The 5 Greatest Game Systems of All Time

General and high profile video game topics.
andrew

Postby andrew » August 12th, 2007, 1:15 pm

[QUOTE=chrisbid]the playstation 2 has a lot of great games, due to its extremely obese library. as far as the hardware, its not a great system.[/QUOTE]

Your wrong about the ps2 having weak hardware. Considering it only has 32mb ram, 4mb vram and a 294 mhz processor the graphic quality and scope of games that appeared on the system is very impressive. The xbox by comparison has a 733mhz processor, 64ram and 32vram. The ps2 competes quite nicely to the xbox and the graphic quality difference is mimimal overall in my opinion. Its not the specs its how you make full use of what you have. The PS3 is loaded but they aren't getting nearly the most out of it.

andrew

Postby andrew » August 12th, 2007, 1:19 pm

I forgot to add in the last post this interesting bit from wikipedia about the strong capability of the system.

"
  • Before the PS2 was even released in Japan, there were controversies over the capabilities of the PS2. Japan initially imposed export restrictions on the PS2. The PS2 was even said to contain parts, especially its powerful graphics hardware, which could be used in the guidance systems of military ballistic missiles.[17]
In 2000, four thousand PS2 units ended up in Iraq after being purchased from the USA and delivered by different couriers
"

Sounds pretty powerful to me.

Wallyworld1

Postby Wallyworld1 » August 12th, 2007, 2:28 pm

5 best systems ever.

1. NES
2. Sega Genesis
3. SNES
4. Colecovision/Adam Computer
5. Atari 2600

This list woulda been more fun if it was 5 favorite consoles of all time.

Anayo1

Postby Anayo1 » August 12th, 2007, 5:15 pm

[QUOTE=Atarifever]Everyone seems to have spelled "Genesis/ Mega Drive" incorrectly in the number one spot on all of their lists. 
[/QUOTE]

Ahem!

1. Sega Genesis
(Gunstar Heroes, Sonic, Shining Force)
2. Nintendo 64
(Goldeneye, Zelda, Banjo Kazooie)
3. Nintendo Gamecube
(Metroid Prime, Zelda Windwaker, Super Smash Bros Melee)
4. NES
(Mario 3, Zelda)
5. Sega Saturn
(Shining Force 3, Nights into Dreams, Panzer Dragoon)

Also, I think web blogs suck.

Gramms

Postby Gramms » August 12th, 2007, 6:03 pm

[QUOTE=Anayo]
Also, I think web blogs suck.
[/QUOTE]

Shouldn't that be "web logs?" Because "blog" is the combination of web + log.  That's where it got the "B" in the first place. So "web blogs" basically means "web web logs."  Haha, sorry.

Viper821

Postby Viper821 » August 12th, 2007, 6:42 pm

Here's my top 5:
1. Super Nintendo
2. Nintendo
3. Playstation 2
4. Game Boy Advance
5. Atari 2600

Brett Weiss

Postby Brett Weiss » August 13th, 2007, 8:39 am

[QUOTE=soporj]Why don't you just post your reasoning to this message board rather than making everyone go to your blog?[/QUOTE]

It's a rather long article.

cyberdalek

Postby cyberdalek » August 14th, 2007, 2:31 pm

my list:

1. SNES
2. Genesis
3. NES
4. VCS
5. Game Boy

BigOldCar

Postby BigOldCar » August 14th, 2007, 4:18 pm

This is how I'd rank 'em:
  1. Genesis - This is where gaming really grew up
  2. PSOne - Picked up where the Genny left off, and introduced us all to TRUE 3-D
  3. NES - Revitalized the industry and saved us all from the tyranny and ineptitude of Atari
  4. GameBoy - Gave us all gaming on the go, without having to stop regularly for batteries... and it's still going
  5. xBox - The graphical king of its generation, it dispensed with the need for memory cards, offered PC gaming on your TV set, made online play what it is today... and played four right out of the box

Edward M

Postby Edward M » August 15th, 2007, 2:20 am

I'm not a big fan of Pre NES gaming, so none of those systems will make the list.  sorry.

1.Super Nintendo -   This system represented the best video game company ever at the top of their game.  Mario, Zelda and  Metroid all had their best 2d games on this system.  Also it had some amazing 3rd party titles like the best port of smash TV, The best pre SOTN Castlevania, The best Contra, the Best Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, Axelay, etc...   This system just rocks hard in every single way.   No matter what type of gamer you are, RPG fan, platformer fan, racing fan, shooter fan, there is an amazing game on this system for you.

