4/17/2006: NES: Section Z, Spiderman Return of the Sinister Six, Zanac

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 17th, 2006, 5:18 pm

Tell us what you think of this new set of reviews.

Tremo01

Postby Tremo01 » April 17th, 2006, 7:20 pm

Wow and I wanted to know what you thought of Zanac.

I'm definetly going to pick it up!

chrisbid1

Postby chrisbid1 » April 17th, 2006, 8:49 pm

i think spiderman was in a low point in the late 80's, this was when comic book characters still had their cheesy image from all of the bad cartoons of the 70's and early 80's. you shouldnt have been shocked at how bad spiderman was, just look at NES xmen

Damon Plus

Postby Damon Plus » April 18th, 2006, 8:11 am

Well, Spiderman Sinister Six is from 1992-93

Zenzerotron

Postby Zenzerotron » April 18th, 2006, 3:27 pm

I really don't *get* Zanac. I've tried and tried to get into it, but it seems like just another painfully boring&generic NES vertical shooter. I know I must be wrong, because this game is revered everywhere I look.

Just in general, every vertical shooter I own for NES is  totally boring and seems to go on forever(no ending).........Alpha Mission, Twin Cobra, Xevious,  Tiger-Heli,  etc.

I don't see how Zanac differs from these snooze-fests.

The only vertical NES shooter in my collection that I actually like is Sky Shark.

Somebody give Zen a clue.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 18th, 2006, 6:40 pm

[QUOTE=Zenzerotron]I really don't *get* Zanac. I've tried and tried to get into it, but it seems like just another painfully boring&generic NES vertical shooter. I know I must be wrong, because this game is revered everywhere I look.

Just in general, every vertical shooter I own for NES is  totally boring and seems to go on forever(no ending).........Alpha Mission, Twin Cobra, Xevious,  Tiger-Heli,  etc.

I don't see how Zanac differs from these snooze-fests.

The only vertical NES shooter in my collection that I actually like is Sky Shark.

Somebody give Zen a clue.
[/QUOTE]

Here's a clue.  Instead of worrying about some lame ending, try playing this game for score.  It's very challenging.

Endings in games are overrated.  Shooters are meant to be played for score.

mappy mouse pd

Postby mappy mouse pd » April 18th, 2006, 8:12 pm

Zanac is indeed an amazing shooter.  I don't know what to say to anyone who doesn't "get" it; I was hooked from the second level.  I do have two complaints that weren't brough up in the review.  First of all, the weapons are pretty unbalanced.  Anyone who has played the game to death will tell you number 7 is the only way to go.  If you fully charge it, you're pretty much unstoppable.  Second, the game is far too generous with bonus ships.  If you use weapon 7, you'll rack up more than enough before reaching the difficult levels. 

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » April 19th, 2006, 9:12 am

Way to go on that ZANAC review, VGC! This is my second favorite shooter of all time (after RAIDEN 2)!

Zen: To your question I can only say DAH-DAH-DAH-DAH-DAH- DUMMMMMMMM-DAHHHHHHHH!

To me, 75% of the appeal of a shooter is in the MUSIC/SOUND! Think about it: Centipedes THUMPTHUMPTHUMP, Asteroids JAWS-like beat, The jumpin' tracks of THUNDERFORCE 3 and of course, the super cool music of RAIDEN 2! Graphics are important too, but secondary. Unlike other game genres, having "endings" or hidden stuff is rather unimportant (although there are the hidden blue aliens in ZANAC)...to me, playing a shooter is like watching a pulse-pounding music video! Just sit back, let your brain melt and GO! Now That I think of it, this is one reason I never got into FPS's like DOOM. Slow, stealthy, strategic, *YAWN*... not that they are BAD games, just not "shooters" to me!

Ruudos1

Postby Ruudos1 » April 19th, 2006, 4:33 pm

Section Z doesn't deserve a F-grade at all!

1. I'm pretty bad at shooters, one of the few shooters I've beaten is Section Z. It can't be too difficult then.

2. It doesn't seem you really have spend much time on this game since you write the following: "Your ship can absorb several hits, but remarkably, your health doesn't appear to be displayed anywhere on the screen!" What do you think "E= 20/20" is supposed to mean?

3. The later levels are harder than the first ones.

Jake

Postby Jake » July 23rd, 2006, 2:22 am

Hmmm, Section Z

I didn't really like. Fun for a few minutes then it kinda confused me. An F might be harsh. I dunno.

Return to “Review Feedback”