NES V SNES 'In the end, there can be only one...."

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
steer

Postby steer » November 30th, 2008, 11:54 pm

OK, so back to the wall, whihc do you choose. Of course, I expect this to be overwhelmingly SNES, but I choose NES for these reasons :

Here are my opinions XD:

1.NES has Super Mario Brothers 1 2 and 3, SNES has Mario World and Yoshi in World II (Mario compilation does not count, for the purpose of this argument - we want origional titles here, not rereleases!) Both Mario World's are great, but 3 beats World I it hands down, better items, better, shorter level design, more satisfying difficulty level, and as an added bonus no Yoshi! Now throw the oddball, underrated maveric Mario 2 into that, and the revolutionary, (though I find clunky today, sorry, SMB1 and I believe you have more than accounted for Yoshi -despite its great graphical look.

2. NES has Zelda I and Zelda II, I would take either of them over Zelda III. And Zelda II I think cancels out some of the advantage the SNES has in the RPG department.....Zelda II at any rate is the most difficult Zelda and has (arguably) the best enemies. Zelda I is classic, classic classic, perfect length game - I think Zelda III is TOO LONG!

3. NES has far and away the advantage in arcade style games - help me out Alien Blue! But between even just Punchout!, Ballon Fight and Ice Hockey, we can see what NES gaming is all about. SNES Punchout for example, though 'bigger' with 'better' graphics and more moves, feels like less of a 'champion'...(Can the upcoming Wii version live up to the legend?????)

4. SNES has DKC style games, and these are very very overrated, and the poster child of dull 2-d platforming. Though popular, I think they basicly suck. And they have a lot of company on the SNES.....

5. Granted SNES has, on paper a huge advantage in the RPG department. I feel like a lot of these games are not that much fun to play today, but Chrono Trigger alone can carry this genre to the SNES!

6. Fighting games have to go to the SNES as well, but oh well......I dont like fighting games, so there!

7. SNES has Star Fox, with an assit from Super FX - so that is like a banned substance, not passing the piss test there - SNES! Lol, teasing, that is a greta game, with no direct comparison on the NES. I guess even with 2-d shooters SNES may have the advantage there.....

Anyway I will take the classic platforming, Zelda and arcade games to carry the ticket to the NES, Final Electoral Count is 333 to 122 NES!

What say you, caller?

ajsmart1

Postby ajsmart1 » December 1st, 2008, 5:05 pm

I submit the following mathematical proof:
(Alienblue, look away)

JasonhasRSI1

Postby JasonhasRSI1 » December 1st, 2008, 5:47 pm

Genesis.

AlienBlue's Red brother

Postby AlienBlue's Red brother » December 1st, 2008, 8:13 pm

[QUOTE=ajsmart]I submit the following mathematical proof:
(Alienblue, look away)

[/QUOTE]

My brother is going to kill you for that! UP AND AWAY BROTHER!!! DESTROY THE BLASPHEMER!!!

Logan Ruckman

Postby Logan Ruckman » December 1st, 2008, 11:14 pm

SNES!

Megavolt

Postby Megavolt » December 2nd, 2008, 12:38 am

For me, it's pretty simple.  Both consoles have well-rounded libraries (by that I mean that they cover a variety of genres fairly well and that there are plenty of likeable B-range titles to go with the A-range greats) but I tend to prefer the SNES's best titles to the NES's best titles.  I also believe the SNES to be the greatest console ever for RPGs (my favorite genre).  I could start listing a bunch of notable SNES games, but it's probably not necessary.

"feels like less of a 'champion'..."

I'm not sure what that means.  Super Punch Out never attained the popularity and subsequent classic status of Punch Out, but I don't think it's because it wasn't an excellent game.  I personally like it more than Punch Out.

4. SNES has DKC style games, and these are very very overrated, and the poster child of dull 2-d platforming. Though popular, I think they basicly suck. And they have a lot of company on the SNES.....