2.PS2 -  The best selling system of all time, and deservingly so.  While not as powerful as its competition, it delievered some killer titles.  Shadow of the Collusus, Devil May Cry 3, God of War 2, Metal Gear Solid 3,  Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter, Final Fantasy X, Rygar, Sly Cooper, Katamari Damacy.    And if you get bored of new games, the PS2 has a ton of great Oldies collection which give you a ton of value for the money.   Capcom Classics, Sega Genesis Collection, Midway Collections, Megaman and Megaman X collections, Taito Collection...   Pretty much this is a system defined by an overload of games.

3.NES -The System that saved gaming.  Mario 1+2+3 Zelda, Contra, Rygar, Jackal, Kirbys Adventure, Megaman, Battletoads, Double Dragon 2, River City Ranson, Castlevania 1 + 3, Ice Hockey, Marbel Madness, Ninja Gaiden and Mike Tyson's Punchout.  Need I say more?

4.PS1-  I dont like most of the mainstream games for this system (OK FFVII MGS RE2 and Crash are pretty cool).   This seems to be a system where the obscure unique games saved the system.   Games like Final Fantasy Tactics,  Oddworld, IQ, Tomba, Castlevania SOTN, RType Delta, and Einhander made the system great.   And who can forget the awesome Dual Analog controller for the system.  There seems to be a ton of amazing obscure titles to discover for this system.  I believe they made thousands of games for this system.

5.GBA -   While the original Gameboy was certainly no stinker, most of its games seemed rather lacking compared to their console counter parts.  This changed with the GBA where it got some amazing games like the Metroidvanias, the awesome new metroids,  A bunch of awesome tacticle RPGs, Advance Wars, Mario and Luigi, an awesome Mario Kart Game...   The only shame is they didn't make any new mario platformers for it.  But this system felt over all like  a portable SNES...   well almost.

And now time for the honorable mention.
6.Neo Geo (cartridge edition)-  Now here is a perfect niche system.  It costs 600 bucks, and its games are all over 100 bucks.  It has amazing joystick controllers, amazing 2d graphics, and the very best shooters and fighters out there.   But thats all it had.  If this system had different genres of games like the previous ones, it might be number one on the list.   But instead it stands at a respectable six and is probably the best 600 dollar system ever (sorry PS3)

7.Nintendo DS Lite-   something tells me this will be on the Top 5 someday. (maybe even the number one spot)  But less than halfway through its career, I already consider it the 7th best system of all time.   The touch screen turned out to be more than just a silly gimmick as it delivered new gaming experiences in games like Wario Ware Touched, Kirby, and Meteos.   Not only that, it has tons of quality "standard" games like New Super Mario Bros,  Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow, Yoshis Island 2, the best mario kart game ever, Sonic Rush, Mario and Luigi 2. Unlike the PSP it gets a ton of original games like Phoenix Wright, and the best pinball game of all time, Metroid Pinball, which the DS proves to be a perfect system for.   It has an amazing screen and design to it, unlike the PSP. It has a ton of new games coming like an awesome contra, and a new zelda game which is getting fantastic reviews.

8.Nintendo 64 - Mario 64, Paper Mario, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Banjo Kazoiee, Conker's BFD, Zelda.   It didn't get many games, but the games it got rocked.   And I love its controller because I got 3 hands.

9.Sega Genesis - I guess you can see which Side I chose in the 16th bit era.   I never liked the controller for this system, and I felt this system was lacking compared to the SNES.   But still, the SNES is the greatest of all time, so every system is lacking compared to it.  Regardless, its a very Quality system, with some awesome shooters like Gunstar Heroes, awesome platformers like Sonic and Decap Attack (Shutup it rocks)   Also it had some action RPGS I like.This is certainly a quality system.    But still this system is pretty overrated which is why it isn't ranked anywhere near the SNES.

10.  Xbox -  It got off to a slow start, but it has built a quality library, with the amazing Ninja Gaiden, the great Halo 2 games,Panzer Dragoon orta and Morrowind.   Ok its list of exclusives isn't that great but it happened to get the best version of almost all multiplatform games.  Also it was the 1st system to have a harddrive and network card, and it was the 1st system to get online gaming right.   While it may not be up to PS2 standards, it has earned its place in history.

Return to “Video Games General”