360 is becoming a Wii wanna-be...

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
feilong801

Postby feilong801 » January 3rd, 2009, 8:19 pm

I could care less how much shovelware you found Actraiser. Because that does nothing to devalue the many games worth playing. I wasn't arguing about percentage of shovelware. The goal posts were set by Fragnox, and he set them wide: in this debate, the Wii is either "crap" or "worthwhile," and it is extremely easy to prove the latter.

Shovelware is merely a function of a system's popularity. If you don't want to play Ninjabread Man, then you are free to not play it.

-Rob

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » January 3rd, 2009, 8:26 pm

What a surprise steer replies without fully reading what someone wrote.  Shocker.  I'm replying to Rob's statement to look at games with 70-100 ratings. 

Personally, I've found that most things less than 85 aren't that great.  The exception comes in when the game has a great story or some unique premise to it.  Not that I expect you to understand the concept of a 'story' in a game. 

My point was trying to explain the perception of why a lot of people, myself included, thinks the Wii has so much shovelware on it.  Of course, you obviously don't get it, which is cool.  Your Wii obviously needs some loving, so feel free to go back and play with it.

Cheers

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » January 3rd, 2009, 8:43 pm

[QUOTE=feilong80]I could care less how much shovelware you found Actraiser. Because that does nothing to devalue the many games worth playing. I wasn't arguing about percentage of shovelware. The goal posts were set by Fragnox, and he set them wide: in this debate, the Wii is either "crap" or "worthwhile," and it is extremely easy to prove the latter.

Shovelware is merely a function of a system's popularity. If you don't want to play Ninjabread Man, then you are free to not play it.

-Rob[/QUOTE]

Ahh, but you missed how much crap is on the PS2 compared to the Wii.  10% versus 20% of crap on the Wii.  That's a huge difference.  Again, I'm only trying to explain the perception problem. 

A friend of mine got a Wii for Christmas.  Short of Mario Galaxy I couldn't recommend another A+ game that's a must buy.  The ones that I got that I like I'll just loan him, such as, Galaxies and Zach and Wiki; however, not everyone likes them for whatever reason.  So...point was, there's a crapload of stuff on the Wii and it has nothing to do with it's popularity.  The PS2 has way more consoles available and has half the crap. 

As for choosing which games to avoid, how?  1 out of 5 games is complete crap.  What's left isn't much better percentage wise.  If you go to Best Buy and randomly pull a game, you've got a 35% chance of getting a decent game (70-100 pts).  Compare that to the PS2 at 49%, 360 at 51%, PS3 at 60%.  As a result, there's no way in hell I'm going to look at a Wii game and think, what the hell, this might be good.  Hence, the perception problem. 

Sure, if it's published by Nintendo odds are it will be decent (minus Wii Fit).

steer

Postby steer » January 3rd, 2009, 9:38 pm

Bottom line, Actraiser -  your 'game quality index' is ridiculous - you are judguing consoles now on who has the least amount of 'bad' games.

Honestly, is this any way to start a new year?

Great, you only think the wii has one A+ title. What is the point of all this, I ask you????

Fragnox

Postby Fragnox » January 3rd, 2009, 9:40 pm

[QUOTE=steer]So who cares, average scores for consoles are MEANINGLESS!!!! That list give absolutely no indication of the fun or value ANY of the consoles provide.
Why dont you give us some stats on exclusive bestselling software? Give me a list of all the games in the last 5 years that sold over 5 million, huge hits, and I bet the majority of them are Nintendo.[/QUOTE]

Sales are JUST as trustworthy as reviews.  In other words, not at all.  First of all, I already know that the Wii will have sold more.  But the question is, how can that say anything?  We don't know who bought these.  If a five-year-old bought a game (or their parents bought a game that they asked for), would that be an accurate assessment of how good the game is?  A five-year-old may enjoy Dora the Explorer.  Are you going to pick up Dora the Explorer next time you go to GameStop because it sold a lot to five-year-olds?  Also, there's no telling what happened afterwards.  Perhaps someone bought a game, but was severely disappointed by it and/or sold it back?  What if someone's game breaks and they have to buy a new one?  No, no...sales mean very little.  Sales are only useful as bragging rights for companies and fans to say that the game sold so much -- and the same situation for reviews as well.

