The last 7800 thread...

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Alienblue

The last 7800 thread...

Postby Alienblue » August 24th, 2007, 4:42 am

Zen- you are overstating things a bit.

I play 2600 games on the 7800 all the time. It has both a "level select" and a-b difficulty switches (hidden under the front lip) -it lacks only the B/W switch.

You are correct that some games won't play on it though. I can't get my SPECTRAVISION or KONAMI carts to fit.

Atarifever1

The last 7800 thread...

Postby Atarifever1 » August 24th, 2007, 6:03 am

[QUOTE=Alienblue]Zen- you are overstating things a bit.
[/QUOTE]
I'll say.  It has some pretty strong Backwards compatability considering the size of the library and how limited even modern backward compatability is.  I don't own a 2600 anymore at all because the 7800 plays all the 2600 games I want it to.  Then of course, I'm only into playing good 2600 games, so between it playing Imagic, Activision, Atari, 20th Century Fox, Parker Bros, and Coleco games, I think I've got it covered.

Alienblue

The last 7800 thread...

Postby Alienblue » August 24th, 2007, 12:30 pm

Well, AF, Zen really was overstating the console capability (Zen- no hard feelings; it is very hard to find those A/B switches, and many 7800 owners are not aware they exist...feel under the front lip, there are 2 sets of TINY switches there-SELECT is clearly labled though, next to reset. No B/W switch but the only games I know that use it are Starmaster and a few select 20th century fox games like Turmoil use it to Pause..but the 7800 HAS a pause switch for 7800 games) but there are,sadly, several good games you miss if you only have a 7800. PLANET PATROL by Spectrvideo is a great shooter, as is POLARIS by Tigervision, neither will work on the 7800. Konami carts won't quite fit either, and I happen to like 2600 Pooyan and Marine wars.Also, I've not bought any homebrews but there are several I'd like that may not play. I would reccomend you get a good cheap 2600 unit for these games
(BTW, does the SUPERCHARGER work on the 7800?).

Zenzerotron

The last 7800 thread...

Postby Zenzerotron » August 25th, 2007, 1:51 pm

Not having Tigervision games fit is a dealbreaker for me.

I'm a fan of "Planet Patrol" also,  but Tigervision's greatest masterpiece is "Cross Force". I couldn't live without "Cross Force".

Also, the b&w switch is used for another favorite of mine, "Commando Raid", it toggles an auto-fire feature, and with auto-fire on, I destroy all the top scores listed on Atariage, but without it on, I can't do as well.

Alienblue...every played "Fantasic Voyage"?  I roughly put it in the same category as "Planet Patrol", it's a quirky interesting little shooter that nobody seems to know about. I enjoy this game quite a bit also.

Another one I enjoy that people usually speak poorly of is "M.A.D". I don't see how it's inferior to "Atlantis" and "Commando Raid". For whatever stupid reason, I like the farty little jingles this game has. Especially when it's game-over, it's like the game is farting at you for losing.

Leo Ames

The last 7800 thread...

Postby Leo Ames » August 25th, 2007, 6:53 pm

If I remember right, pause also is the B&W switch on the 7800.

Mine plays everything I've thrown at it including titles known to have issues on certain revisions of the console, such as Time Pilot and Robot Tank. I own no Tigervision cartridges, but the code does play at least through a Cuttle Cart II.

Supercharger titles play on a 7800 through use of a Cuttle Cart II, though I seem to recall the original hardware might not work with it (Could damage the Supercharger it seems like was the reason).

N64Dude1

The last 7800 thread...

Postby N64Dude1 » February 7th, 2009, 1:35 pm

I'll tell you why that terrible Atari 7800 failed!

Atari simply didn't know what to do after the Crash they didn't think consoles would come back so they had a computer,but they wanted to still profit on there golden goose the Atari 2600.Then NES came back and prooved the console industry still worked,naturally Atari would try to bring back the dead and outdated prototype back into exitence with no 3rd party support.

The 7800 was marketed as a hardcore system,no hardcore system can match a casual system on glut. 7800 was also the 3rd system because XEGS was a computer and Jr a revision,every 3rd system from a dominating company gets cursed to failing and becoming laughed at [what happened 10 years later to the Nintendo 64,how about 20 years later with the PS3?]. But the last 2 at least tried to get support,Atari didn't even try,they probably figured the arcade classics would do it.

