wii graphics

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
kev

wii graphics

Postby kev » January 16th, 2009, 10:58 am

I'll start by saying that I am very happy with the nintendo wii, and I am not bashing it, and I know that there are more important things in making a game fun than it's graphics. But something has been bugging me for a while.
I know that even though the wii specs don't compare with the 360 or ps3, they are still well above last gen specs. I think I remember reading once that it's about twice as powerful as the gamecube was. So what drives me nuts is that whenever I play a gamecube game on the wii (and most of them are used ones I've picked up recently so I'm playing them for the first time) I'm struck by how much better the graphics look compared to the wii games I play on it.
Are developers just not trying anymore? Do they just assume that since I bought a wii I don't want fancy graphics? There are some exceptions, but most of the wii games I play look less detailed than the gamecube games.
I don't just mean less realistic and more stylistic, I mean it looks like they really didn't put as much effort into making it look nice.
Has anybody else noticed this?

steer

wii graphics

Postby steer » January 16th, 2009, 11:36 am

Not really. I guess my favorite looking games on Wii are :

Mario Galaxy

Mario Kart - its in the art style of the one above, afterall, not to mention it does a great job of retrofitting GBA, SNES and N64 graphics - nice touch!

Wii Fit (that island is sharp!)

Wii Play (dont laugh! There is some awesome art style going on, I like the look of Tanks, Pong, and Cow Racing (hate the game) best)

Wii Sports - love the Golf Course

Also the Zelda Windwaker stage on Brawl was just gorgeous, I much prefer that to the TP style, but that is just me.

One last point - but I still love how GC games look! Lol, I am fine with Battalion Wars, Pikmin 2, Mario Kart DD, so maybe I am not the one to ask, I think they all STILL look FANTASTIC!

I even think Mario 64 on ED on the Wii looks great. And now that I mention it MM9 (wiiware) and Mario 3 (vc) are awesome as well. 

gleebergloben1

wii graphics

Postby gleebergloben1 » January 16th, 2009, 11:56 am

i can feel a massive and wicked full-blown storm a-brewin'.

Julio III

wii graphics

Postby Julio III » January 16th, 2009, 1:18 pm

I think there are two things. First as you point out, a lot of developers don't bother to push the graphics on the Wii. And second is pure pixel count. After you've experienced some hi-def goodness, even the Wii's menu looks a bit nasty. However, there are openings for lots of style in the Wii's games. I mean, look at Super Mario Galaxy and  Madworld. Two original looks. Also No More Heroes tried to have stylish graphics, but really, is kindof styled retro-ish and does often look horribly pixellated and low-res.

I guess I know what you mean, the Gamecube pumped out Resident Evil 4, why can't Wii games keep up?

kev

wii graphics

Postby kev » January 16th, 2009, 5:22 pm

Actually, I don't have a ps3 or 360, so it's not a pixel issue. It's comparing wii games on a wii to gamecube games on a wii. For some reason the gamecube games just look nicer to me, like they were trying harder back then and are being purposly minamalist now.

bluemonkey1

wii graphics

Postby bluemonkey1 » January 17th, 2009, 5:07 am

Actually performance wise the Wii is very, very similar to the Gamecube, certainly not twice as powerful.  It is basicly a GC with more memory and a slightly improved graphics processor.

chrisbid1

wii graphics

Postby chrisbid1 » January 17th, 2009, 1:20 pm

i think weve reached the point (or have come close to the point) where art design is more important than graphics. i dont foresee any jump in graphics that will look substantially more realistic than they do now.

whatever design an artist can come up with now be brought to life in a game console with little strain on the hardware

and for some games, a simple art design is the way to go, and it should not be seen as a negative so long as the game is fun to play

Kim

wii graphics

Postby Kim » January 24th, 2009, 8:40 pm

I have noticed the problem with the Wii graphics as well, and i think it simply shows that people are no longer as concerned about graphics as they had been back in the PS2 and GameCube days. I am not saying that those who buy the Wii are not concerned about graphics, but emphasis on gameplay, innovation and simplicity seems to be the main concerns now.

Oltobaz1

wii graphics

Postby Oltobaz1 » January 25th, 2009, 8:28 am

Actually, there are some good looking Wii games. Redsteel, for instance, is pretty good in the graphic department. Also, have you checked Fire Emblem?
Admittedly, it's not all that impressive, but still looks better than the Gamecube installment...

Return to “Modern Gaming”