Wii Market is Full of ....

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » January 14th, 2009, 11:41 am

From Kotaku comes an article from 2K Boss.

http://kotaku.com/5131077/2k-boss-wii-market-is-full-of-crap

Anyone who has browsed the Nintendo Wii section of their favorite video game retail outlet lately has to agree with 2K Games global president Christoph Hartmann - the Wii market is flooded with crap.

There are a ton of games out for the Nintendo Wii to be sure, but for the uninformed consumer, finding a good one these days is like wading into a septic tank. I myself used to enjoy picking up the odd crap game now and then, but now there are so many it isn't even funny anymore. Hartmann explains where things have gone wrong.

"Where people go wrong in the casual market is that, while the development costs are exploding on the casual side, they’re treating the Wii like the old PC market – making cheap, accessible games. They think if they make ten titles and two are hits, they will finance the other eight. “But they forget these eight crappy titles will flood the market and will lead to problems in terms of production – and upset retailers. Also, the consumer will be pissed off because they’ll be confused.”

He's pretty much defined "Shovelware" for us here. Cheap little titles thrown out into the market in order to make a quick buck in between more interesting and involving products. The difference here is that while PC shovelware is generally content to rot away on websites, Wii shovelware rots away on store shelves, pissing off retailers and confusing customers.

It's almost painful to watch uninformed parents purchasing Wii games at retail stores these days. The mainstream media has made a must-have consumer product out of the Wii, so folks go out and pock up games for it thinking they can do no wrong, only to discover after the 20th collection of mini-games that perhaps they'd better start reading gaming websites and checking ratings before buying. I often find myself helping customers at game stores when they are about to make horrible, horrible mistakes.

Hell, the flood of crap hurts too, along with any other gaming site that seeks to keep up with reviews. We just can't. For every big game we reviewed this past holiday season, at least 5 crappy Wii titles hit shelves that we didn't touch. There's just not enough time, which means when consumers look online for a review, they don't find anything.

What worries me the most is that this is exactly what happened back in the days of the Atari 2600. Everyone had one, the market was flooded with crap titles, and the console died. Is there any way to stop it? Only Nintendo has that power, and judging from the list of upcoming Wii titles, they aren't planning on exercising it any time soon.

By Mike Fahey, 8:40 AM on Wed Jan 14 2009, 1,581 views

Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » January 14th, 2009, 12:46 pm

[QUOTE=Mike Fahey]
What worries me the most is that this is exactly what happened back in the days of the Atari 2600. Everyone had one, the market was flooded with crap titles, and the console died.[/QUOTE]

It also happened in the days of the PSX, PS2, and to a lesser degree NES, and they managed to survive just fine. Companies wanting to cash in on a hugely popular console by releasing games of lesser quality is nothing new.

Zenzerotron

Postby Zenzerotron » January 14th, 2009, 1:03 pm

My Wii was a dust-collecter for the last half of 2008.

But look what's coming out so far in 2009~

House Of The Dead Overkill
Madworld
Koroponi 2
Demon Sword
Wii Sports Resort

Despite all the shovelware crap, I totally agree with what is being said, but already with these games, there's reason to be a very happy Wii owner in 2009

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » January 14th, 2009, 2:47 pm

[QUOTE=Zenzerotron]My Wii was a dust-collecter for the last half of 2008.

But look what's coming out so far in 2009~

House Of The Dead Overkill
Madworld
Koroponi 2
Demon Sword
Wii Sports Resort

Despite all the shovelware crap, I totally agree with what is being said, but already with these games, there's reason to be a very happy Wii owner in 2009
[/QUOTE]

Mine has also been mostly unused for the past few months.  My PS3 and a few carefully selected games have kept me plenty busy, probably filling a small void that the Wii couldn't, namely games like Half Life 2 (for the 4th time) and both Resistance games.  I actually can't remember the last Wii release that I was excited about.  Probably Boom Blox, which was the last purchase I made on the Wii.  Hopefully things pick up.

Funkmaster V

Postby Funkmaster V » January 14th, 2009, 3:56 pm

My Wii is on 16 hours a day between the 9 people that live there. However, my friends that have Wiis always say stuff like "I just got Soul Caliber Legends for the Wii. It's not that great."

I'm always like "DAM! Read the reviews first, fool- or call me!" There is so much crap, and so many games that look promising that aren't. Wii Music has been the biggest disappointment for me so far... b/c I knew what was gonna be crap and what wasn't.