[QUOTE]Forget that list and forget metacritic - everybody and their dog knows Nintendo games drive Nintendo consoles, and even ppl who cant hardly stand Nintendo will buy a Nintendo console for even a handful of games they cant find anywhere else. - unlike MS -  many of their games could be played by me on my anti-custom built walmart pc gaming rig - if I would care to buy them, which I don't![/QUOTE]

That's not really true...if someone truly dislikes Nintendo, they're not definitely getting their console for a handful of games.  Anyone who buys an entire console for a handheld of games is either rich or a careless spender.

Also, I hear this argument all the time.  First of all, you cannot get a good enough portion of games for PC that are also on 360.  Second of all, getting a PC that won't constantly lag during most games is going to be much more expensive than an Xbox 360.

[QUOTE]Nintendo gives their own console idenity, they sure dont have to rely on 3rd party devs, (who are apparently too scared to step in the ring against ninty with their a-list devs) to give them their killer apps (ala sony, its true, dont blame me!) But alas, look at what ignoring Nintendo has left them : between a rock and a hard place, leave prima wii pasture to Nintendo, or actually try to get a piece of wii action! Either way, Nintendo wins. I could care less, that just me, will be fun to watch....[/QUOTE]

Wow, what are you smoking?  From [URL=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wii_games]this list[/URL], I counted 59 titles published by Nintendo.  Not even developed, but published.  Unless I'm mistaken, they will publish some games that they don't personally develop, but they won't not publish something they developed.  Also, some of those are unreleased.  And that's out of  -- if we trust Metacritic -- 331.  So that means that third party companies aren't scared off at all, Nintendo just has crap for third party support.  They always have in recent memory.  And honestly, as you've said yourself all that matters is if the games are fun.  So why does it matter if the 360 and PS3 rely on a lot of third party support if the games are fun?  It doesn't.  Even when I liked Nintendo, I got a PS2 because I wanted to play third party games that the Gamecube didn't have like Battlefront 2.  And I'm glad I got a 360 so I can get titles like Mirror's Edge and Devil May Cry 4 instead of being stuck with a bunch of titles specifically made for Wii that suck, like Soul Calibur Legends versus Soul Calibur 4.  And I know I'm alone on this, but I'll put it out there nonetheless -- I can get Sonic '06 rather than being stuck with Sonic and the Secret Rings.

[QUOTE]Call it fanboyism if you wish, it is the truth. Difference between me and a lot of ppl is I aint afraid to say it, I dont apologise for it, and I do not have to 'prove' myself a lover of all gaming, with all of its virtues![/QUOTE]

Are you aware of the definition of a fanboy?  Just in case you aren't (as you don't seem to be), let me find it for you...

[QUOTE=The Urban Dictionary]1. A person who is completely loyal to a game or company reguardless of if they suck or not.[/QUOTE]

In case you think I made it up, the original site is [URL=http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fanboy]here[/URL].

Even if you want to nitpick about the exact definition, it's pretty much a consensus that it is NOT a positive thing.  A fanatic would be someone who's a really big fan of something.

ajsmart1

Postby ajsmart1 » January 3rd, 2009, 9:48 pm

[QUOTE=ActRaiser]
As for choosing which games to avoid, how?  1 out of 5 games is complete crap.  What's left isn't much better percentage wise.  If you go to Best Buy and randomly pull a game, you've got a 35% chance of getting a decent game (70-100 pts).  Compare that to the PS2 at 49%, 360 at 51%, PS3 at 60%.  As a result, there's no way in hell I'm going to look at a Wii game and think, what the hell, this might be good.  Hence, the perception problem.

Sure, if it's published by Nintendo odds are it will be decent (minus Wii Fit). 
[/QUOTE]
heh.  A buddy of mine who just got a Wii for his birthday tried this with disastrous results. He bought a racing game (don't know which title it was) because it looked cool. He couldn't believe how bad a game it was.  He's not huge into gaming. He doesn't read gaming blogs or read gaming mags.  He's just isn't up on what's out there for games. Before the Wii he had a PS2 and this is how he used to buy games... walk into a game store and pick something that looks like it might be fun.  I had warned him blind buying games for the Wii is a bit dicey.

There are great games out there for the Wii, but yeah, if it ain't published by Nintendo or you don't do the research, yous pays your money and yous takes your chances.

