Can anyone defend the 360 anymore?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
wdm0744

Postby wdm0744 » December 16th, 2008, 9:52 am

I had numerous problems with my 360 freezing (although I never got the RRoD).

I went through 4 different consoles, experienced numerous game freezes on many different games and at varying play lengths.  I got a fatal error (4th red light) one time from a mandatory x-box live download.

Needless to say I was not happy, and thought I was cursed.

I posted these problems numerous times, and was told by some people, including the Video Game Critic, I might add, that I must be placing my systems in a place were they could overheat or doing something else wrong (even though I posted that I treated my systems like gold and placed them and the massive power bricks in the open and kept them dust free).

I read on other sites and magazines and found out that I was not alone.

Reading recent posts and seeing that so many people on this site, including the Critic, have now experienced problems makes me feel vindicated.

Please don't get me wrong - I'm not finding joy in your troubles, it's just nice to know that I wasn't imagining or causing the problems I experienced.  Good to know I'm not alone. 

I am truly sorry for the troubles of those 360 owners on this site.

It really is ridiculous.  It really is.  If a more mainstream product, like a toaster or even a dvd player had these kind of issues, there would have been a massive recall.

What I can not understand is, after experiencing all of these issues and seeing that they are so widespread, why so many people can still defend the 360 and bash the PS3? 

Can anyone answer that question?  Please - I really want to know.

I'm not a Sony fanboy - I just like my systems to work.

JasonhasRSI1

Postby JasonhasRSI1 » December 16th, 2008, 11:37 am

What I can not understand is, after experiencing all of these issues and seeing that they are so widespread, why so many people can still defend the 360 and bash the PS3?

Because the games, for the most part, have been frickin' great.

Luke

Postby Luke » December 16th, 2008, 1:42 pm

What I really don't understand is that all these problems were supposed to have been solved with the newer model 360's, yet we keep hearing of RROD's (from them).

Ken1

Postby Ken1 » December 16th, 2008, 9:21 pm

I  can!  I  love  the  360.  I  have  had  no  problems  with  mine  thus  far.

Michael D

Postby Michael D » December 16th, 2008, 11:36 pm

Why do so many people bash the PS3 over the 360?  Well, in actuality, they bash the PS3, 360, and Wii for different reasons.

For Microsoft, it's for making the system not reliable enough, for Sony, it's due to their poor launch/launch period and for Nintendo, it's because of the third party game situation and the lack of hardcore games, and I'd say that each system/company is worth criticizing for those and other legitimate reasons.

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » December 17th, 2008, 3:56 am

I can tell you from experience that this stuff effects purchases.  I was debating whether I should get a 360 or a PS3.  I am not a person that puts a TON of hours into a current gen system, so I only needed it to have a decent amount of quality games, and I think both fit the bill fine, especially with the large number of multi-platformers out there.  After that, the PS3 had Blu-Ray, which was nice, but not a deal breaker for the 360.  Truthfully, the most important factor for me was that pretty much everyone I know that has a 360 has had either a few or a ton of problems with it.  One friend has bought a second system to keep him busy while his other one is in repairs, and they both have been in for repairs at the same time.  I know the PS3 is not perfect, but at least it seems to have a better track record thus far than the 360, so I went for it, and so far I am happy.

Steve1

Postby Steve1 » December 17th, 2008, 10:47 am

I can defend the Xbox 360 for many reasons (and not bash the PS3 in the same posting). My main defense is two-fold:
1) It meets my gaming needs more than the other console.
2) I have not experienced the Red Ring of Death issue. That is not to say I have not had problems. I had a problem reading disks. I took it to Best Buy and had it replaced in 10 minutes - and I got to keep my hard drive. Yep....it's one of the only protection plans I have ever bought. 

I think it was Michael who said it best. There are reasons to criticize all three systems for various reasons. I think the only thing that makes me upset about all the criticism is that people seem to forget the problems that Sony had with the PS2. While perhaps not as widespread as the 360 issue, I know people who went through 4 systems .... and had to PURCHASE them, not get them repaired at no charge due to an extended warranty. While the reliability of the 360 is certainly questionable at best and has cost the company millions (billions??) in lost revenue and repairs, I think people are also forgetting one major thing. Electronic devices are engineered to fail (I expect people to disagree with this comment but those in the industry know it is true). If they were not, there would be no such thing as warranties, let alone extended warranties and service contracts.  How many times have peoples cars failed, how often do products shown on TV not work as expected, etc, etc?

I won't defend the 360 based on the fact that they released the product with this known issue and took too long to fix it/address customer concerns. However, I will defend the 360 in that it has given me the most enjoyment of any console I've ever owned. And I have been gaming since pre-Atari 2600 days - yes, I'm old.

Return to “Modern Gaming”