Colecovision problems

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Adamant1

Colecovision problems

Postby Adamant1 » December 15th, 2008, 11:17 pm

I just picked up a Colecovision system, and I'm having somewhat of a problem with the controllers. One of the controllers have a faulty keypad where none of the buttons pressed will register, but the other problem is more bizarre - the controller plugged into port 1 will not register any presses to the side buttons. It doesn't matter if I switch controllers or not it's not possible to get any side button presses registered for the first player.
Anyone else had this problem? Can it be fixed in any way, and can I get a replcement for the controller with the broken keypad (or fix it in some way?)
Right now, the only game I can play without trouble is single player Mouse Trap.

Alienblue

Colecovision problems

Postby Alienblue » December 18th, 2008, 6:18 pm

Hi-Ho, THE biggest CV fan here.

Go out and buy an ADAM computer.

Seriously I've had problems on some old systems, the pins seem prone to breakage or simply not regestering. One thing I suggest is ... PORT TWO works OK, right? The majority Of CV games will recognize a stick plugged into either port as either controller one or two. So If its a PORT problem, just plug a stick into that port. You can get a Y connector to connect both sticks to the port. If the problem is with the controller, obviously you need to track down another stick. If you are SERIOUS about getting into Cv you should try and get the Cv WICO stick, I swear by it (and it works on vectrex too!).

Hope this helps. BTW, you need LADYBUG if you have a CV. Owning a CV without LADYBUG is like owning A Caddilac that is stuck in first gear only!

GOOD LUCK! Check out COLECONATION.COM !

wur1

Colecovision problems

Postby wur1 » December 18th, 2008, 8:46 pm

You're a CV fan? Does that mean you're hiring in this economy?

If so, I could send you my CV. :-)

(As one of my former professors would say, "Oh ho ho ho! Bad pun, bad pun, I know, I know. Oh ho ho ho!")

Adamant1

Colecovision problems

Postby Adamant1 » December 19th, 2008, 4:11 pm

It wasn't only a port problem, one of the controllers had a completely broken keypad. Didn't know you could use a controller plugged into the second port as the player one controller, though - that would've helped had I not just returned the system for a full refund. I kept the games, though, so I'll be looking for another system.

Don't have Ladybug, I'm afraid - along with the previously mentioned Mouse Trap, I picked up Donkey Kong Junior and Venture, but due to the lack of getting the side buttons to work, I didn't play them much (though I did verify the Critic's claim that the Colecovision controller makes Venture annoyingly hard to play, at least. Should've recalled his words before I bought it instead of looking over his reviews later).

Wallyworld1

Colecovision problems

Postby Wallyworld1 » January 21st, 2009, 12:32 pm

Of all the classic gaming systems CV is the worst when it comes to reliability.  GL on ur quest in finding a working unit.  I would stick with sellers that offer money back guarantee.

colecoboy84

Colecovision problems

Postby colecoboy84 » January 22nd, 2009, 10:58 pm

Wallyworld is right; to put it bluntly, Coleco executives were a bunch of cheap-asses. The CV and accessories were built with off-the-shelf parts, and it is very difficult to find a reliable system in the wild or on eBay. So if you loved the CV back in the day and really want it back in your life, be prepared to spend some $$.

After owning two sub-par systems that causes much frustration over the past two years, I am now the proud owner of a fully refurbished and modded CV. It set me back $139, but me and my 10-year-old son are having a lot of fun with it. You can sometimes find such systems on eBay, or you can send yours to Old School Games in Toronto and they'll refurbish and mod it for you.

Again, it ain't cheap, but if you really want a CV this is the only way to get guaranteed results.   

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Colecovision problems

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 22nd, 2009, 11:37 pm

I second the sentiments of Colecoboy.  I also struggled to find a reliable Colecovision on Ebay, before finally sending one to Old School Gamer, who fixed it and souped it up for S-Video.  It has served me fine ever since.

weblit1

Colecovision problems

Postby weblit1 » January 25th, 2009, 10:22 am

Don't even think about the Adam computer, it's got more bugs than the Colecovision. The Adam Game Console from ecoleco.com is the way to go.

Also, consider emulation as there are some excellent Colecovision emulators out there.

Return to “Classic Gaming”