All the best Dreamcast games available on other systems.

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
MappyMousePD

Postby MappyMousePD » March 5th, 2008, 11:39 pm

The Dreamcast had a lot of games ported to other systems, yes, but often it was a sloppy port that didn't take advantage of the adoptive system's strengths.  Of the games listed here, Grandia 2 is the biggest offender.  Also, the charm of collecting for the Dreamcast isn't in the AAA titles, but the quirky and surprisingly good lesser known games on the system. 

Anonymous Prime

Postby Anonymous Prime » March 6th, 2008, 12:12 pm

[QUOTE=Not Paul]Look at the Gamecube, what are its A-rank exclusives?

Smash Bros Melee
Mario Kart Double Dash
Metroid Prime 1 and 2
Baten Kaitos 1 and 2
Tales of Symphonia
Star Fox Adventure (debatable)-definitely debatable
Rouge Squadron 2 and 3
Resident Evil 4
Viewtiful Joe
Windwaker
Twilight Princess
killer 7 (extremely debatable)
Now imagine if Smash Bros Melee, Mario Kart DD and the Baten Kaitos games were later ported to the ps2.  Imagine if the Rogue Squadron games and the Metroid Primes were then ported to the Xbox.  There would  hardly be any reason to own a Gamecube anymore.  And so the Gamecube would get worse.  I think that's what happened to the Dreamcast.  Can it really be The Best System when most of it's better exclusives have made it to other consoles? 

Other points I'd like to make...
- Ikaruga, another "A" Dreamcast title was later ported to the Gamecube.
- Sorry Andrew, but Hydro Thunder was garbage on N64.  The graphics held up okay, but it moves about half speed when compared to the Dreamcast/Arcade versions.

[/QUOTE]
Viewtiful Joe, RE4, and K7 were all ported to PS2, and as a result had sub-par graphics, slightly difficult control scheme, and a noticable difference (read: increase) in load times.

X-pert74

Postby X-pert74 » March 6th, 2008, 7:23 pm

[QUOTE=JasonhasRSI]A few notable Dreamcast games not available on other consoles:

Bangai-O: Thought it is coming to the DS at some point, there's no way the handheld version will match the intensity of the Dreamcast version. Great gameplay-focused shootemup from Treasure.

[/QUOTE]

You can import it for the N64, which had Bangai-O before the Dreamcast did.

N64Dude1

Postby N64Dude1 » January 26th, 2009, 2:43 pm

I like how they were all  ported over,that should have happened to all the good Saturn games like Panzer Dragoon,NiGHTS,and Astal,oh and Virtua Cop

That's a good thing because Dreamcasts are notorious for breaking anyway

a1

Postby a1 » January 27th, 2009, 12:01 am

Soul Caliber 1- downloadable on 360
Chu Chu Rocket- GBA
Virtua Tennis 3- (just as good as the original) 360 4-player

Luke

Postby Luke » January 27th, 2009, 2:36 am

Crazy Taxi, Dead or Alive 2, F355 Ferrari Challenge, Marvel vs Capcom 2, NBA 2K2, Tennis 2K2 (aka Sega Sports Tennis).. all looked and played much better on the Dreamcast than the PS2.

jbltecnicspro1

Postby jbltecnicspro1 » January 27th, 2009, 7:36 pm

I don't know about the other opinions, but I like having my Dreamcast because I just like the console.  I loved it back in 1999, and I still love it now.  Most of the Dreamcast games that I've played on other systems usually end up being inferior than the Dreamcast versions.  Ecco the Dolphin is a good example.  By reading Gamespot and IGN reviews, you'd think that the PS2 version would smash the Dreamcast, but it's not true.  Both sites claim the framerate is better in the PS2 version, and while it's true that it's more consistant, it's not necessarily better.   The PS2 version is capped at 30 fps, while the Dreamcast goes up to 60fps.  Dreamcast hovers between 30 and 60 all the time, so it seems more choppy because its framerate is going up and down constantly.  PS2 is pretty much always at 30 - but like the Dreamcast, it still tanks in the same areas (dipping below the 30fps mark).

Also, there are subtle differences which give the nod to the Dreamcast version.  Dreamcast seems to have sharper textures, and it can do Progressive Scan versus the PS2 version.  Also, it does realtime stencil shadows, whereas the PS2 uses a transparent texture for the shadows.  A good example is in the first level, Aquamarine Bay.  If you swim Ecco under the whale and look at their shadows, you'll notice that Ecco's shadow disappears in the DC version.  You swim a little to the side, and you'll see Ecco's shadow as an extension of the whale's shadow - making one giant shadow.  In the PS2 version, the shadows just overlap and become a little darker where Eccos and the Whale's shadow meet (I wish I could do video capture to explain what I'm talking about), making it look more artificial.  The Dreamcast is doing real shadows, while the PS2 is just applying a texture.  So with that said - the Dreamcast is actually rendering more, and manages to stay at a decent framerate during the whole game (save for some parts, where it absolutely bombs).

Also, the PS2 adds unneccesary ambient sounds to the mix - sounds that were reserved for the later worlds in the Dreamcast version.  But in the PS2's favor, the difficulty has been dialed down, and it's much easier to play.  So there - an overly technical explanation of Ecco Dreamcast versus Ecco PS2.

Return to “Classic Gaming”