For me to buy a game these days, it better be good.

Funk

Michael D

Postby Michael D » January 14th, 2009, 4:21 pm

A few things about this Wii shovelware situation...

1. It's kind of ironic the way that Nintendo is allowing every game under the sun to come out on their systems now (this also includes the DS), regardless of quality, when they were the exact opposite during the NES days.  Which leads me to...

2. The Atari 2600 comparison is in no way off-base.  Although bad software on game systems is certainly nothing new, there's something to be said when a majority of games on the Wii (and to a lesser extent, the DS) are slapped together trash that now, far more often than before, barely even work properly, which certainly doesn't bode well for the industry as a whole (not to mention the fact that we've reached a point where buggy games like Mercenaries 2: World in Flames are considered acceptable by mainstream critics and even some gamers).

And finally, because of these problems, Nintendo does run the risk of making the Wii ending up like the Gamecube and N64 in that it becomes a placeholder system to everyone but the casual market (but even they could be turned off eventually by the lack of quality software and it could cause a backlash).

Anayo1

Postby Anayo1 » January 14th, 2009, 8:47 pm

People need to inform themselves before they buy games. I openly admit that the DS is flooded with shovelware, but I have no problem avoiding it and sticking with gems like Contra 4, New Super Mario Bros., Chrono Trigger, etc. Folks need to just do a little research beforehand.

steer

Postby steer » January 15th, 2009, 5:30 pm

I agree the wii is trash - luckily I finally saw the light, ebayed it, got all my money back and more, and now I have a 360 and a PS3 on the way from ebay - here are some of the hot titles I picked up, check the links! 

360:

MX vs. ATV Untamed

Monopoly

Cabela's Alaskan Adventure

Cars

CSI: Crime Scene Investigation: Hard Evidence

WALL-E

Word Soup

Writer's Block

Madagascar 2: Escape 2 Africa

My Horse & Me 2

PS3:

Karaoke Revolution Presents: American Idol Encore

Go! Sports Skydiving

Go! Swizzleblock 2

Def Jam: Icon

Disney Sing It! High School Musical 3: Senior Year

DJ Hero

BUZZ! Quiz TV

Now THAT is a good game line-up!Eventually, casuals will see the light and go to the REAL game consoles!

Julio III

Postby Julio III » January 15th, 2009, 5:52 pm

My Wii has pretty much being gathering dust most of last year as well. It started out well with me finishing all 120 stars in Super Mario Galaxy, which is a 5 star game and then me purchasing and getting addicted to Geometry Wars Galaxies which fit the Wii's controls perfectly. After a while I bought Endless Ocean which is a great game and completely different to most others as its really relaxing and then in April I bought No More Heroes. Then... thats it. Until just before the New Year when I got Ghost Squad and Boom Blox in a buy one get one free deal. Even if there are good games out they are lost on shop shelves due to other games. And the "hardcore" style games like Call of Duty are simply done better on the 360/PS3 than the Wii.

I'm not expecting much out of the Wii this year. I'll probably open Boom BLox, see what everyone is going on about. I might step into WiiWare as well to try out LostWinds and a couple of other games. But I dislike the lack of demos available.

As for the other games ZEN mentioned: I won't pay full price for a lightgun game, Madworld looks like No More Heroes to me - all style but slightly lackluster gameplay. No interest at all in a new Wii Sports, and also not that interested in a new Kororinpa, despite absolutely loving the first one.

I think the DS has also gone down with the problem of the market being flooded by far too many games most on here will call "shovelware" or "casual". Out of the 43 (!) DS games I own, I only bought 4 of them last year, with the last one in April! These games are Arkanoid DS (solely for the paddle controller, I love novelty value), Sonic Rush (er, old game), Space Invaders Extreme (absolutely fantastic), and Ontamarama (2nd rate rhythm action). I do know that there are some other fantastic games released last year though that I should pick up, namely: More Phoenix Wright, Professor Layton, Rhythm Tengoku Gold, Bangai-O Spirits, Ketsui, Korg DS-10, Metal Slug 7. Wow! what a list, I wonder what is coming out next year.

I think the thing is now is that there are a lot of formats out there and they are each sufficiently different that the market can support all of them and big gamers will probably end up with a few different systems.

QF

Postby QF » January 16th, 2009, 2:25 am

Return to “Modern Gaming”