The 5 Greatest Game Systems of All Time

General and high profile video game topics.
Brett Weiss

Postby Brett Weiss » August 12th, 2007, 8:35 am

What are the five greatest video game systems of all time? In my opinion, in order, they are:

1. PlayStation2
2. ColecoVision
3. NES
4. Atari 2600
5. Super NES

To read my reasoning behind the list, click on the following:

http://brettweisswords.blogspot.com/

Steerforth

Postby Steerforth » August 12th, 2007, 8:58 am

I'm too lazy to click on your blog. Sorry.

chrisbid1

Postby chrisbid1 » August 12th, 2007, 9:58 am

the playstation 2 has a lot of great games, due to its extremely obese library. as far as the hardware, its not a great system.

andrew

Postby andrew » August 12th, 2007, 10:56 am

[QUOTE=chrisbid]the playstation 2 has a lot of great games, due to its extremely obese library. as far as the hardware, its not a great system.[/QUOTE]

Who says greatest is based on system specifications? The list should be based off of games offered and the controller. And really these lists will probably have bias.

1. Atari VCS
2. NES
3. N64
4. PS2
5. Intellivision

The VCs is the clear winner, the NES brought gaming back and is a joy to play, N64 has amazing games (goldeneye, perfect dark, blast corps to name a few), PS2 had great control, great games, backwards compatible and sold like crazy. Finally the Intellivision had great gems like shark shark, beauty and the beast, night stalker, skiing and most importantly the most advanced game of its time B-17 bomber.

john-boy

Postby john-boy » August 12th, 2007, 11:50 am

[QUOTE=andrew]Who says greatest is based on system specifications?[/QUOTE]

Agree

1. ZX Spectrum

2. C64
3. Playstation
4. DS
5. NES

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » August 12th, 2007, 12:10 pm

Everyone seems to have spelled "Genesis/ Mega Drive" incorrectly in the number one spot on all of their lists. 

Luke

Postby Luke » August 12th, 2007, 12:11 pm

1. Playstation2
2. NES
3. SNES
4. Genesis
5. Gameboy

chrisbid1

Postby chrisbid1 » August 12th, 2007, 12:25 pm

the PSP has a ton of great games, but the system is so sloppy that it greatly detracts those games.

thats simply an example

the list was greatest consoles of all time, not great game libraries of all time.

soporj1

Postby soporj1 » August 12th, 2007, 12:26 pm

[QUOTE=Brett Weiss]What are the five greatest video game systems of all time? In my opinion, in order, they are:

1. PlayStation2
2. ColecoVision
3. NES
4. Atari 2600
5. Super NES
[/QUOTE]

My list:
1. Commodore 64
2. Intellivision
3. Playstation 2
4. Super Nintendo
5. Nintendo DS

[QUOTE=Brett Weiss]To read my reasoning behind the list, click on the following:

http://brettweisswords.blogspot.com/
[/QUOTE]

Why don't you just post your reasoning to this message board rather than making everyone go to your blog? These message boards are not here to drive traffic to your site and buy your book (in my opinion anyway).

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » August 12th, 2007, 12:46 pm

As the Colecovision was always a favorite of mine, I'm glad to see that others like it too! I agree that System Specs mean nothing (The CD-I is a POWERFUL machine but has VERY few good games...The 2600 is outdated but has a glut of great games!)

My list:
1. Colecovision/Adam computer (throughout my long gaming career no machine has given me so much FUN!)
2. Commodore=>64
3. Atari 2600
4. Genesis
5. Nintendo DS (the NES was more important and gave me a lot of fun, but due to my illness and constant travel/hospital time, the DS/GBA combo-particularly the DSLite-has been a godsend). If I continued, 6.NES 7.PS2 8. Psx 9. SNES 10. Amiga computer

Return to “Video Games General”