The Critic's new 360 reviews

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
voorhiessa

Postby voorhiessa » April 12th, 2006, 1:47 pm

for me, it's the SNES.  Go ahead...take your shots!!!

But I agree, the 360 had a slow start (with the exception of COD2, which is amazing), but it's really beginning to shine, particularly if your into online gaming...which is the mastermind's (Gates') grand scheme.

Johnson73

Postby Johnson73 » April 12th, 2006, 5:55 pm

SNES is my favorite, too.  I don't think that any other system has both the overall quality and diversity of its game library (Genesis probably has just as good of a library, but I think too many of its good games are arcade and sports titles) and excellent hardware (for its time peroid, at least) that the SNES has.

Bluemonkey makes a good point.  When I bought my Dreamcast, I already had better versions of the two Sonic Adventures, Skies of Arcadia, and Crazy Taxi on my Gamecube, and I like those games better than most of my other Dreamcast games.

Funkmaster V

Postby Funkmaster V » April 12th, 2006, 10:30 pm

I think the Dreamcast is a good system but a little overated too. Plus, mine sounds like it has asthma

VIN

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » April 12th, 2006, 11:04 pm

[QUOTE=Johnson73]

SNES is my favorite, too.  I don't think that any other system has both the overall quality and diversity of its game library (Genesis probably has just as good of a library, but I think too many of its good games are arcade and sports titles) and excellent hardware (for its time peroid, at least) that the SNES has.

Bluemonkey makes a good point.  When I bought my Dreamcast, I already had better versions of the two Sonic Adventures, Skies of Arcadia, and Crazy Taxi on my Gamecube, and I like those games better than most of my other Dreamcast games.

[/QUOTE]
Actually when I generally see reviews of later versons of the original Crazy Taxi and Sonic Adventure on other systems they're generally scored very low.  The general complaint seems to be that they were not at all improved over the Dreamcast versions which were out two years earlier, and thus deserve more respect than direct ports onto newer hardware which should have done better.

Conn

Postby Conn » April 13th, 2006, 12:33 am

Skies of Arcadia Legends added new quests and stopped the slowdown in the game, so I'm going to have to say SoAL is better than SoA.

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » April 13th, 2006, 4:41 am

The only port worse than the Dreamcast version was the PS2 copy of Crazy Taxi.  As a DC diehard back in the day it pains me to say that all the others offer improved graphics and most have extra modes.

Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » April 13th, 2006, 7:03 am

And Sonic Adventure has a mission mode and unlockable Game Gear games, while SA2 has a huge multiplayer mode and a more involving Chao Garden with GBA support.

Doesn't really make them worth buying if you have the originals, though.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » April 13th, 2006, 9:18 am

Gamespot:
Sonic Adventure DC: 9.2
Sonic Adventure GC: 5.7

IGN:
Sonic Adventure DC: 8.6
Sonic Adventure GC: 5.0

IGN's press average:
Sonic Adventure DC: 9.2
Sonic Adventure GC: 6.6

Gamespot:
Crazy Taxi DC: 8.7
Crazy Taxi PS2: 7.8
Crazy Taxi GC: 4.9

IGN:
Crazy Taxi DC: 9.6
Crazy Taxi PS2: 7.1
Crazy Taxi GC: 6.9

IGN press average:
Crazy Taxi DC: 9.1
Crazy Taxi PS2: 8.0
Crazy Taxi GC: 7.6

Obviously someone doesn't think that any extras make up for the fact that these games really aren't that "improved".

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » April 13th, 2006, 2:48 pm

It's just because the games are older and they have already played them that is all.  Sonic Adventure DC was released what 3 years after the DC version?  It's still a better game just no longer cut it in their opinion.

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » April 13th, 2006, 9:20 pm

[QUOTE=bluemonkey]

It's just because the games are older and they have already played them that is all.  Sonic Adventure DC was released what 3 years after the DC version?  It's still a better game just no longer cut it in their opinion.

[/QUOTE]

I actually hate it when magazines and sites bash an older game ported to a newer system.  Yea its the usually the same game with spiffy graphics and a few extra bells n' whistles (if you're lucky), but if its a fun game it shouldn't matter.  Crazy Taxi was fantastic on the DC and I couldn't find any faults with the GC version other than it "didn't bring anything new to the table".  When these games are ported they are usually meant to target the audience that didn't originally get to play them.  Since the Dreamcast wasn't exactly the best selling system, several people missed out on some of the great titles found on the system.  For an early GC game you could do alot worse than a perfectly ported version of that game.  I have wasted so many hours of my life on Crazy Taxi that its not even funny!

Return to “Modern Gaming”