Enough with the Updates! (PS3)

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
txsizzler1

Postby txsizzler1 » December 3rd, 2008, 6:06 pm

[QUOTE=riftt]

I am also sick of people making a big deal about updates or having to install ps3 games.  I havent had my ps3 for very long but I don't see what the big deal is.  The critic is so overblown and dramatic about the game installs that its silly.  You only have to do it once!  God forbid he ever downloads a game from the playstation store.  System updates are a good thing - would you rather sony abandon the console?  If they are slow, it's because your connection sucks. 

[/QUOTE]

I believe what the Critic is upset about, is that the installation of the games does not deliver a quicker load time versus the 360, and is in fact more than not slower. The same games that go to the 360 tend to be more refined in that area (minus a select few games). I can see the Critic's point well.

As far as updates go, I believe all updates are important, but as to make all updates required, even for the smallest things that really not necessary, can make updates a headache. I think of Windows updates... alot of recommended ones, but only a few are absolutely required. Then, you can go for the Service Packs, which include all the updates. It would be nice if Sony took this aproach.

Ian

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 3rd, 2008, 8:23 pm

I agree with this thread.  I actually had my PS3 online for a while, but disabled the on-line because whenever I wanted to play a quick game I started getting all the ridiculous prompts for patches and upgrades.

I'd rather play a game with a few glitches that waste my life staring at those update screens.

5ku11cru5h3r

Postby 5ku11cru5h3r » December 3rd, 2008, 8:41 pm

[QUOTE=bluemonkey]Rants where people don't understand things really gets on my nerves. First of all the download speed of the updates is unrelated to the machine's spec.s and is completely dependant on this guy's net connection.  While I haven't experienced the PS3s updates if I see one more time some guy who probably couldn't even ace Gigh School level maths call the guys behind a game like MotorStorm lazy I'm going to lose it.  Do you not understand the vast difficulty and intelligence that goes into these games.  The hoardes of code.  The complexity of what is involved.  Gamers have become so spoilt.  If you cannot understand the massive jump in difficulty between old simple 2D games and what we have now then I don't know how to explain it to you.  But calling these guys lazy is just plain insulting and makes any legitimate point you may have (those download times do sound ridiculous) very hard to take seriously.  These guys are marvels and when you see a game like Motorstorm you can't help but be amazed by them.  I look at it and see all these complex problems they have solved and it makes me feel unintelligent by comparison. [/QUOTE]

Yea, but isn't that one of the main advantages of console gaming over computer gaming? No iffy patches or lapses in compatibility? The fact that consoles are and should be uniform pieces of technology is a hug leg up from computers whose game set requirements needed to play them; to do away with this is to completely undercut a huge benefit for console gamers.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 3rd, 2008, 9:34 pm

Adding insult to the long update times, Sony makes you check off that you've read an Online Legal Agreement before proceeding!!  Now that is an insult!

Viper821

Postby Viper821 » December 4th, 2008, 7:18 am

[quote] While I haven't experienced the PS3s updates if I see one more time some guy who probably couldn't even ace Gigh School level maths call the guys behind a game like MotorStorm lazy I'm going to lose it.  Do you not understand the vast difficulty and intelligence that goes into these games.  The hoardes of code.  The complexity of what is involved.  Gamers have become so spoilt.  If you cannot understand the massive jump in difficulty between old simple 2D games and what we have now then I don't know how to explain it to you.  [/quote]

I assume you mean High School math to which case I can tell you I aced university level math, so I know the complexities involved. I know the vast difficulty involved in modern games as I've gone a small bit of programming and am continually amazed by what developers can put out. What I'm saying is that I never had to update a complex 3D game like GTA: San Andreas for my PS2, nor would I ever need to. However, many PS3 games have game crashing bugs that require a patch just to play the game. I don't expect perfect games, but fix the darn crashes BEFORE retail release. I'm paying for a finished product, not a test copy and some of the bugs I encountered could only be missed by a developer who was either blind or too lazy to fix it before a retail release.  

Again, I'm not 100% against updates, patches, etc just against the constant annoyance of having a prompt nearly everytime I start the machine and no, it's not my internet connection, it's the servers on the other end. Why do I need to do a firmware update nearly every week?

riftt

Postby riftt » December 4th, 2008, 12:59 pm

I play Super Turbo HD Remix online every day and never run into any "patches" to download or frequent updates to install and there is no load time. 

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » December 4th, 2008, 1:19 pm

I don't mind the system updates for the PS3, since they at least improve things.  However, I don't like the software updates.  Plus ever since Sony introduced Trophies several games got patched to support them.  I wouldn't care, but some of the patches are almost 500 MB and I don't feel like waiting 15 minutes to play a game of Super Stardust HD.

So yea the patches suck because the deter you from playing games that need to be updated, but you can always work around them, by not being connect to the PSN. 

In terms of speed of downloading, the 360 does seem to download things faster than the PS3...regardless of connection speed.  It might take the 360 15 minutes to download a 800 MB demo while it takes the PS3 20-25 minutes to download the same sized file.

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » December 4th, 2008, 1:30 pm

Viper so did I, apologies for jumping to conclusions.  I am a developer and this kind of thing winds me up. 

1.  It is impossible to ship a bug free game.  That is a hard fact.  Anyone who says otherwise is talking rubbish.  All software has bugs.  The average bug rate in the industry is around 4-5 bugs per thousand lines of code, dependant of course on environment.  2.5 bugs per thousand lines of code nets you a position in the top quartile of the industry.

2.  You have deadlines.  At some point you have to say enough is enough.  Virtually all software ships with bugs that the developers know about.  But there is a law of diminishing returns.  If you tried to fix every known bug before the software is released then your software would never ship.  Bug fixes will sometimes introduce new bugs, not because it was a bad fix but because different layers of frameworks make different subtle behavioural assumptions and it is impossible across large systems to keep these all in line.  At some point you have to draw a line under the product for stability sake, a last minute fix could wreck the software.

3.  Games use third party software and tools.  The bugs can exist in these, some known and some unknown.

4.  The more money you invest in testing the less you invest in development.  Games have set budgets which they cannot exceed.  Resources have to be balanced accordingly.

Steer when you have worked minimum 13 hour days with no days off except for Christmas day for a whole year, have worked multiple 19 hour days in a row with only 4 hours sleep and had to take pills to stay awake feel free to call me lazy then yeah.

steer

Postby steer » December 4th, 2008, 1:42 pm

Uh read my post again, I was agreeing with you....

That said, I would work you into the ground!

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » December 4th, 2008, 2:34 pm

Steer: " lazy ppl dont make games, they talk about making games, or whatever your proffesion is..."

That was a very unsubtle barb.

Return to “Modern Gaming”