Bitter about PS3- Sony has lost my sympathy.

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
TheBawwRadar

Postby TheBawwRadar » January 23rd, 2009, 10:59 pm

Just my useless point of view... And no, I'm not converting to fanaticism...

Would I be lying if I said the PS3 is becoming more desirable in terms of games?

Would I be lying if I said Sony has been giving us our dream's with the PS3?

YES I WOULD BE AT THIS TIME!

I am getting bored of Resistance: Fall of man. I am losing patience with the firmware constantly updating and not causing any real change on the worn out experience.

Let's just make this whole thing a bit more clear. PlayStation 1, PlayStation 2 compatibility are the only- REAL -reason's I have this system! I try to excuse myself from the Internet just so I don't have to wait 13 minutes for a firmware update to be installed. A free Internet access should'nt do that.

The biggest problem is how it's library's originality hold's up to the PC library-- Allot of it's games just sound like they reside in both places at once. Even with Dead Space and Grand Theft Auto IV, it isn't any better compared to PC's. The Xbox 360, Wii, and Even the original Xbox had a much more original lineup of game's.

Just in case you don't understand, the PC market is flooded with graphics-hog-based garbage.

And am I impressed with home? Graphically, yes, with entertainment? NO!!!

Kim

Postby Kim » January 24th, 2009, 1:38 am

I must say that I find as many good games on the PS3 as on the Xbox 360, contrary to public opinion. But that doesnt account for the fact that a PS3 costs as twice as much as a 360, doesnt have a good online service, and has not a lot of original games.

steer

Postby steer » January 24th, 2009, 8:48 am

This is SECA's big year, aint it? Aint there a lot of 1rst party Sony stuff on the way?

Not sure if any of them are too 'origional',  I think they are mostly sequels, but fun is as important as origional, and both is the best!

One thing on the '10 year lifecycle'. I think they are saying it to pacify current owners of the system, but if PS3 sales slump further.....I dont know what Sony will do, but just cause they are Sony dont mean they can keep it going forever...

Just look at Dreamcast, even look at GC.

Sure Nintendo did fine software wise on GC, and made mopney. but even when they dropped that bugger to $100 they had trouble moving them. They even stoppen making them for a while... Both D-cast and GC had great libraries, but most of whom wanted them already had them. Generally the mass market gets behind one console, sometimes it is split a little bit and the 2nd console does ok, but the 3rd console becomes the home of diehards and suffers quite a bit.

There are a lot of factors, but some systems inevitably stop drawing customers, and ussually at about this time in their life.

Maybe this gen will be an exception? 

I am completely mystified to the apeal of HOME, I have no idea what they hope to accomplish there.

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » January 24th, 2009, 6:50 pm

[QUOTE=steer]
I am completely mystified to the appeal of HOME, I have no idea what they hope to accomplish there.
[/QUOTE]

The funniest part of it, is that Sony doesn't even know what they hope to accomplish with it.

I did see a funny youtube clip on Home.  Some guy had a 'hot' chick dancing in a room.  The longer she dances the more other dudes start dancing around her.  As soon as she's surrounded by other dudes dancing he changes her avatar of a hot chick to some fat tall bald guy dancing.  It's hilarious to see everyone else do a WTF and start walking away.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 24th, 2009, 7:15 pm

I think Sony's goal is the same one that console makers have had for decades: Create an all-in-one multimedia center in each household.  This would allow Sony to profit on all media formats: on-line games, movies, television, music, etc.  If Sony can establish itself as your gateway to all of this, they would rule the industry (much like Google as does in the search engine business).

This idea began with the 3DO in the 90's, but you can even trace it back to systems like the Intellivision and Colecovision, which tried to expand into the home computer market.

The thing is, it never works.  And the further a company strays from their core game business, the more the strategy backfires on them.

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » January 24th, 2009, 7:20 pm

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]I think Sony's goal is the same one that console makers have had for decades: Create an all-in-one multimedia center in each household.  This would allow Sony to profit on all media formats: on-line games, movies, television, music, etc.  If Sony can establish itself as your gateway to all of this, they would rule the industry (much like Google as does in the search engine business).[/QUOTE]

The 360 is doing similar things, but I find myself ok with it despite being against it for years.  I love having the option to watch Netflix on TV without requiring the shipment of DVDs.

Return to “Modern Gaming”