It looks like you're just generalizing the heavy representation of the platformers in the 16-bit era, and I'll agree that there were a lot of ho-hum efforts to go with the good ones (though I don't see how the 8-bit era is an exception to this), but I've been wanting to address the "DKC is overrated" meme for some time, so bear with me here:

DKC is indeed a bit too straightforward with its design at times.  Not that being simple should be considered a flaw, but DKC seems a bit too simple at times for all its borrowing from SMB.  DKC2, however, is a considerable improvement in that area.  And it even improves upon the things that most would agree DKC did well, like music and aesthetics.  I'd say DKC2 is so well-designed that it often makes DKC seem rudimentary by comparison.  DKC3 lacked style and the general framework of the games was getting a bit old by then, but it was still a good game. Now, if the Genesis Sonic games can be seen as altogether excellent even though I feel that Sonic 3 and Knuckles are inferior to Sonic 2, then I don't see why people have to be so harsh on DKC.  Same goes for the Megaman and Castlevania games on NES.  Not every Megaman game was great and yet people look back on the series with fondness.   And Castlevania II is regarded by some people as a failed experiment.

So maybe the first DKC is overrated.  I still think it's fun, but having played it back to back with the superior second game makes it obvious that it's not one of the absolute best platformers of the era despite being one of the best-selling ones.  Mind you, it was a wonderful experience back then, and I believe that it's still a good game, but it's no masterpiece...

...and neither some of the entries in other series which manage to avoid a negative labeling.  Look at Streets of Rage.  It's almost identical to the DKC series in terms of its progression.  The first game was good if a bit rough around the edges (and let's remember that the arcade version of Final Fight predates SoR by a few years), the second game refined the formula to perfection, and the third game is a sidestep which is hit or miss with the fans.

BanjoPickles1

Postby BanjoPickles1 » December 2nd, 2008, 1:42 am

I prefer both equally. They both provided me with hundreds upon hundreds of hours of exactly what I wanted: timeless gaming experiences. While I loved, and played the crap out of, the genesis it just couldn't compare with me. The snes was eloquent instead of "cool(I never played games to be "cool" in the first place)."

Steer, here are a few things that one had that the other didn't:

1). Mega Man. The nes, to me, had the absolute BEST Mega Man games!

2). Fighting games. Granted, they weren't your forte, but for me and millions of others....nothing compared to a near-arcade perfect match of Street Fighter 2 Turbo in your LIVING ROOM!:-):-)

3). That glued-to-the-tv feeling that Final Fantasy III(VI) gave me! It's still in my top five favorite games today and that was born with the snes! The nes had the original Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior...but the snes had Chrono Trigger, Mario RPG, Final Fantasy III!

4). Beat em ups. The nes had Double Dragon, Battletoads, River City FRIGGIN' Ransom(another one in my top ten), tmnt 2 and 3, etc. Granted, snes had a poor Double Dragon, a good reimagining of Battletoads, and a stellar TMNT but they lacked something(on these shores, at least)....Kunio(River City Ransom)!!!

5). While nes had the better mario titles, I have to disagree with you on Zelda. Zelda 3 was flat-out EPIC!! That game was the SOLE reason I detassled in the summer of '94, just so I could buy the Zelda bundle. That was the only Zelda, to me, that got everything right.

6). Metroid. Super Metroid, to me, immediately dated the original....actually rendering it almost unplayable in the process. Hmmm, you could either get lost in identical-looking rooms or not waste any time(not to mention frustration) by following a map.

7). Punch Out. Nes wins, hands down! Super Punch Out, while outstanding, can't compare with the greatness that is the original!

8). Castlevania. The nes had three, all of which are great(in my eyes....I STILL love Simon's Quest!). The snes had a great Castlevania with IV and fumbled big time with Dracula X!

X-pert74

Postby X-pert74 » December 2nd, 2008, 2:48 am

I like both, but there are more SNES games that I absolutely love, so I'll go with that system.

ManKind

Postby ManKind » December 2nd, 2008, 8:29 am

you can'T compare the NES to the SNES because they are too different. The SNES is ultimatly the best between the two

gleebergloben1

Postby gleebergloben1 » December 2nd, 2008, 10:40 am

i've said this before and i'll say it again...i can't understand all the hatin' that's been put on the DKC series. that game blew my mind when it came out, and it still holds up nicely today.

can someone please explain to me why it's so bad? huh? can you? hey, don't walk away from me! i asked you a question! oh, you have to go to the bathroom? never mind, i'll wait.

Return to “Classic Gaming”