Gamecube games on the Wii? With Wii controls?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
MigAlley

Postby MigAlley » January 8th, 2009, 7:48 am

I read on IGN that Nintendo is re-releasing games from the Gamecube on the Wii and adding motion controls. Is this true? I thought maybe it was a joke or something. How do people feel about this?

Fragnox

Postby Fragnox » January 8th, 2009, 8:53 am

No, this is definitely true.  The Play on Wii games are happening, it's just not certain when (as far as I've heard, anyways).  So far, the games that are being remade for Wii are;

- Metroid Prime
- Metroid Prime 2
- Donkey Kong Jungle Beat
- Pikmin
- Pikmin 2
- Chibi-Robo
- Mario Power Tennis
- Resident Evil

As far as I'm aware, anyways.  Someone correct me if I didn't list something/listed something that's not part of the Play on Wii project.

Personally, I'm kind of opposed to this.  If Nintendo did solid remakes, it'd be fine, but these were just last generation, people can play the games on the Wii if they really don't want to bother getting a Gamecube, and I doubt they'll be remakes at all.  Slightly enhancing a game's graphics and slapping motion sensor controls on it does not make a remake.  I'd rather them actually do a new Metroid game -- hell, even ANNOUNCE it -- rather than give me two games that I've already played.  I pray at least that they put games together; i.e., Pikmin 1 and Pikmin 2 together in a collection, and Metroid Prime 1 and 2 together in a collection, and/or selling them for $30-40 instead of a full $50.  If they actually do a quality remake, I wouldn't necessarily have a problem with full price and sold separately.  But I somehow don't see that coming.

I don't think I'm going to buy any of these personally, though.  Motion sensor can be fun, but I'm not going to reward Nintendo for taking perfectly good titles and sucking them into the realm of the Wii so they can make even more money, while we still get less for our money.
It's the principle of the thing -- plus, I own all of those that I actually want to own, for the original system.

steer

Postby steer » January 8th, 2009, 9:00 am

Well, it depends on who you are :

1. Ppl who Nintendo never sold a GC to  - good chance for both parties  to catch up, especially with Pikmin, whcih gets promotion as a bonus.

2. Some may really like a game, want to play it on a new controls scheme, ala Metroid.

3. Nintendo can fatten their lineup of origional wii titles with wiimakes in an 'easy' way.

I maybe maybe would get Prime 1, but I will not pay more than $20, I dont know what they retail for....IF they rereleased Toadstoll Tour with Golf controls I owuld probably get that, but I dunno about tennis. That is a fun game, thoiugh....

One bad thing about success is, we have not see a players choice on Wii yet....

kev

Postby kev » January 8th, 2009, 9:11 am

I heard that the first 2 metroid prime games were being rereleased with controls similar to the 3rd one. They already did it with twilight princess. I don't see it as a joke, just a way to make existing games more fun and interactive. I see it as a good thing. If these types of games start selling well on the wii, maybe developers will start making more of them and fewer "party" games.

Ken1

Postby Ken1 » January 8th, 2009, 10:44 am

The  Wii  just  plain  sucks.  (unless  you  are  8  or  a  overly  concerned  goody  two  shoes  parent)  Motion  control  is  very  lame  and  much  to  limited  anyway.

Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » January 8th, 2009, 11:03 am

I'm no massive supporter of this, and I really doubt I'd buy any of these game, but remember that the GC didn't sell anywhere near as good as the Wii, and this is a nice way for people to pick up some of the greatest titles they missed out on. Most of these games will also benefit quite a bit from the added motion control.

It's no different from the Wii edition of Resident Evil 4, and I didn't see many people complaining about that.

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » January 8th, 2009, 11:37 am

[QUOTE=Ken]

The  Wii  just  plain  sucks.  (unless  you  are  8  or  a  overly  concerned  goody  two  shoes  parent)  Motion  control  is  very  lame  and  much  to  limited  anyway.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, motion control is too limited.  We should probably stick with the alternative, NO motion control.  

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » January 8th, 2009, 11:48 am

I don't believe Resident Evil is on the list, though I could be wrong.  It certainly wasn't on the original list.  The original list contained only first party (or maybe second party) games, no third party games from publishers like Capcom.

I am absolutely thrilled that Metroid Prime and Prime 2 are being remade with motion controls.  From the beginning of the announcement of the motion controller several years ago, I had hoped this would happen.

[QUOTE=Fragnox]I don't think I'm going to buy any of these personally, though.  Motion sensor can be fun, but I'm not going to reward Nintendo for taking perfectly good titles and sucking them into the realm of the Wii so they can make even more money, while we still get less for our money.
It's the principle of the thing[/QUOTE]

It's something many Prime and Pikman fans in particular have been asking for, and they're just meeting that request/demand, so it's something I do in fact hope they make money doing.  As such, I am going to reward them for doing the logical and sane thing -- namely exactly what I hoped they would do.  It's the principle of the thing

Evan

Postby Evan » January 8th, 2009, 11:50 am

I think Metroid Prime and Pikmin would definitely be improved by motion controls, so I don't have a problem with it.  I haven't even played Metroid Prime 2, so I'm considering picking up the Wii version when it comes out.

snakeboy1

Postby snakeboy1 » January 8th, 2009, 12:13 pm

Can't wait for the Metroid Prime remakes to come out. I'll definitely be getting those.

I'm also intrigued by the Pikmin games since I've never played them.

Also might consider Mario Power Tennis if it turns out well.

I already have Chibi-Robo and Jungle Beat and can't see Wii controls making those games so much better that I'll want to buy them again.

Return to “Modern Gaming”