Hey

General and high profile video game topics.
Luke

Hey

Postby Luke » July 20th, 2007, 1:43 am

Why was my Dreamcast thread removed??

Alienblue

Hey

Postby Alienblue » July 20th, 2007, 4:20 am

???????-I didn't do it! Never saw it! Other Mods?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Hey

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 20th, 2007, 5:58 pm

Luke,
Yes I deleted that.  It's nothing personal, but if you're going to start a new thread, your message needs to have some substance to it.  "I just got a Dreamcast" does not quite cut it.  If you had tacked on a few questions or interesting observations, that would have been ok.
Dave

Luke

Hey

Postby Luke » July 20th, 2007, 6:22 pm

Ok, I understand your point. But I thought this was the General Forum. Shouldn't we be allowed to discuss anything WE like pertaining to video games? Or is this whole site (including the board) only about you?

Not trying to be a jerk here. Just questioning the purpose of having a public message board if you're not going to allow people to express themselves. I mean, c'mon.. it's not like I said anything negative that required editing or deletion. You merely got rid of it cause you didn't like it. Isn't that being biased?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Hey

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 20th, 2007, 7:44 pm

[QUOTE=Luke]Ok, I understand your point. But I thought this was the General Forum. Shouldn't we be allowed to discuss anything WE like pertaining to video games? Or is this whole site (including the board) only about you?

Not trying to be a jerk here. Just questioning the purpose of having a public message board if you're not going to allow people to express themselves. I mean, c'mon.. it's not like I said anything negative that required editing or deletion. You merely got rid of it cause you didn't like it. Isn't that being biased?[/QUOTE]

If we let anybody post anything, the boards would be overloaded with boring crap and nobody would want to read it.  The moderators and I have to maintain some standards.  We don't ask for much - really.  I never delete negative messages, but I often delete boring ones.

And what made you think this was a public message board?  I pay for this dude, so I want to make sure it's worth reading.

Luke

Hey

Postby Luke » July 20th, 2007, 9:10 pm

If it's open for anyone to read and practically comment on.. it's considered public.

m0zart1

Hey

Postby m0zart1 » July 20th, 2007, 9:19 pm

[QUOTE=Luke]If it's open for anyone to read and practically comment on.. it's considered public.[/QUOTE]

I think you're crossing some definitions here.  "Public" in the sense that something is publically owned (and thus administered by Government) isn't the same as "public" in the sense the property is private while the general public is made welcome by the owners.  A public park is public in the former sense, and freedom of speech and assembly are guaranteed on those spots.  This forum is an example of the latter, a private business or organization that makes its offices open to the public, yet is not consenting to become a random forum for just any expression of public opinion.

This is why forums like IGN and Gamespot can be exceedingly restrictive (much moreso than this site, I can tell you) while still welcoming the general public to open accounts and post.

Luke

Hey

Postby Luke » July 20th, 2007, 9:29 pm

Hey. Whatever, man!

If you guys are going to act like a bunch of elitists then I just won't post here anymore. I just thought it would be FUN to talk about retro games with y'all cause I enjoy reading the Critic's reviews. I wasn't aware that there was a certain "standard" for posting. My bad.

Later.

- Luke

Atarifever1

Hey

Postby Atarifever1 » July 20th, 2007, 10:01 pm

I don't want to step on any toes here, as it most certainly is Dave's board, but I think removing a thread for being "boring" sets a bit of a bad precedent.  If Luke thought it was boring to talk about his new Dreamcast, he wouldn't have made the post.  Telling him that is too boring to be here is a little unfair.

I think it's boring to talk about 9/10ths of the modern games that get threads here, and would much rather respond to a new Dreamcast owner about his awesome pick up.

ZetaX1

Hey

Postby ZetaX1 » July 20th, 2007, 10:47 pm

The initial post was a little nondiscript...  Maybe if he had said...

"I just got a Dreamcast, what games should I pick up?", then we wouldn't be in this this situation...

Racing:
-------
Test Drive: LeMans
Test Drive: V-Rally
Daytona USA
Metropolis Street Racing

Action/Adventure:
-----------------
Sonic Adventure
MDK 2
Shenmue

Sports:
-------
NFL2K (or 2K1)
NBA2K (or 2K1)

Shooter:
--------
Gigawing
Mars Matrix
Bangai-O

Fighter:
-------
Soul Calibur
Dead or Alive 2

RPG:
----
I'm not a big RPG fan...try:
Skies of Arcadia

And congrats on getting a Dreamcast, it's still a fun system.  Better late than never...

- Mark

Return to “Video Games General”