PS3 launch delayed for AACS implementation

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Sudz1

Postby Sudz1 » March 15th, 2006, 9:55 am

Wanna know exactly WHY the PS3 launch is being delayed?  So that Sony can work out the technical issues of implementing AACS for their much-hyped Blu-Ray technology.  What does this mean for consumers?  A major screwing, of course!  The amount of spin the industry is putting on this supposed 'copy protection' is incredible, and the more they talk about what a great thing this is for consumers, the more you know it's going to end up biting us in the ass.  While Sony is claiming they won't be using the Image Contraint Token, the fact that such an animal exists tells you they don't care about the consumer.  How does their DVD *not* playing on my hi-def television just because it doesn't have an HDMI interface 'help' me? 

"Sony: We'll Screw You Every Way We Can"

http://gear.ign.com/articles/691/691408p1.html

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 15th, 2006, 8:41 pm

Sony's in trouble.  I think they're decision to use blu-ray has turned out to be an expensive proposition as well.  Now the Xbox will have a commanding headstart, and with Nintendo doing all the innovating, where does that leave Sony?

sega saturn x

Postby sega saturn x » March 15th, 2006, 9:59 pm

Sonys parania will be the death of them, first they were increadibly tight fisted with the psps firmware.  And now there making the consumer wait to sort this crap out, it's going to be cracked in 2 months anyway so why bother.

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » March 16th, 2006, 5:09 am

No different to some of the copy protection in the XBoxes.  And Vista is going to be real heavy on the DRM side.  It's just the way of the future.

Blu-Ray does offer many advantages over HD-DVD.  And within a year the manufacturing costs will come right down.  After 2 - 3 years it will cost the same to produce as HD-DVD media and drive.  Once that happens Sony will be in a comfortable position with better media at the same price.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » March 16th, 2006, 11:54 am

So, what's the deal with the PS3 harddrive?  Gamespot is saying that they said all games will require a harddrive, but that they are considering if the market will let them sell it seperately.

[QUOTE] The SCE president also told the crowd that the PS3 would use a 60GB 2.5-inch hard disc drive (HDD). A slide show during the presentation said the HDD would be loaded with the Linux operating system instead of Microsoft's Windows OS. The show also said it could be used as a "home server," could be directly connected to the Internet, and would be fully "upgradable."

Kutaragi also made it clear that the hard drive will be necessary to play games--Sony is telling developers to make games assuming every PS3 has a hard drive installed. "We view the hard drive to be mandatory for the PS3," he said. "Rather than have developers create games for the PS3 with or without the HDD, we will be asking them to develop games as though all PS3s have the HDD installed."

However, Kutaragi revealed that Sony had not decided whether or not the PlayStation 3 would come with the hard-drive preinstalled. "We might end up installing it in all PS3s, though that depends on the market," he said. This raises the possibility that the PS3 could be sold without a piece of hardware needed to play PS3 games--in effect forcing consumers to buy a peripheral for basic functionality.

[/QUOTE]
 They can't really have said that could they?  There's no way any company could really ever think that was a good idea, not even Sony.  A required perephrial?  That's crazy talk. 

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » March 16th, 2006, 12:46 pm

By the way, is anyone else starting to think that Sony seems to be forgetting that they are making what is essentially a gaming machine and not a DVD player or computer?  They are trying to push their new Blu-Ray thing so hard by including it in this system that it may lead to further delays and costs, (Microsoft made the right choice I think by saying screw that, we'll include HDDVD later if we can) and they are now talking about making the HDD manditory and upgradeable (while I believe MS has gone the correct route by making it optional for those of us who want to spend the extra money on some games).   Anyone else wondering what "upgradeable" means?   My computer is upgradeable in the extreme, which is why I'm not much of a PC gamer.  Of course, maybe they mean upgradeable like PSP firmware: Yah!  Headaches all around!
 I'm started to think my next gen prediction should have been Xbox 360 beating the PS3 afterall. 

Return to “Modern Gaming”