4/20/2006: Genesis: Olympic Winter Games Lillehammer 94, Vapor Trail, Whip Rush

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 20th, 2006, 5:34 pm

Here's your opportunity to sound off.

Doom5

Postby Doom5 » April 20th, 2006, 5:43 pm

Hmm, you sure said a lot of positive things about Vapor Trail to give it a C+. Did the score issue bother you that much?

When I play shooters I could care less about the score, but that's just me.

Zenzerotron

Postby Zenzerotron » April 20th, 2006, 7:38 pm

When it comes to Whip Rush, you are far too kind with the D+ grade.

Most of the power-ups are completely useless and non-sensical, you didn't stress this enough.

In several of the boss encounters, if you don't have one particular power-up, you are totally screwed. Not only that, but if you die, you can't get the needed power-up, and you might as well reset the whole game and start over.

And you are right to say this game has a completely generic look.

A generic shooter with an extremely poor power-up system is "D" material at best.

I own many many hortizontal shooters, and this has to be my least favorite, along with Arrow Flash.

I really hope that you review Biohazard Battle and Lightning Force one day. When you play Genesis shooters like that, you realize Whip Rush has no business to exist.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 20th, 2006, 8:55 pm

[QUOTE=Zenzerotron]

I really hope that you review Biohazard Battle and Lightning Force one day.
[/QUOTE]

Have you ever thought to check my GENESIS REVIEW SECTION by any chance?  HELLO MCFLY!

John Rowland

Postby John Rowland » April 20th, 2006, 10:26 pm

As I recall, the former grade for Vapor Trail was an "A-".  I think the "C+" grade is much more appropriate.  It's not a bad game at all, but it just never really grabbed me like the true top-tier Genesis shooters (Thunder Force III, MUSHA, Truxton).

Still, I was sort of surprised to see your grade change so dramatically.  Did you not notice that you can't see your score when you die the first time around?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 20th, 2006, 11:29 pm

[QUOTE=John Rowland]

Still, I was sort of surprised to see your grade change so dramatically.  Did you not notice that you can't see your score when you die the first time around?

[/QUOTE]

I usually don't change my grades radically, but it was appropriate in this case.  The original review was written several years ago, but I'm assuming I simply didn't notice the scoring issue back then.

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » April 21st, 2006, 6:14 am

I agree with you on the scoring thing (although I don't own Vapor trail, I have other games that "blink" out when they end!)

One reason I like TETRIS DS so much is it saves the top three high scores in each game. Lots of other DS games do, too.

We have some different views on shooters though. I kinda liked
WHIP RUSH..surely it is not a "top" game, but it is C material. And I REALLY liked ARROWFLASH, with the opening Anime and cool "jupiter" level. And YES, Zen, I own BIOHAZZARD battle too, and while that insectoid game is the best of these, I'd still give Arrowflash a B-. Especially taking AGE in account (Whip Rush and Arowflash were two of the earliest Genny shooters, along with InsectorX... Bio-Battle came out around a year before the Genny faded away!)

Boston

Postby Boston » April 21st, 2006, 6:49 am

Do you think it is worth mentioning that you had previously reviewed the games? I am not sure how you go from an A- to a C+?

Boston

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 21st, 2006, 2:54 pm

[QUOTE=Boston]

Do you think it is worth mentioning that you had previously reviewed the games? I am not sure how you go from an A- to a C+?

Boston

[/QUOTE]

No, and I sure as heck don't have the time to be explaining stuff like that.  The old grades should be forgotten because my newer reviews are much better.

Zenzerotron

Postby Zenzerotron » April 22nd, 2006, 2:15 am

Hey so I was wrong...........you did review Biohazard Battle and Lighting Force.......and you gave them both high marks, much higher then Whip Rush.....do you know what this means Dave?? This means that even when I'm wrong........I'm still right!!!!!!!

Return to “Review Feedback”