Need more classic reviews?

General and high profile video game topics.
Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » March 7th, 2006, 7:12 am

I am biased as I prefer older reviews. I never even read the
reviews on PS2 or Xbox games unless it is something unusual, like an old style shooter or classic collection. (or the game gets an
F! I like to read reviews were Dave really trashes the game!)

If it were up to me I'd say you are overall doing good but maybe add just a LITTLE bit more classic stuff.

And SSX, you can't tell if a game you never heard of is good. There are rules but always exceptions. Activision USUALLY made high quality stuff but even they screwed up on their 2600
Double Dragon and F-16 games. In contrast, PANDA is a bad 2600 company yet relesed two really good games on the 7800.
The more clasic reviews here, the better!

Cafeman1

Postby Cafeman1 » March 7th, 2006, 5:40 pm

I prefer more classic reviews to modern reviews. Overall, I think your mix has always been very good. 

sega saturn x

Postby sega saturn x » March 9th, 2006, 4:06 pm

The point I was trying to get across is if you buy a bad classic game you're out about 5$ (depending of course) if you buy a bad modern game you're out 50$.  That's why I would rather see more modern reviews because if you buy a bad classic game what does it matter?  But wasting 50$ on a new game can stick with you for a bit.

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » March 9th, 2006, 7:10 pm

Because modern games you can go and watch videos and decide yourself or rent.  Whereas there are a LOT of bad old games that will cause the $5 to quickly wrack up.

soporj1

Postby soporj1 » March 10th, 2006, 12:48 am

I'd like to see the VGC review all the new Intellivision carts that have been released the last couple of years:

4-Tris

Stonix

Minehunter

Same Game & Robots

As well as the upcoming carts:

Illusions

Deep Pockets

Defender of the Crown (yes, the old Cinemaware game is being ported to the Intellivision!)

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » March 10th, 2006, 2:10 pm

Yes! I second the idea that you NEED MORE HOMEBREW reviews.
Maybe even a special section devoted to "homebrews"?

Bluemonkey-I'm sorry to keep disagreeing with you, we all have our opinions but "old games only cost 5 bucks anyway"!???
Ok, maybe PAC MAN and SPACE INVADERS but the majority of old 2600 games are in the ten-twelve buck range now and homebrews are
$30 and up. And of course some classic games (2600 ELI'S LADDER-
RETAIL PRICE $1,083!!!!) are FAR more expensive then modern games. Ok, you can download some via emulator but not ALL, and not all that you can work. That is why I am grateful for
ATARIPROTOS.COM - reviews of super rare games.

Doesn't ELI'S LADDER SOUND interesting? Aren't you glad I'm here to tell you it is just a sucky educational game- answer problems and a butt ugly ET climbs ladders? Yeh, thats a GRAND game!

We need a balance of both, and Dave does a decent job but I agree the temptaion to review morderns is always there because they are Soooo much easier to get.

How 'bout it Dave? More homebrews? Any chance?

Return to “Video Games General”