

Mephisto

The Godfather (Wii)

Postby Mephisto » July 13th, 2007, 10:39 am

[QUOTE=Edward M]This game makes a great first impression.     The controls work fantastic.  It is absolutely fun to choke people to death or punch them or snap their necks.   In combination with screen pointing technology and z trigger lock on, the gun battles are easy to do and really fun. I haven't played this game on other systems, but I couldn't imagine them controlling better than this version.

You will spend most of your time in the game cruising the streets going into enemy stores and extorting them for protection money.   The first time you do it, its a blast.  You can point guns at them, vandalize their store, choke them or anything.    You can even throw them through windows.  You try to find out what their weak point is (such as choke holds) to get the most money from them.

But after a while you will notice something.  All the stores look the same.  All the stores have about one of about six different designs for their back rooms.  So in this game you go through about 12 different hotels that look [b]exactly[/b] the same and about 12 different night clubs that look [b]exactly[/b] the same.   So extorting  business owners for money will at first be fun, but will become mundane very quickly as you will see the same exact stores over and over again.   And you have to extort all the stores to beat the game so it is very lame.

The story missions aren't that great either.  Mostly they involve driving someone and going into a building and shooting someone.   These missions never rise to the level of GTA San Andreas were you shoot up a train on a motorcycle or parachute into a government faculty.  Infact other than the fun, but repetitive extorting missions, this game is a pale GTA clone in every way.  

And the graphics don't help either.   This game would look poor on the Dreamcast.  There is horrible popup and the graphics are low rez.  This is not next gen graphics at all.

So overall this is a boring GTA clone that at first has some exciting extorting missions, but gets boring and repetitive quick.   Its not worth beating as its the same thing over and over again.  Also the story isn't up to standard of the Godfather movies and just feels like you are a character tacked into the universe.   There are better GTA like games out there. (GTA3, Vice City San Andreas Simpsons Hit N run, CrackDown, Saint's Row, Jak 2 and 3, Mercenaries, Mafia...)  I'd pass this one up.
D+

[/QUOTE]

Yep, from what I have read the cons completely "cover up" the pros... Just an insult to the Godfather movies... However, CrakDown is crap. Just putting it simply.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

The Godfather (Wii)

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 3rd, 2011, 11:32 am

Promoted to the review pages.

Edward1

The Godfather (Wii)

Postby Edward1 » September 5th, 2011, 1:23 am

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]Promoted to the review pages.
[/QUOTE]

Wow, thanks for that.   Its been a few years since I did this review, but looking back, I think I did a pretty good job with it.  All the reviewers were in love with this game, and when I got it, I was extremely disappointed.   This was one of the repetitive games I have ever played.

Return to “Reader Reviews”