Steppin' back from the epic games for awhile

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
BanjoPickles1

Postby BanjoPickles1 » January 25th, 2009, 11:19 pm

Aside from Metroid Prime Corruption, nothing "epic" has been grabbing me lately. Fable II bored me to tears, same goes for Prince of Persia(so far). I've actually been having more fun with Pinball Hall of Fame, old nes games, and constant replays of Mega Man 9 than anything else lately! I just don't think I'm in the mindset for these big games right now, really.

Well, I've been perusing the WiiWare section and I think I'm going to get a few games that the wife, the kids, and I can all enjoy together for awhile. If any of you have played these, let me know what you think. I've read reviews, and most of them seem good enough, but I'd like to hear from some of you:

1). Mahoboshi's Arcade(I think that's what it's called)-This game got stellar reviews, looks really addicting. Has anybody taken it for a spin?

2). Fun! Fun! Minigolf!-I absolutely LOVE minigolf and I'm hearing pretty good things about it. Any takers?

3). Midnight Pool-I loved Billiards for Wii Play(one of two games I still pull out on occasion). In fact, that was the only pool game I played that actually felt like pool to me!

4). Target Pro: Bags-My friends and I, every now and then, go to a nearby pub where they have this as an arcade. I heard this is a pretty-accurate approximation of that.

I think those four may be a good start to sate my latest "simple fun" craving. Any other suggestions? Simple, NOT epic!

steer

Postby steer » January 26th, 2009, 2:08 pm

I dont know about any of those games, Banjo - I heard some hype on the arcade one, but never looked into it. I would do some research though - maybe on gamefaqs, that wiiware is a dart board, dont throw blindfolded!- you could be sick of 'simple' gaming in a hurry if you pick wrong!

I can recommend :

Cubello - it aint perfect, but it is fun, and gets addicting. Also it has 'everyman' apeal/

Orbient - this game dont have 'everyman' apeal, but I found it addicting and engrossing. But it depends on your tastes, it is slow too. I think it is uber cool.

MarioKartDD - Did I once say this was half a game compared to MKWii? Well maybe it is, but the half that is there is a tight arcade fist of a game - great control, great tracks, no chessy items that plague MKWii and MKDS ('cept for 'specials') - you are laid out fast, you get off the floor fast. Like a full contact 200 yard sprint!

Did you like Crossbow Traing? Than Wild West Guns is for you. It is kinda off a rehash, but it is funny, too, and they did add onto the ideas theymore or less lifted. Great western steryotypes, the cowgirl chick is the fastest on the draw, and oh what a hottie!

N64Dude1

Postby N64Dude1 » January 26th, 2009, 2:29 pm

Maybe something like Dr.Mario Online RX,it's simple fun old puzzle game or World of Goo those are some good WiiWare games

Julio III

Postby Julio III » January 26th, 2009, 6:30 pm

This is what annoys me about WiiWare compared to Xbox Live Arcade. The lack of demos! Demos are the best part about XBLA. You can see the list of games, view some videos and get a chance to play them and if you enjoy, you can think about buying them. There are quite a few WiiWare games I might try but am unwilling to do so.

Out of your list I have only played Maboshi: The 3 Shape Arcade, and did this at a friends house. It seems like a good game to play multiplayer and reminds me of those little freeware PC games you got back in the day. There are three pretty simple games which are all okay but you may like them or not. I don't know whether to recommend it or not as I haven't put a lot of time into it but my friend was mildly addicted to one of the games. I just couldn't get the hang of it though!

snakeboy1

Postby snakeboy1 » January 26th, 2009, 7:32 pm

Midnight Pool was the first Wiiware game I bought. Like you I was really into Wii Play Billiards at the time and wanted more pool action. However, Midnight Pool ended up being a disappointment for me. The reason why? The control. It doesn't register soft shots well at all so it is almost impossible to put touch on your shots. I actually thought the game was broken because at first I couldn't get any shots to register. Then I realized I had to make a hard jabbing motion, and almost every shot was a hard shot. If a soft shot would register 10 percent of the time, I was lucky.

Overall, it just made me want to plays Billiards on Wii Play.

BanjoPickles1

Postby BanjoPickles1 » January 27th, 2009, 3:52 am

Actually, I LOVED Crossbow Training! In fact, I'm thinking about busting it out this weekend since I have never played it with the Perfect Shot. I've been meaning to try Wild West Guns, though. Anything to get me some more lightgun action. Fun times.

I bought Double Dash the day it came out. While it isn't my favorite Mario Kart(that honor still goes to the original, actually), it is probably second on my list. I love that Nintendo mixed things up for DD, which is why Mario Kart for the Wii somewhat disappointed me. It was a great game, but I wish they would have kept two drivers per kart, or given us an option. Overall, a great game!

I've also been meaning to try both Orbient and Cubello.

I think lately I've been looking for games that duplicate the feeling of going out and having fun. This winter has been particularly brutal, and I just found out that my job is a casualty of a bad economy(Feb. 23rd is probably my last day after four years on the job) so instead of going minigolfing, or bowling, or playing pool, I've been thinking about making my Wii my one-stop hobby for awhile.;-) In fact, I'll probably be collecting unemployment for awhile while I finish school so I'll have time on my hands, I suppose.

steer

Postby steer » January 27th, 2009, 8:42 am

Well, good luck with school and hopefully with a new job, you can feel things slowing down, that is for sure.

Anyhow, this is another pool game option I saw not long ago, here is from wiki :

Its $5

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pool_Revolution:_Cue_Sports

They include billiards, eight ball pool, nine ball pool, rotation and snooker.

The gameplay is much like Wii Play pool and Midnight Pool.

choose from many different table styles and the game includes online play where you can play against another player or try to clear the table the fastest in a split screen mode. The game also allows players to attempt different trick shots and also gives them the ability to create their own.

The Wii Remote will act as the cue and players will be able to use it to set the power and the direction buttons to set the direction of the shot. However, the game does come with the option for players to set the strength of the shot by simply pressing buttons on the controller

WiiWare World Review 

N64Dude1

Postby N64Dude1 » January 28th, 2009, 12:26 am

I liked Link's Crossbow Training too, I have no regrets to what I said about that Dr. Mario game it is good

Return to “Modern Gaming”