Wii Market is Full of ....

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
BanjoPickles1

Postby BanjoPickles1 » January 16th, 2009, 4:32 am

Actually, Julio, the Wii in 2009 looks to be on the up, and largely due to third-party support:

Fragile
Madworld
The Conduit
Little King's Story
Punch Out!(first party)
Monster Hunter Tri
Tenchu 4
Deadly Creatures
Fatal Frame 4
No More Heroes 2
Wii Sports Resort(first party)
House of the Dead Overkill
Another Code
Sin and Punishment 2
Let's Tap(looks interesting...could be good)

There are more, but I can't recall their names. There's an rpg coming out that looks as though it got inspiration from Shadow of the Collossus. Also, an action-rpg that takes inspiration from Norse mythology.

Julio, the early impressions on Madworld are actually pretty damn good. Don't lose complete interest until you know more about the game. For starters, I doubt you're going to have a No More Heroes clone. It was a great game, at least for me, but I doubt it would be the type of game to have much influence on the market. Also, may I ask you a question? If you loved the first Kororinpa so much, why would you have no interest in a sequel? Also, is the first really that good? I've been meaning to pick it up(though I can't find it in stores at all!) but I wanted to get more impressions from people first.

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » January 16th, 2009, 9:19 am

[QUOTE=QF]Upcoming Wii Releases
[/QUOTE]

QF, awesome find.  There's a number of gems coming down the pipeline. 

Oh, I snagged a good Wii game for everyone else that's looking for something to play on the Wii.  Check out Battalion Wars 2.  It's worth it at $20.  But I wouldn't pay more than that for it.  So far it's been a fun RTS game.

Julio III

Postby Julio III » January 16th, 2009, 1:28 pm

Hey Banjo. Yeah, I really enjoyed Kororinpa a lot. Its a very simple premise and very videogamey. Very much a try and do this. Now do it faster. And faster. Rinse, repeat. Two-player splitscreen is great fun too. It uses the Wii remote in a fantastic way. That kind of game is designed for the Wii remote. I don't know why I'm not that interested in a sequal. Maybe because all its going to do is offer more levels and not expand the premise. For example, on the GBA, I loved KuruKuru Kururin, which is a game about moving a constantly rotating stick around a maze without touching the sides but I felt the sequal, Kururin Paradise was dissapointing.

I guess there is a good Wii line-up for 2009. I just haven't looked much at it. That Endless Ocean 2 shot looks beautiful. I saw a video of someone playing Fatal Frame 4 on the Japanese Wii and that looks actually terrifying. Good to see a Sandlot game and maybe the Oneechanbara game will be ported also.

Aaron

Postby Aaron » January 16th, 2009, 2:36 pm

I really enjoy my Wii, but I have to agree with the problem of all the shovelware.  When I first bought the Wii, I picked up a lot of games only to trade them in as they were of such poor quality.  Today I am very cautious of purchasing Wii software because there is so much junk out there.  I play my Wii fairly often although not as much as my other systems.  When I do play, I find myself going back to Wii Sports and Tiger Woods Golf (two very high quality games in my humble opinion.  My advice to all my friends looking to purchase a Wii is to always try and rent a game before purchase.  Shovelware doesn't have to be a big problem as long as you are careful before making purchases.

N64dude

Postby N64dude » January 24th, 2009, 10:07 pm

The only reason Wii gets so much attention about all this shovelware is because

A.The real games aren't out yet
B.Most of the crap is in one genre which takes up most of the systems library
C.The graphics are crap

PS2 had and still has 10 times more shovelware,PSX is soooo bad the only games worth playing are Frogger,Final Fantasy VII,Metal Gear Solid,Gran Turismo,and Crash 2.

I bet by the time it's all over the console known for crap will be PS3,just as GameCube is the one now,or Saturn was a year before it was discontinued

the 2009 line-up looks great

No More Heroes: Desperate Struggle
Fatal Frame IV
Tenchu 4
Monster Hunter 3
Dead Rising
Deadly Creatures
Need for Speed:Undercover
Kirby(First Party)
Deca Sports 2
Forever Blue 2
Sin and Punishment 2

The list goes on

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » January 24th, 2009, 10:13 pm

[QUOTE=N64dude]PSX is soooo bad the only games worth playing are Frogger,Final Fantasy VII,Metal Gear Solid,Gran Turismo,and Crash 2.[/QUOTE]

I was with you until you said that last part there.

The PS1 did indeed have the largest bin of shovelware I've ever witnessed.  It seemed like every store I went into, regardless of what kind of store it was, had unknown and unremembered PS1 crapware all over the place.  I can remember going through the checkout line at drug stores and seeing PS1 shovelware lining the "last minute buy" strip for years.

But to say that only those games you mentioned are worth playing... well that's just not true.  You left out a number of titles that were great for their time, some of which still are.

Stalin

Postby Stalin » January 29th, 2009, 2:30 am

The PS1 had loads of great games and bad games unprecedented on any console which came before it because it was the first real console which used CDs and succeeded. It had almost as many A-rated titles and B-rated titles as it had unplayable shovelware. Despite the unprecedented amount of shovelware, the PS1 is one of the most celebrated consoles and the market never crashed. So the Wii with its unforgivable number of shovelware titles probably is not going to crash the market either.

steer

Postby steer » January 29th, 2009, 8:35 am

The economy can 'crash' the market, 'shovelware' certainly won't....