Jaguar was flawed with hardware,it was practically at the same level as Saturn if programmed right but nowhere near the N64 or Dreamcast. I'm pretty sure Jaguar was harder to program for than Saturn despite the dual processor thing.Personally I'd rather play a Jaguar over the Atari 7800 if I had to die playing a failed Atari system.

Atarifever1

The last 7800 thread...

Postby Atarifever1 » February 7th, 2009, 7:15 pm

[QUOTE=N64Dude]Gibberish
[/QUOTE]
Bravo sir; you have topped even your ET thread.

They did not think the console market would come back "so they had a computer."  Do you mean the computer line perhaps?  The one started in 1979?  "They didn't think it consoles would come back from the crash so they had a computer" implies they created computers only after th crash.  Their 8-bit line was developed years before the crash, so when Tramiel (a computer guy) bought the company, he just kept selling computers, as Atari had done for years.  It's like saying "McDonalds stopped making those mini pizzas, so they had a Big Mac." 

When the NES came back, yes, they put out the three systems they had on hand to make some cash.  After that, it appears you had a schizophrenic finish the post for you, so I cannot tell if that idea went anywhere.  There appears to be something about the 7800 being outdated hardware.  That's not true.  It was designed in 83/84 or so.  Guess what year the famicom released in Japan?  It wasn't outdated, so much as it was designed to do what American gamers wanted in the early 80s, while the NES was designed to do something else, somewhere else, at the exact same time.  Try to get a good Robotron running flicker-free on the NES and then tell me if early 80s tastes had held the NES wouldn't be remembered as woefully underpowered. In 1986, I doubt very much you would have known that gamers wanted an entirely different type of game than they had wanted just two years before.

As for the end of your post, you claim that the Jaguar was nowhere near the N64 or Dreamcast.  Of course it was nowehere close to the Dreamcast.  That's a system from the next generation.  That's like saying "sure the N64 is alright, but it's hardly the PS3."  Was someone implying the Jaguar had to keep up with a system from an entire generation later?

N64Dude1

The last 7800 thread...

Postby N64Dude1 » February 7th, 2009, 10:26 pm

Will stop acting like I'm Kim/aa/Stalin,and if your going to laugh at my post that has at least somewhat true answers can you at least type it out right instead of  putting down "Gibberish"

Fine Atarifever I'll give you that but you can't deny the audio,thats extremely far back I actually tried a few of those games "worse" than E.T. but only Custer's Revenge came even remotley close,and the E.T. thread was supposed to be a thread where people could share the game they wish they never played mine simply ahppened to be E.T.

Yes I did,but I do know for a fact it wasn't until NES that any company thought the industry could come back and excuse me for not knowing exactly when all that started

Late NES games almost rival late Master System games [Wario's Woods and that Kirby Adventure game come to mind]

As for the Jaguar thing I'm simply laughing with another poster at the AtariAge guys who actually  so no  and quite ironic that you compare N64 with PS3 no not in that way,but both are cursed by the hardly casual marketing and being graphics monstrosities for their time only to loose to the more casual based system just like the 7800.

Gentlegamer1

The last 7800 thread...

Postby Gentlegamer1 » February 9th, 2009, 12:37 pm

I've never played a 7800, but discussions on this site and elsewhere make me want to play it. I'm sure I don't want to own one, but it would rock to be buds/neighbors with some of you guys so I could play some Robotron and other arcade games.

Atarifever1

The last 7800 thread...

Postby Atarifever1 » February 9th, 2009, 1:23 pm

[QUOTE=Gentlegamer]I've never played a 7800, but discussions on this site and elsewhere make me want to play it. I'm sure I don't want to own one, but it would rock to be buds/neighbors with some of you guys so I could play some Robotron and other arcade games.

[/QUOTE]
Owning one's not a bad proposition really.  They're only about $30, and you can get the arcade classics (Joust, Dig Dug, MS. PacMan, Mario Bros, Donkey Kong, DK Jr., Xevious, Robotron, etc) the system does so well for a few bucks each.  Then drop a bit bigger money on PacMan Collection, Beef Drop, BonQ, Space Duel, Asteroids Deluxe, and Space Invaders, and you really will not regret the purchase at all.  This is especially true if you don't already have a 2600, as you can then use it to build up a really cheap collection of good, loose 2600 games. 

Return to “Classic Gaming”