What's the Best Video Game Ever?

General and high profile video game topics.
Wallyworld1

Postby Wallyworld1 » August 6th, 2007, 8:48 pm

The best game ever IMHO is the original Ridge Racer.

Ridge Racer was the first and only racing game that i played so much I knew every little nook and cranny of the race track.  I knew exactly when to start my power slide and when to end it (to shave off that 1 tenth of a sec).  My bro would put up a new best time on time trial and I would keep racing till I beat it.

Was this game revolutionary.  Of course.  Name the best racing game before this game came out??  What ever you come with it would pale in comparison to this game.  I remember the first time I got to the end of the game and had to beat the Black car my heart was beating so fast.

Few other cool things about this game that were great.

Where most games had load screens in this you get to play Galaga (one of the best games ever)

The other cool thing was after the you loaded your game you could pull out the disc and put in any audio CD and cruise to whatever Music you like. (I recommend the Offspring but any fast paced music will do)

Quiet Flight

Postby Quiet Flight » August 6th, 2007, 8:51 pm

Single: Ms. Pacman
Multi: RC Pro Am II

Koopa W.

Postby Koopa W. » August 6th, 2007, 9:10 pm

[QUOTE=Wallyworld]

(I recommend the Offspring...)

[/QUOTE]

NICE!!!

Tourian

Postby Tourian » August 6th, 2007, 9:12 pm

[QUOTE=JustLikeHeaven]Mine probably changes every other week, but this is the one that sticks out to me at the moment.

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1)

It was between this and Super Metroid and since I'm more of a horror guy than a Sci-fi guy I had to go with SOTN.

Symphony of the Night is gaming perfection to me.  It blended oldschool 2D graphics with brand new gameplay elements and excellent level design.  It had tons of secrets, replay value and most importantly it was simply a joy to play and explore.

[/QUOTE]

Both Super Metroid and SOTN are longer adventure type games with "legs" too.  I have played all the way through both multiple times and had just as much fun each time. 

I think Super Metroid wins on music and atmosphere though (both essential to this type of game), and it was the first to perfect the formula.  But SOTN would also probably make my top 3.

JasonhasRSI1

Postby JasonhasRSI1 » August 6th, 2007, 10:38 pm

[QUOTE=BigOldCar]Critic, you're absolutely right about Centipede being that rare game that crosses the gender divide.  I'd never even heard of it (I was like ten at the time) before this woman at the church community center started talking about how much she enjoyed it.

However, the answer to your question... the greatest game ever... Ever, in all the history of video games... indeed, the history of the WORLD... bar none, hands down, is... is...

TETRIS!  Doesn't matter what version, what console.  Tetris just rules.  It just RULES, I tell you!  It's so simple it's even been successfully ported to keychains, for goodness sake.  It was even backwards ported to the 2600 (homebrew, sure, but what other modern game can you say that about?)

Tetris is the best thing to come out of Russia since Vodka.  Oh, and rocketry.
[/QUOTE]

Can you honestly say that Tetris is a fun game? Addictive, yes. Ridiculously monotonous and mind-numbing after a bit, indeed.

KanYozakura

Postby KanYozakura » August 6th, 2007, 11:06 pm

Mortal Kombat II.  It's a game that always impresses me and gives me a good time, no matter how outdated it gets or jaded I get; it only seems to get better with age.  I like the MK series as a whole, but MKII really stands out to me.

wur1

Postby wur1 » August 7th, 2007, 12:15 am

Perfect Dark.  If they ported it to a modern engine and kept the levels and weapons intact and only improved the physics, it would still blow away any FPS today.

Super C and Contra come close, as well.

Dennis

Postby Dennis » August 7th, 2007, 4:25 pm

[QUOTE=JasonhasRSI][QUOTE=BigOldCar]Critic, you're absolutely right about Centipede being that rare game that crosses the gender divide.  I'd never even heard of it (I was like ten at the time) before this woman at the church community center started talking about how much she enjoyed it.

However, the answer to your question... the greatest game ever... Ever, in all the history of video games... indeed, the history of the WORLD... bar none, hands down, is... is...

TETRIS!  Doesn't matter what version, what console.  Tetris just rules.  It just RULES, I tell you!  It's so simple it's even been successfully ported to keychains, for goodness sake.  It was even backwards ported to the 2600 (homebrew, sure, but what other modern game can you say that about?)

Tetris is the best thing to come out of Russia since Vodka.  Oh, and rocketry.
[/QUOTE]

Can you honestly say that Tetris is a fun game? Addictive, yes. Ridiculously monotonous and mind-numbing after a bit, indeed.
[/QUOTE]

I can say that.  I almost picked Tetris as my top game.  It's just one of those games that I know will never, ever get old.  I get a jones for Tetris once a month or so, but sometimes years and years pass before I want to play, say, Super Mario World again... even though it's one of my all-time favorite games.

Tourian

Postby Tourian » August 7th, 2007, 6:39 pm

[QUOTE=JasonhasRSI]In my opinion, the greatest game ever made needs to be instantly fun and addicting the moment you lay hands to it, with an elegant enough control scheme and presentation to hold up for many, many years. So I'm going with Tecmo Super Bowl. Years ahead of its time and still great fun to this day, it's a game that never gets old and achievements near perfect balance between simplicity and nuanced, skill-based gameplay.

[/QUOTE]

I agree, Tecmo Super Bowl is definitely in the conversation.  Other NES games that could contend for the top spot include:

Contra
Life Force
Super Mario Bros. 1-3
Mega Man 2
Ninja Gaiden

What a great system! 

Carl1

Postby Carl1 » August 8th, 2007, 12:46 am

No Doubt...I'm a hockey nut...nobody has mentioned NHL '94. I've been playing this game since it came out (1993...I was 7 and have been playing ever since..the game was a HUGE part of my child hood) and have loved every minute of it. Sure the graphics aren't the best, and if you know all the ins and outs, its easy to destroy the CPU but I have been known to do an entire Best of Seven Playoffs with the New Jersey Devils (my favorite team) in one Day. Give me a rainy day and one game to play and NHL '94 is easily my number one game.

Return to “Video Games General”