Dreamcast Controller

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Boston

Dreamcast Controller

Postby Boston » February 18th, 2006, 4:38 pm

For once, I would have to agree with Saturn-X. Although I am not sure what his stance on the PS2 controller is, since I think it is the best controller of all time. Anyway, I also thought that the Dreamcast controller just felt cheap and it was a tad too big.....

Boston

Atarifever1

Dreamcast Controller

Postby Atarifever1 » February 18th, 2006, 7:08 pm

[QUOTE=Boston]

For once, I would have to agree with Saturn-X. Although I am not sure what his stance on the PS2 controller is, since I think it is the best controller of all time. Anyway, I also thought that the Dreamcast controller just felt cheap and it was a tad too big.....

Boston

[/QUOTE]
Better...than the power glove?  Now let's not say anything we can't take back here. 

I am of the opposite opinion with the PS2.  I think the Cube and Xbox (not the Duke) controllers beat it by a country mile.  I can't stand the side by side analogs,  the stacked shoulder buttons, or the feel of the four main buttons.  I think it's my last favoirte controller.  However, I mentioned somewhere before, maybe it was here somewhere, that I skipped the PS1 generation for the most part and my first in-depth 3d gaming experiences were on the Cube.  Given the similarity of the Cube and xbox's analog placement, and two "shoulder buttons", it probably isn't urprising that I find the PS2 to have an odd layout.  That's just not the way I learned 3D.

sega saturn x

Dreamcast Controller

Postby sega saturn x » February 19th, 2006, 9:23 am

My stance on the playsation pad is it's a good all around controller, pretty comfy too even if it isn't all that erganomic.  But it doesn't do any genre perticularly well (x box-fps cube-platfomrers) but it doesn't hinder them either.  And why sony continues to keep the analog sticks side by side baffles me still. 

bluemonkey1

Dreamcast Controller

Postby bluemonkey1 » February 19th, 2006, 10:35 am

SSX if you're looking for a decent stick for the DC I recommend this one:-

http://www.segagagadomain.com/hardware/dc-arcadestick-f.jpg

It was the official stick in the UK and Japan but believe it was called the ASCII stick or something like that in US.  Very sturdy, nice heavy base and good quality.  I find it comfortable in my lap too .

I though JGR was one of the biggest selling DC titles, and in Europe it also became a pack in title.

The PS2 controller is pretty good though I don't like the d-pad for fighters but it's compact shape combined with the huge number of buttons is great.  I found it a challenge to get the balance right at first but once I did it just clicked.  Though I prefer to use the non Dual-stick PS1 controller as much as possible.  The Cube controller is alright but has some pretty major flaws in my opinion.  The c-stick is rubbish and as a result the controller is just awful for FPS.  I can also see what they were going for with the big A button but I find it impossible to hold two buttons down at once like they designed it for.  It's just a plain bad idea to design a controller that has to have games tailored for it rather than making it as versatile as possible.

sega staurn x

Dreamcast Controller

Postby sega staurn x » February 19th, 2006, 4:10 pm

That cast stick does look really nice, know of aay web sites they sell them?

Paul Campbell

Dreamcast Controller

Postby Paul Campbell » February 21st, 2006, 5:19 am

[QUOTE=Boston]

Boston

[/QUOTE]

My vote for best controller of all time has got to go to the Gamecube.  It's got the nice dual analog pads, but the button configuration is the easiest to use without looking that I have ever experienced.  The PS2 controller sucks for me because, in a pinch,  always find myself looking down to see what button is the circle or the triangle or whatever.  On the GC controller, the A button is the big one, the B is the small one, and the others are easy to find.  Much more manageable to me.

Boston

Dreamcast Controller

Postby Boston » February 21st, 2006, 12:40 pm

The Cube? I think Fischer Price made the controllers for the Gamecube! They are junk! I guess to each his/her own........

John Rowland

Dreamcast Controller

Postby John Rowland » February 21st, 2006, 1:01 pm

[QUOTE=Paul Campbell]The PS2 controller sucks for me because, in a pinch,  always find myself looking down to see what button is the circle or the triangle or whatever.  On the GC controller, the A button is the big one, the B is the small one, and the others are easy to find.  Much more manageable to me.[/QUOTE]

You obviously haven't spent enough time with the Playstation.  I haven't had to look down at that controller for about 11 years.

Atarifever1

Dreamcast Controller

Postby Atarifever1 » February 21st, 2006, 2:17 pm

[QUOTE=Boston]

The Cube? I think Fischer Price made the controllers for the Gamecube! They are junk! I guess to each his/her own........

[/QUOTE]
I don't know who made the PS2 controller.  Whoever it was is very smart because they managed to produce something that odd to use and then convince the general gaming public that it was the way things should be.  Why in the world should the most comfortable position (where the d-pad is) be given to the d-pad when it's been years since that was the default control option?  That's just silly.  The Dreamcast, GameCube, and Xbox (and now 360) controller designers all realized that ages ago.  Like I said, perhaps it's just the way I've gotten used to 3D, but I really can't see prefering the PS2 pad. 

chrisbid1

Dreamcast Controller

Postby chrisbid1 » February 21st, 2006, 5:09 pm

[QUOTE=Atarifever][QUOTE=Boston]

[/QUOTE]
I don't know who made the PS2 controller.  Whoever it was is very smart because they managed to produce something that odd to use and then convince the general gaming public that it was the way things should be.  Why in the world should the most comfortable position (where the d-pad is) be given to the d-pad when it's been years since that was the default control option?  That's just silly.  The Dreamcast, GameCube, and Xbox (and now 360) controller designers all realized that ages ago.  Like I said, perhaps it's just the way I've gotten used to 3D, but I really can't see prefering the PS2 pad. 
[/QUOTE]

thats what ive been screaming for years, the button layout is ok i suppose, but the analog sticks are terrible, they were an addon from the original design, and they have yet to make the switch

Return to “Classic Gaming”