NixonTech2071

Postby NixonTech2071 » January 3rd, 2009, 10:40 pm

[QUOTE=Fragnox][QUOTE=steer]So who cares, average scores for consoles are MEANINGLESS!!!! That list give absolutely no indication of the fun or value ANY of the consoles provide.
Why dont you give us some stats on exclusive bestselling software? Give me a list of all the games in the last 5 years that sold over 5 million, huge hits, and I bet the majority of them are Nintendo.[/QUOTE]

Sales are JUST as trustworthy as reviews.  In other words, not at all.  First of all, I already know that the Wii will have sold more.  But the question is, how can that say anything?  We don't know who bought these.  If a five-year-old bought a game (or their parents bought a game that they asked for), would that be an accurate assessment of how good the game is?  A five-year-old may enjoy Dora the Explorer.  Are you going to pick up Dora the Explorer next time you go to GameStop because it sold a lot to five-year-olds?  Also, there's no telling what happened afterwards.  Perhaps someone bought a game, but was severely disappointed by it and/or sold it back?  What if someone's game breaks and they have to buy a new one?  No, no...sales mean very little.  Sales are only useful as bragging rights for companies and fans to say that the game sold so much -- and the same situation for reviews as well.

[QUOTE]Forget that list and forget metacritic - everybody and their dog knows Nintendo games drive Nintendo consoles, and even ppl who cant hardly stand Nintendo will buy a Nintendo console for even a handful of games they cant find anywhere else. - unlike MS -  many of their games could be played by me on my anti-custom built walmart pc gaming rig - if I would care to buy them, which I don't![/QUOTE]

That's not really true...if someone truly dislikes Nintendo, they're not definitely getting their console for a handful of games.  Anyone who buys an entire console for a handheld of games is either rich or a careless spender.

Also, I hear this argument all the time.  First of all, you cannot get a good enough portion of games for PC that are also on 360.  Second of all, getting a PC that won't constantly lag during most games is going to be much more expensive than an Xbox 360.

[QUOTE]Nintendo gives their own console idenity, they sure dont have to rely on 3rd party devs, (who are apparently too scared to step in the ring against ninty with their a-list devs) to give them their killer apps (ala sony, its true, dont blame me!) But alas, look at what ignoring Nintendo has left them : between a rock and a hard place, leave prima wii pasture to Nintendo, or actually try to get a piece of wii action! Either way, Nintendo wins. I could care less, that just me, will be fun to watch....[/QUOTE]

Wow, what are you smoking?  From [URL=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wii_games]this list[/URL], I counted 59 titles published by Nintendo.  Not even developed, but published.  Unless I'm mistaken, they will publish some games that they don't personally develop, but they won't not publish something they developed.  Also, some of those are unreleased.  And that's out of  -- if we trust Metacritic -- 331.  So that means that third party companies aren't scared off at all, Nintendo just has crap for third party support.  They always have in recent memory.  And honestly, as you've said yourself all that matters is if the games are fun.  So why does it matter if the 360 and PS3 rely on a lot of third party support if the games are fun?  It doesn't.  Even when I liked Nintendo, I got a PS2 because I wanted to play third party games that the Gamecube didn't have like Battlefront 2.  And I'm glad I got a 360 so I can get titles like Mirror's Edge and Devil May Cry 4 instead of being stuck with a bunch of titles specifically made for Wii that suck, like Soul Calibur Legends versus Soul Calibur 4.  And I know I'm alone on this, but I'll put it out there nonetheless -- I can get Sonic '06 rather than being stuck with Sonic and the Secret Rings.

[QUOTE]Call it fanboyism if you wish, it is the truth. Difference between me and a lot of ppl is I aint afraid to say it, I dont apologise for it, and I do not have to 'prove' myself a lover of all gaming, with all of its virtues![/QUOTE]

Are you aware of the definition of a fanboy?  Just in case you aren't (as you don't seem to be), let me find it for you...

[QUOTE=The Urban Dictionary]1. A person who is completely loyal to a game or company reguardless of if they suck or not.[/QUOTE]

In case you think I made it up, the original site is [URL=http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fanboy]here[/URL].

Even if you want to nitpick about the exact definition, it's pretty much a consensus that it is NOT a positive thing.  A fanatic would be someone who's a really big fan of something.
[/QUOTE]

your still trying to win???

