DREAMCAST JACKPOT!!!!!!!!!!!...........sort of...

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » August 6th, 2008, 6:31 pm

So just yesterday I responded to an ad in Craiglist for a used Dreamcast with 3 controllers "a few games", because mine was starting to have problems reading even the best disks.  The ad was asking for 50 bucks, so I figured I would talk him down to 25 or 30.  When I got there, a guy in his mid 30's let me in and led me to a cardboard box on a chair in the middle of the room.  "There it is, and there's the games." he said.  I looked inside and saw the console, three controllers (white,blue, and black), and the power and AV cables.  What I didn't expect to see what a black CD binder (looked to hold 50 or so when filled normally), and one of those little plastic spindles that a 50 or 100 pack of blank CDR's comes on, completely filled to the top with CD's.  Upon closer inspection, I saw that the top CD on the spindle had "Soul Caliber" written on it in black permanent marker.  "There's alot of games there.  I was kind of a Dreamcast geek." he said.  "There's some imports in there, I've got some emulators, and some disks with a bunch of MAME ROMSs.  Tons of stuff."  Anyways, I haven't gone through it all yet, but there is alot of stuff here.  My only hang up is that I have never owned a copy of a game in my life.  I don't have an issue with it, especially considering that the system is not current.  But I still, for some reason, have to fight an overwhelming desire to own only the original copy of a game, as if I am missing out on something.  I can't explan it, but it's there.  Is this feeling going to subside with time, or am I still going to be looking for an original copy of Rayman 2 even though the copy is right here in front of me?

Anyways, it's a cool find, nonetheless.  Made my day. 

NixonTech2071

Postby NixonTech2071 » August 6th, 2008, 6:47 pm

I kind of had the same deal with a sega saturn!

andrew

Postby andrew » August 6th, 2008, 8:02 pm

[QUOTE=Paul Campbell]  I can't explain it, but it's there.  Is this feeling going to subside with time, or am I still going to be looking for an original copy of Rayman 2 even though the copy is right here in front of me?

[/QUOTE]

I used to burn copies of everything movies music, games but now I no longer feel like doing this. Oh sure I download some music here and there but only keep albums that I intend to buy. You may have a copy of the game, but that feeling of owning the real thing is much more satisfying. Guilt free gaming is ultimately the way to go. Nowi f the game was $50 - $100 your attitude may change the the game has a low price tag.

My Boi

Postby My Boi » August 6th, 2008, 8:11 pm

Paul, can you give a list of the sega dreamcast games, import games, emulator software, etc, that are from the black CD binder that you found?

Paul, to tell the difference between pirated CD-R copies of sega dreamcast games to official GD-Rom games, click here.

Also Paul, what sega dreamcast games that you got from the black cd binder were either original GD-Rom games or CD-R burnt copy games.

Comments?

andrew

Postby andrew » August 6th, 2008, 9:15 pm

[QUOTE=My Boi]
Paul, to tell the difference between pirated CD-R copies of sega dreamcast games to official GD-Rom games, click here.

Comments?
[/QUOTE]

Considering that technology is proprietary, It won't be very hard to find a pirated disc. If the disc does not have the logo and has black marker on the top of the disc, its safe to say its pirated. He's not talking about bootleggers, just good old North American cheapskates copying games for personal use.

Luke

Postby Luke » August 7th, 2008, 1:12 am

You can run MAME on the Dreamcast?

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » August 7th, 2008, 4:35 am

Due to the size differences between the two mediums often times videos and or music were cut from the pirated versions.  Given the price of DC games these days, seems hard to warrant owning pirated versions.

That guy was hardly a DC geek if he pirated everything.

My Boi

Postby My Boi » August 7th, 2008, 11:40 am

Here is a great reason why sega dreamcast CD-R burnt games are inferior to official GD-Rom games, click here.

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » August 7th, 2008, 12:56 pm

Oh and I forgot to mention that they burn out the Dreamcast's laser faster.

QF

Postby QF » August 7th, 2008, 3:17 pm

Thats a great find. I'm jealous.

Return to “Classic Gaming”