4/22/2006: Atari 2600: Communist Mutants From Space, Sorcerer, Venture

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 22nd, 2006, 12:41 pm

As usual, we all want to hear your thoughts on these reviews, so don't be shy.

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » April 23rd, 2006, 6:18 am

Okay Critic, I want to know what you were smoking when you reviewed SORCEROR and VENTURE! If anything the review
scores should be switched around!

You gave SORCEROR-acknowledged as nothing but a graphics hack of mythicons own FIREFLY and just so much garbage as ALL THE OTHER MYTHICON games- A C!? This junk is unplayable, as are ALL Mythicon games, and WHY those games originally sold for $9.99, quickly reduced to 2 bucks-hard to move even then! This game has been on every "top 100 worst" of the 2600 I've seen!

THEN you give 2600 Venture...a decent translation considering the hardware-I mean geeze, you get 8 screens and it's still fun, (unlike Coleco's 2600 DK Jr. or several other offerings). I love Venture, but I'll take this over the coin-op anyday! (And the controls on ALL versions of Venture are slow, that is part of the game...the Colecovision version has even WORSE controls!)

Normally, I stay outta this because everyone is entitled to their own veiws but these scores are VERY misleading...I'm not the ONLY one who feels Sorceror is Junk and Venture is Decent, most reviews of these games (on many sites AND old magazines) , point this out! I just can't figure this..usully your scores are pretty close to mine...again if you have some good mary-J, send some via UPS to my-uh-hm...testing lab, yeh! (Just joking, I
don't do drugs...voluntarily! Chemo sucks!)

Conn

Postby Conn » April 23rd, 2006, 2:29 pm

Communist Mutants From Space is the best name [i]ever[/i]

Zenzerotron

Postby Zenzerotron » April 24th, 2006, 1:08 am

What I'm really curious about is the fact that Dave has re-reviewed Venture more times then any other game in the past year or so.

I'm sorry Alienblue, but in this re-review, Dave finally got it right. Venture is borderline crap. The rooms are too cramped and too simplistic, and I really hate the screen where you're a tiny dot and must dodge the baddies while trying to enter a room. Berserk pee's all over this game.

But Alienblue, there's an Atariage homebrew sequal, which I also own, that's somewhat improved over the orginal Venture. If you're in the market for 2600 homebrews, it would be up your alley.

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » April 24th, 2006, 1:54 pm

Zen...I forgot if you grew up during "the golden era" of Atari 2600 or not... if not... you had to be there. Looking at something like 2600 Venture TODAY, then yes, it looks like a sparse O2 game at first. But any 2600 game having so many screens back then (I believe the "coin-op" BERZERK had random mazes whilest the 2600 had a mere 5!) was considered a triumph.

So remember I'm looking at these through rose-tinted glasses. For a 2600 game in 1982, a game with 8 rooms, decent graphics and a cool adventure theme was worth the money! (although I love BERZERK too, and the sequal FRENZY).

I'm not saying the 2600 version (and BTW I know about the "treasure chest" Venture 2 sequal) is GREAT, but it is still "C+" material-SORECEROR is pure garbage!

Michael Danehy

Postby Michael Danehy » April 24th, 2006, 2:27 pm

[QUOTE=Alienblue]Zen...I forgot if you grew up during "the golden era" of Atari 2600 or not... if not... you had to be there. Looking at something like 2600 Venture TODAY, then yes, it looks like a sparse O2 game at first. But any 2600 game having so many screens back then (I believe the "coin-op" BERZERK had random mazes whilest the 2600 had a mere 5!) was considered a triumph.

So remember I'm looking at these through rose-tinted glasses. For a 2600 game in 1982, a game with 8 rooms, decent graphics and a cool adventure theme was worth the money! (although I love BERZERK too, and the sequal FRENZY).

I'm not saying the 2600 version (and BTW I know about the "treasure chest" Venture 2 sequal) is GREAT, but it is still "C+" material-SORECEROR is pure garbage![/QUOTE]

What's supposed to be terrible about Sorceror? The Critic's review doesn't make it seem that bad. Granted it's the first good thing I've read about a Mythicon game.

Zenzerotron

Postby Zenzerotron » April 24th, 2006, 3:49 pm

Well Blue, to refresh your memory.....

My parents bought me an Atari2600 for xmas when it got super-cheap due to the big videogame crash, around 1983 or 1984.

I had about the same 40 games for many years, untill I finally got an NES for xmas in 1989 or 1990.

I own almost 200 Atari2600 games now. I DIDN'T own Venture as a kid. This doesn't mean I'm baised, I've discovered all sorts of great games in the past few years. It's not a matter of me thinking all 2600 games have aged badly and aren't fun. I honestly don't know what I'd think of Venture if I was a small child whom owned in the mid 80's, but I can say in the here-and-now, it's subpar.

russ

Postby russ » April 24th, 2006, 9:44 pm

So Critic,

What does motivate you to re-review?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 24th, 2006, 10:25 pm

My older reviews (circa 1999) tend to be brief and less comprehensive than I would like.  So those games are usually the first to be re-reviewed. 

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » April 25th, 2006, 4:50 am

Mike D.: "what IS so bad about Sorceroror?"

First of all, this is the EXACT SAME GAME (with different graphics and sound) as the abysmyll FIREFLY, which the Critic DID correctly give a poor grade to. I don't get why the slightly better graphics (as in, done by a first grader, not a pre-scooler!) and less irratating sound elevates this to AVERAGE! You are STILL just jumping on that "line" (magic carpet) over n' over and fighting the same trios of monsters over n' over. In a word, Mike: REEEEEPETITVE!

Zen: You are right again, ol' bean, 2600 games in general have not aged well. You really DID have to be there. I play Venture and am taken back to childhood days; same way as others are playing SMB or SONIC!

Return to “Review Feedback”