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » January 3rd, 2009, 11:52 pm

[QUOTE=steer]Bottom line, Actraiser -  your 'game quality index' is ridiculous - you are judguing consoles now on who has the least amount of 'bad' games.

Honestly, is this any way to start a new year?

Great, you only think the wii has one A+ title. What is the point of all this, I ask you????
[/QUOTE]

I'm not judging, I'm only looking at the numbers, which Rob so kindly pointed out.  Again, to reiterate, the point was explaining the perception for why the Wii has such an abysmal library of games. 

Hey, I completely agree there are great games for the Wii.  However, my point was in trying to get you to understand why someone (me) could possibly suggest the Wii has some bad games.  I know, it takes a leap of freaking imagaination to comprehend such a thing. 

Lastly, I'm not the only one that thinks the Wii has only one A+ title.  For giggles I checked the critic's scores, as well.  Go figure, someone else supports the exact same idea.

feilong801

Postby feilong801 » January 4th, 2009, 1:07 am

The problem with these debates is they fly around all over the place. To be clear: I am addressing Fragnox's "Wii is crap" stuff.

Still, let me address a few concerns brought forth by Actraiser.

Yes, it is still popularity that has caused this. The PS2 is a totally different scenario, and I'll explain why.

What people always miss when making these comparisons is that PS2 was "bet on" by the industry. That is, the industry as a whole devoted a ton of resources to PS2 development.

Also, you cannot discount that PS2, while one of the great all time consoles, did not significantly change a control scheme. So devs knew what to do: more of them same, with better graphics.

The industry did not bet on Wii. Not one bit. Ubisoft was the only company in the West that put any kind of resources into development early on.

The immense popularity created a vacuum. High demand, little supply. Big devs caught flat flooted. So enter these little devs, putting out stuff that is cheap to make and fast to develop. They are filling a simple market void, that is all. They can sell these units because there aren't enough 3rd party titles to push them out of the market.

So, the surprise of the Wii and its popularity has caused the proportion to be what it is. This is blogged about in other places by people with better connections than me.

I have to really question the premise that the average, non gaming blog/website/mag reader has to automatically make bad decisions when going into stores to buy Wii games.

People make mistakes as we all do when buying software. But Shovelware, properly defined, is easy to spot because it is usually at the most $30, but probably even less than that, brand new. Most people understand the idea "you get what you pay for." Generally, if you buy something that retails for $50, you are going to get something decent. No, maybe not a great or good game, but at least one that isn't riddled with issues. Taking a chance on some budget game is OK because they are cheap. Meanwhile, every game for PS3 and 360 is $60 new, maybe $50 if it is a so called "budget" game. The risk is greater here.

For every anecdotal story of a neophtye gamer who buys aweful games at a whim on Wii there is another who buys stuff and likes said stuff.

And for the record the Critics are very much out to lunch on a good deal many Wii titles, including the Critic on this site. Now, I don't much care for grades, but there are definitely more than one A+ game, as I see it. I don't care what metacitic, The Video Game Critic, or anyone else says. I own all the platforms including the handhelds, and I have had just as many great gaming experiences on Wii as I have had on any other system.

The thing is, Fragnox is not arguing about a perception. I agree, there is a perception. He is arguing about what actually is, while putting the blame on Nintendo instead of where it really should be: on the developers.

-Rob

steer

Postby steer » January 4th, 2009, 9:07 am

Act raiser, you know better - I am harder on game quality than anyone here - thats why I have less games, buy less games, and complain less about games.

Fine, I am an ogre, but I do not forcefeed my ideas on unwilling parties, like your new friend Fragnox. Any noteriety I have earned has been in DEFENSE of my ideas, under attack,  not in the OFFENSIVE promotion of them....just read his original post in this topic - that is a guy you wnat to defend??? Maybe I will start making topics like that in 360/PS3 topics, do you think I do not for lack of creativity or inspiration - no, I do not because they are counterproductive and rude....but the rules of engagment are always different with the WIi and Nintendo - double standards for posters here as well....

JLH once wanted to exile me for sticking up for games, but had no problem with MIG (who I bear no animosity) for trashing games....if you are the wrong political party here, you risk isolation and enstrangment, but that is not the biggest risk in the world is it? I would rather be myself than to be liked.

I refuse to buy into game culture, it is too stupid to take seriously....

Return to “Modern Gaming”