For as blind and stupid as consumers supposedly are, it sure seems like the cream is rising to the top, as far as what sells on wii. If you want to look for 'instability' in the game market, look places other than Nintendo, I say:

Look at Sony losing a boatload of money, and almost all of their 3rd party PS2 exclusives -their most valuable commodity, and then coming into 2nd in the heart and minds of their base to the 360, despite it being possibly the most unreleiable console in history....(I was wrong on this one!) I am not trolling, but anyone can see no one has done more than Sony to accidently reverse their own fortunes. It is somewhat mind boggling, to tell the truth. At the same time MS has to be bittersweet about the losses they have suffered to get where they are.

Does it make sense for all these big devs to be facing losses and cutting staff after we have heard nothing but unprecedented growth for gaming the last 2 years?? The economy woes have apparently not hit the game industry yet, and there are more losers than winers. I think that odd.

You have to believe there are some fundamental flaws with the way a lot of ppl do business, and it aint working anymore. Be interesting to see how ppl adapt.

Nintendo had new ideas and new IP's these last 5 years, and the market responded favorably, to say the least. Time for the big boys to put their blockbusters on ice and try something new, or at least do some concurrent development of new franchises for classic and arcade gaming.

I think as long they stay obssessed with the idea of competing with Hollywood, and creating 'interactive' cinema, Nintendo will continue to thrive. Maybe it is big investors from the entertainment industry pushing these game studios.

Michael D

Postby Michael D » January 29th, 2009, 10:55 pm

[QUOTE=N64dude]The only reason Wii gets so much attention about all this shovelware is because

A.The real games aren't out yet
B.Most of the crap is in one genre which takes up most of the systems library
C.The graphics are crap

PS2 had and still has 10 times more shovelware,PSX is soooo bad the only games worth playing are Frogger,Final Fantasy VII,Metal Gear Solid,Gran Turismo,and Crash 2.

I bet by the time it's all over the console known for crap will be PS3,just as GameCube is the one now,or Saturn was a year before it was discontinued

the 2009 line-up looks great

No More Heroes: Desperate Struggle
Fatal Frame IV
Tenchu 4
Monster Hunter 3
Dead Rising
Deadly Creatures
Need for Speed:Undercover
Kirby(First Party)
Deca Sports 2
Forever Blue 2
Sin and Punishment 2

The list goes on
[/QUOTE]

Well, hold on a second. Let's take these points one by one.

First, what do you mean the "real Wii games" aren't out yet? Do Super Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Bros Brawl, Metroid Prime 3, Zelda: Twilight Princess and even Mario Kart not count?

Second, there are shovelware Wii games in every imaginable genre, not just one.  We have bad shooters, bad racers, bad platformers, bad action/adventure games, and bad music games on the Wii, just to name a few genres.

Third, although shovelware is certainly nothing new to gaming and the PS1 and PS2 certainly have their share of it, at least they were overshadowed by the quality titles, including first party games.  On Wii, we're even seeing Nintendo throw out lazy throwaway titles like Wii Music, Animal Crossing: City Folk and that Mario Power Tennis rerelease that they're doing soon, and now, they're not keeping the quality software coming to effectively distract us from the garbage.

And finally, let's take a look at the upcoming "great games:"

No More Heroes: Desperate Struggle: Sure looks great, but who's willing to bet that it'll be yet another good third party Wii game that hardly anyone buys?

Fatal Frame IV: See above.

Tenchu 4: This series is finished and they should just end it rather than force terrible sequels on us.

Monster Hunter 3:  Haven't seen it, so it might be interesting, but has this series ever made any significant impact in the States? No, and it's probably safe to say that this one won't either. 

Dead Rising: Perhaps the 360's most overrated game is coming to the less powerful Wii? No thanks; once was enough. 

Deadly Creatures: I can't argue with this one, as it looks to be awesome. I just hope people are willing to give it a try...

House of the Dead Overkill: Same as Deadly Creatures.

Need for Speed: Undercover: First of all, this game is already out, and second, it proves that EA should thank their stars that they have the Burnout franchise, which has effectively rendered this series obsolete.

Kirby: Is this even still coming out? I hope so, but Nintendo's been as willing to talk about it as the excellent Wario Land: Shake It (another game of theirs that they seemed ashamed of)

Deca Sports 2: Because I'm fair, I'm assuming that you mean Wii Sports Resort, because it's the only collection of sports games on this system that really matters.

Forever Blue 2: I'm not sure what this is, although it sounds like another game in the Lost in Blue series, so perhaps it has a shot at success. 

Sin and Punishment 2: A definate seller, a game that looks great and something that both hardcore and casual gamers can appreciate. 

steer

Postby steer » January 30th, 2009, 9:49 pm

And finally, let's take a look at the upcoming "great games:"

Well - you may not call them'great', but do you know they are bad and mediocre, unplayed, as you seem to suggest???? What is the diferrence, why so pessimistic about someone else optomism?

Lots of opinions, I like facts. Here is Nintendo's list of published games on Wii for 2008, and after that the announced game for 2009 and/or beyond.

On Wii, we're even seeing Nintendo throw out lazy throwaway titles like :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_published_by_Nintendo

Why are gamer' today so darn jaded? It gets old. I would like to know - someone please post the message detail - the last time someone called Sony or MS software 'lazy' on these boards?

Why do ppl have ulcers over Nintendo?

No More Heroes: Desperate Struggle: Sure looks great, but who's willing to bet that it'll be yet another good third party Wii game that hardly anyone buys?

This is just a ridiculous myth - why the hell did they make a sequel than?

Why is Boom Blox getting a sequel? Tax right-off time, or what?

If you don't care about 'good' sales, why fret over 'bad'? Thats kind of sad when you have to 'handicap' a game with anticipated 'bad' sales. If it is all sunshine and lollipops on PS3 and 360, seems funny any one makes a game for Wii at all.....

Return to “Modern Gaming”