Playstation 2, Xbox, GameCube reviews

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 14th, 2006, 6:39 pm

So what do you think?

Johnson73

Postby Johnson73 » April 14th, 2006, 7:32 pm

Good reviews, but I think you should switch the durability ratings for the Gamecube and Xbox.  I've never personally heard of someone's Gamecube not working, but both I and one of my friends have Xboxes that read discs about 50% of the time.  The problem is that we both have the cruddy "Thompson" DVD drive, which almost always wears out over time.  I would also give the Gamecube's controller at least a "B," but that's my personal preference.  Great reviews overall!

Johnson73

Postby Johnson73 » April 14th, 2006, 7:41 pm

There is one small error in your Gamecube review:  Component cables were made for North America, but they had to be ordered from Nintendo's website, and they were often on backorder.  It was much easier to import them, but importing wasn't absolutely necessary.

sega saturn x

Postby sega saturn x » April 15th, 2006, 12:24 am

I really fail to see how the cube and x box controller are anything a like.  They feel and play very differently.  Yes they do have the analog sticks and d pad in the same play but the sticks and pads are worlds apart in feel.  Everything else is fine though, though I would have given the cube controller a B or even an A, best controller for platformers ever.

Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » April 15th, 2006, 7:42 am

"While the Xbox never caught up to the Playstation juggernaut, it did manage to position itself into a solid second place, making Microsoft a legimate player in the video game market."

Not true at all. The Xbox and GC sold pretty much exactly the same.

Boston

Postby Boston » April 15th, 2006, 8:45 am

I really like the reviews but I can't understand how the Gamecube got a collectability of A-????? Unless you love Nintendo and Capcom titles you would be hard pressed to find anything else (especially in the last year or so) worth playing. Also, how did the X-Box get a B+???? Especially with excellent first and third party support. I guess just a minor gripe. Good reviews and very informative!

Boston

Dead on about the Gamecube controller....total junk.

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » April 15th, 2006, 9:54 am

I think the XBox one which is the only one I have read in depth is off in some areas.

The graphics on the XBox are GREATLY superior to the PS2.  This was the part of the review where I really got uncomfortable.  Titles like Halo, JSRF, Doom 3, Half Life 2 to name but a couple completely blow the PS2 titles out the water.  Seriously there's a huge graphics difference.  All my friends own PS2s and XBoxs and this is just factual.

There are a very large number of big name PC ports for the XBox.  If you talked to the PC gaming crowd they would say the XBox has the most big name titles out of the bunch.

Doom 3 was not one of the first third party exclusives at all.  Doom 3 is what only a year a half old?  Third party exclusives have been appearing on the XBox since Day One.  As an early adopter I should know.

It also does have a very wide variety of exclusive titles , maybe not as many as PS2 but certainly more than the GC so I don't think it's that fair to label this as a bad point.

The button layout is more similar to the PS2 than the Gamecube.

I also have to agree GCs are definitely more durable than XBoxs.  I have never had a problem but one of my friend's had to get a new machine because his drive became useless.  None of our GCs have ever had any trouble.  Of course we do lug our XBoxs round for System Link all the time so that might be why.

Probably worth mentioning the XBox is the only machine to allow you to get together and have huge lans.  16 players on 4 XBoxes is a lot of fun and will ensure that in a decade or so when the Live services go down for the initial XBox it will still be possible to play the non splitscreen multiplayer games.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 15th, 2006, 11:02 am

I've done some research in the durability issue, and so I will stand by those grades. 

As for the component cable, I checked Nintendo's web site, and it was NOT available on there (for North American customers anyway).

Don't see how the Xbox and GameCube controllers are similar?  Two thumbsticks and a direction pad in the same place, two wide-range triggers on back.  Four main buttons on the right side.  Enough said.

I rated GameCube higher in terms of collectibility, because of its number of exclusive, high-quality titles, like Wind Waker for example.  Most of the Xbox games you can also get on the PS2.  Plus those small GameCube disks are cooler to collect.

As for the GameCube being in third place, that's been the case in all the statistics I've seen (and I read a lot of game mags).  However, the Xbox and GameCube are very close (compared to the PS2), so I will probably modify the reviews to bear this out.

I will try to mention something about the Xbox LAN support.

Thanks for the feedback so far,
Dave

Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » April 15th, 2006, 11:34 am

"As for the GameCube being in third place, that's been the case in all the statistics I've seen (and I read a lot of game mags). However, the Xbox and GameCube are very close (compared to the PS2), so I will probably modify the reviews to bear this out."

Were those US only or worldwide sales? The Xbox didn't sell much at all in Japan, and that is a fairly huge market.

Really, the worldwide market share is somewhat like this:
PS2: 53%
Xbox: 24%
GC: 23%
I'd hardly call that a "solid second place"

playgeneration

Postby playgeneration » April 15th, 2006, 12:10 pm

I would definitly say gamecube finished in 3rd, while a similar number of consoles were sold as xbox, you can be sure that a whole lot more xbox games have been sold, and thats what most important.

Return to “Review Feedback”