4/2/2006: Xbox 360: King Kong

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
Funkmaster V

Postby Funkmaster V » April 5th, 2006, 12:27 am

Anybody like the movie? Anybody think Peter Jackson needs to do a 2 hour movie for a change? Anybody think Jack Black is not a good actor when he's not funny?

Funkmaster V

Dennis

Postby Dennis » April 5th, 2006, 4:39 pm

LOVED the movie - and this is coming from someone who barely made it through LOTR due to pure boredom, and never saw LOTR:TT or FotR. 

The long scene that starts with Naomi Watts escaping from Kong in the morning, and ends with the film crew fighting off the giant bugs, is the most intense scene from any recent movie that I can think of.

My wife couldn't watch that scene, but she cried at the ending.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 5th, 2006, 6:37 pm

[QUOTE=Funkmaster V]

Anybody like the movie? Anybody think Peter Jackson needs to do a 2 hour movie for a change? Anybody think Jack Black is not a good actor when he's not funny?

Funkmaster V

[/QUOTE]

I'd give the movie a B.  Here are my two issues:
1. Peter Jackson needs to hire a freakin' editor.  Some parts of the movie were really dragged out.
2. Certain scenes were SO over-the-top that they made suspending disbelief difficult.  A fight between Kong and a T-Rex wasn't enough.  No, he had to fight three of them while holding a girl in one hand while they're all falling off of a cliff.  Fun to watch sure, but you were constantly reminded that you were watching a computer-generated, high-budget hollywood production.

Dennis

Postby Dennis » April 5th, 2006, 7:59 pm

Roger Ebert says, "No good movie is too long.  No bad movie is short enough."  I think that applies here - I didn't even think about how long it was until I went outside and noticed it was after midnight.

And of course a movie like this requires suspension of disbelief.  What, you can accept that an undiscovered tribe lives on a mysterious island with oversize bugs and dinosaurs, and sacrifices humans to a giant ape, but you can't accept that the ape fights dinosaurs as he's falling off a cliff??

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 5th, 2006, 9:47 pm

[QUOTE=Dennis]

What, you can accept that an undiscovered tribe lives on a mysterious island with oversize bugs and dinosaurs, and sacrifices humans to a giant ape, but you can't accept that the ape fights dinosaurs as he's falling off a cliff??

[/QUOTE]

Yes, yes, yes, yes, no.

Funkmaster V

Postby Funkmaster V » April 5th, 2006, 11:08 pm

Overall, I thought the movie was a dud, but the scene where King Kong beats up 3 T-Rexes was mind-blowingly good. I think I liked it so much because I use DK in Smash Brothers and it felt like I was winning the fight. I loved when he made sure he broke the last T-Rex's jaw by playfully opening it and closing it.

Did anyone else think Kong looked like Clint Eastwood in the face?

VIN

Dennis

Postby Dennis » April 6th, 2006, 9:58 am

That playing with the jaw bit was taken directly from the 1930s version. It's amazing how similar they are, actually.

Return to “Review Feedback”