3/29/2006: Atari 2600: Crossbow, No Escape!, Omega Race

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 30th, 2006, 6:17 pm

Post your thoughts here.

Michael Danehy

Postby Michael Danehy » March 30th, 2006, 7:44 pm

Many years ago I had Omega Race for 2600 and the special controller thing broke! I couldn't play it anymore!  I don't think that we paid much for it anyway, but it was a fun game. They really should've had an alternate control scheme requiring only the joystick. 

I remember my stupid paddle controllers got busted as well. Atari 2600 accessories weren't too durable.

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » March 31st, 2006, 5:36 am

Mike and others: I have Omega race too; I have heard lots of bad stories about the "booster" control (a marketting come -on more than anything-"look, you get a free controller!")-my Omega race had no booster grip. There was an article in a past 2600 CONNECTION newsletter on how to re-wire a 2600 stick so that UP would be thrust instead of the extra button; not being an electronics wizard I came up with another idea...the KEYBOARD controllers for 2600 (ANY key controllers; the old originals, one that came with star raiders, kids controller, what have you) can be used to control the ship, awkwardly-the keys are not in any "correct" sequence but, at least you CAN play. Other games can , too. INDY 500 requires special driving controllers but again you can use the keypad. And some paddle games, like CANYON BOMBER, will work with the joystick (press DOWN to drop bombs). Experiment!

In closing I would like to say that while this Omega race was ok, it is far from the coin-op. No ship icons in the center, or score display; everything is blinky and ragged and the number of ships/mines is limited ; the absolute BEST version I have played is without a doubt the Vic-20 computer cart! That even has an opening story, unique to games at the time-plus you can change the colors to anything you want! For console owners, a good Omega Race was made for COLECOVISION IF you play it with the roller controller (trakball)-joysticks hurt like crazy (see Daves review on this one).

VGC...what is a "cupcake" version? I know what a CHEESECAKE is but..

chrisbid1

Postby chrisbid1 » March 31st, 2006, 12:57 pm

2600 controllers are very durable, most CX40 sticks i come across in the wild work perfectly, paddles can be wonky, but are easily fixed with a little cleaning.

Omegamatrix

Postby Omegamatrix » April 1st, 2006, 6:26 pm

I never tryed No Escape! until I read about it in AA's high score club. In that thread there was a particularly good tip about how to kill the creatures. What most people don't realize is that their movements aren't erratic at all, but are actually controlled by your firing. It puts a whole new twist on the game as it suddenly makes sense and is more more controllable. It's best explained here:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=59&t=70078&hl=&view=findpost&p=861710

Mav

Postby Mav » April 19th, 2006, 12:59 pm

Speaking of Omega Race, the Vic-20 had a great version of it.

Return to “Review Feedback”