Bring back the Dreamcast?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » February 15th, 2008, 8:29 am

I am bored this morning and when I'm bored that's trouble because I POST stuff! BEWARE!

So, okay I was thinking of when The NES and SMS were battling it out as top-dollar systems, and Atari 7800 was a slightly cheaper system but still a Competitor, some companies offered older "BUDGET" systems that were not even MEANT to be state of the art but cut the others costwise and offered DIFFERENT kinds of games. The two main ones were the INTELLIVISION 3 (about $60) and the TELEGAMES PERSONAL ARCADE-a white COLECOVISION with pad controls that was offered by mail order for $49.99. Oh, we also had the 2600 Junior for $29.99.

So, could that work today? I was thinking, could some company pick up the rights to the DREAMCAST....or possibly some other good system like NEOGEO or 3DO... and offer the past library of games with perhaps a few newly programmed titles and/or titles that had been Japanese only? I've never played a Dremcast myself but from what I've heard and seen it looks dang near as powerful as the PS2. If it was sold for say $99.99 with $29 games, really GOOD games, would you buy it? Do you think others would? What system would you like to see brought back?

DNC

Postby DNC » February 15th, 2008, 8:58 am

i cant see the neo geo coming back it's only been 4 years since the last first party game was released and less than a year since snk stopped repairing machines, without the MVS i don't see them bothering with the AES.

however the dreamcast. now there have been some interesting developments of late with Sega renewing their dreamcast copyrights and patents etc including dreamcast related dance mats and flash memory cards which were never released back in the day, though Sega have made no comment on the subject of a re-release or dreamcast 2.

kev

Postby kev » February 15th, 2008, 9:00 am

The problem with that is last time I checked the ps2 was selling for $99 and the gamecube for $50, plus with the huge amount of high quality used games for these systems being sold at decent prices, the dream cast wouldn't be able to compete at the prices you listed.

Viper821

Postby Viper821 » February 15th, 2008, 10:16 am

I've played the Dreamcast and I cannot stand it. Sure it has some good exclusives, but it's noisy, the quality is poor, the graphics are a big step down from later PS2 titles and the controller has to be amongst the all time worst. I rank it down there with the GameCube and you all know what I think of that machine.

Besides, we already have a budget system. It's called the PS2 and it's taking care of that end of the market quite well. Dreamcast would only sell in a tiny niche market and I can't see that existing to any serious degree outside of Japan.

So, to answer your question no I would not. It would have to be dirt cheap (~$25 with ~$10 games) for me to consider a purchase.

Knox

Postby Knox » February 15th, 2008, 10:35 am

I see the PS2 at $130 always, but I agree, that already has the market covered.

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » February 15th, 2008, 1:01 pm

[QUOTE=DNC]
however the dreamcast. now there have been some interesting developments of late with Sega renewing their dreamcast copyrights and patents etc including dreamcast related dance mats and flash memory cards which were never released back in the day, though Sega have made no comment on the subject of a re-release or dreamcast 2.
[/QUOTE]

Don't tease me.  Are you teasing me?  You better not be teasing me.  You cheeky-monkey!

That would be so fricken cool.  And not just because I love the Dreamcast, but because it would just be so cool to see this cheap rogue system come in at a great price and take on all the high-priced competition.  Of course I would buy into it, but I would be even more excited to watch how it fairs against the competition and to do my own personal advertising campaign amongst my friends, like I always have with the original Dreamcast. 

Leo Ames

Postby Leo Ames » February 16th, 2008, 2:15 am

Its normal practice to protect your copyrights and patents, I wouldn't put anything into that.

wur1

Postby wur1 » February 16th, 2008, 3:14 am

I actually thought of this idea too; but around 30$ for the system and 5/10$ per game is the most I'd pay.

BigOldCar

Postby BigOldCar » February 16th, 2008, 8:36 am

I have to agree: with the previous gen systems so plentiful and inexpensive, a relaunched Dreamcast wouldn't have a chance.  The horses have already left the gate, my friend.

wur1

Postby wur1 » February 16th, 2008, 3:31 pm

Maybe they could just port over some of the better games to the PS2 (Shenmue, Grandia 2, various shooters not released in the US etc.)  as budget titles?

I know they've re-released Rez and Ikaruga on Xbox live.  Maybe they could just do that?

Return to “Classic Gaming”