I think I'm a one console gamer

General and high profile video game topics.
Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » January 16th, 2009, 6:13 pm

I think I'm a one console gamer now.  Having sold most of my collection of 25 or so consoles/ handhelds I don't miss any at all.  Got rid of the first ones in 2007 and haven't even thought about them since. 

In any case, my 7800 just broke (which doubles as my 2600) and I haven't felt the urge to play any other system.  I still have my O2, Master System, Genesis, and Wii (my other favorites), but I have no desire to start them up.  I hadn't realized until now exactly how little I play anything else.  The most I've done is download Zuma for the computer and play that, as it doesn't require any set up.  I have otherwise just given it up while waiting for my new 7800 to arrive.  I think I'm a one console guy (albiet that console plays games from two libraries).  Anyone else out there pretty much only one console specific?

steer

Postby steer » January 16th, 2009, 7:23 pm

I am one console as well.

I find it interesting when ppl rip a console and say it 'collects dust'.

The reason they collect dust is cause you dont spend money on them. For example I haev a DS I have not played in 6 months and the last game I got for it was Advance Wars. Why?

Wii takes all the time I have. If I cannot get to the bottom of the Wii library, why invest in another console?

I think you get more out of them that way as well.

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » January 16th, 2009, 9:10 pm

I'm not a one console guy, but at least you have good taste and picked the best console to love.

I could easily be satisfied with my 7800 and my Cuttle Cart II (And Pitfall 2 on cartridge), along with a nice arcade controller.

snakeboy1

Postby snakeboy1 » January 16th, 2009, 9:30 pm

I suppose I could be a one console guy if I had to be, but I don't think I would want to. Because of my gaming ADD (which I'm heavily medicated for, by the way), in addition to finding it hard to concentrate on a single game for a long period of time, I also find it hard to stick with one console.

I suppose if the situation occurred where I had to choose one console, I would probably choose the Wii, though that would be kinda cheating since I could play many other consoles via the Virtual Console.

BanjoPickles1

Postby BanjoPickles1 » January 16th, 2009, 11:40 pm

I'm not a one console guy either but there is always one console each generation I appreciate over the others(snes over genesis, ps1 over 64, wii over the others). I have always loved the idea of options, I guess. When one system's upcoming games falls flat, it's okay because I'll just look over here and eventually you'll release something that will completely knock my socks off!

I don't know if any of my systems have ever "collected dust." I always have something to play on them! Hell, I still plug in my 7800 just for a round of Food Fight!

Fragnox

Postby Fragnox » January 17th, 2009, 12:57 am

Yeah, I'm not a one-console-gamer myself.  I generally go through different phases -- for example, now I'm playing mostly Xbox 360, console-wise, and Nintendo DS, handheld-wise.  For a while before I got my 360 (which was recently), I was in a retro gaming phase -- N64, SNES, Genesis.  And so on and so forth.

I know where steer's coming from, but I would personally disagree because each console (most of them, anyways) have something to offer -- so to stick with only one makes you miss out on some good things -- which I learned after I got over my "Anything Xbox sucks, anything Nintendo rules" phase -- in other words, I was a fanboy.
And just so you know, steer, this is just my personal opinion and experience, I'm not trying to argue or start an argument or anything.  I just don't want any misconceptions here.

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » January 17th, 2009, 6:08 pm

Well, Atarifever you have a right to love what you want, but as much as I love the 7800, it doesn't fill my gaming desires.

What do you do when you want to play puzzle games? Is there even one for the 7800?! No, I turn to my DS. Best puzzle games available, WORD JONG, PLANET PUZZLE LEAGUE, DS TETRIS, ZOOKEEPER!
(Plus I'm mostly bed bound now and its easier to play..I do get up to play others though.)

And SHOOTERS. we talked about this. The best thing about a shooter is the intense MUSIC and explosive sounds and brilliant graphics! PLANET SMASHERS on 7800 is so bad, even ASTRO WARRIOR on SMS is better-at least you have MUSIC and EXPLOSIONS that dont sound like gas! Better still, fire up GENESIS and TF2 and 3, BIOHAZZARD, FIRESHARK, TRUXTON! Are you seriously saying 7800 IKARI WARRIORS is better than Genesis MERCS!???!!!

Each system has areas that it excels in. i fire up my 7800 when I want to play CLASSIC COIN-OPS! 7800 has the best CENTIPEDE, GALAGA, MS.PAC MAN-ON PM COLLECTION; ASTEROIDS and more.

But when I want simple 1970's games I play Odyssey2...when I want shooters, Genesis, platformers NES or SNES, and METAL SLUG or DRIVING GAMES, my PS2-my most mordern system!

Zen called me on having an 8-track mind stuck in the past-true, but at least I play multiple systems. I bet you will yearn for other consoles in time...I went months playing only the DS or 7800 but eventually had to move on!

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » January 17th, 2009, 7:25 pm

[QUOTE=Alienblue]
What do you do when you want to play puzzle games? Is there even one for the 7800?! [/quote]
I play Klax (7800) or Stratogems Deluxe (2600) when I'm in my very infrequent puzzle moods.

[quote=Alienblue]
And SHOOTERS. we talked about this. The best thing about a shooter is the intense MUSIC and explosive sounds and brilliant graphics! PLANET SMASHERS on 7800 is so bad, even ASTRO WARRIOR on SMS is better-at least you have MUSIC and EXPLOSIONS that dont sound like gas! Better still, fire up GENESIS and TF2 and 3, BIOHAZZARD, FIRESHARK, TRUXTON! Are you seriously saying 7800 IKARI WARRIORS is better than Genesis MERCS!???!!![/quote]
I guess saying I play Sirius or Plutos on emulator is a cop out, but then I've still got slide and shoot shooters, like Space Invaders (7800), Galaga (7800), Galaxian (2600), and Demon Attack (2600).  Then there's Planet Smashers once in awhile.  And that Buck Rodgers game, Vanguard, and some others.

I don't know that Ikari Warriors is better than Mercs, but between Ikari Warriors, Commando, Front Line (2600), and Robotron, I don't feel the need to do much more in that category anyway.

Bruce

Postby Bruce » January 17th, 2009, 11:22 pm

Limiting yourself to one console is like limiting yourself to one restaurant.  You might enjoy the local steakhouse, but every now and then you want to eat Chinese, Italian, Greek, etc.

Variety is good.  I currently own seven (!) old consoles and I enjoy games on all of them.  I usually only have one or two connected to the TV, and when I'm bored of their games, I try running another machine for a while...

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » January 18th, 2009, 8:44 am

[QUOTE=Bruce]Limiting yourself to one console is like limiting yourself to one restaurant.  You might enjoy the local steakhouse, but every now and then you want to eat Chinese, Italian, Greek, etc.

[/QUOTE]
But the thing is, it's not intentional limitation.  I have had over 25 systems at once, and still have several.  It's just that I have no interest in the others, at all.  I'm not making a statement of a new lifestyle choice or anything.  I'm pointing out that, despite trying to be "into" other consoles, I'm just not. 

It's like if in your comparison I had tried every restaurant I saw, but only liked the local steakhouse.  It wouldn't be intentionally only eating from one menu, but you like what you like. 

Return to “Video Games General”