The bad economy killed the PS3

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » February 2nd, 2009, 9:07 am

Two things:

I'm not a fan of the 360, but let's face facts, the Japanese are clearly investing on this system, FF13 no longer being intended for the PS3 only being just one example. The First Xbox clearly failed in Japan, but the 360 indeed sold better than the PS3 last year (granted, for a short period of time).

In 2000, people could certainly tell the difference between DVD and VHS, come on, better sound, clear picture, durability... it was a BIG step up.

steer

Postby steer » February 2nd, 2009, 9:56 pm

I'm not a fan of the 360, but let's face facts, the Japanese are clearly investing on this system,

Not really - they have not even sold a million, it is consistently at the bottom there....

Stalin

Postby Stalin » February 3rd, 2009, 10:53 am

The Japanese are indeed investing on the Xbox 360 more than they had invested on the original Xbox (which was practically nothing).

But the Xbox 360 is clearly doing better in the US and other parts of the world than in Japan.

The Xbox 360 may have sold better than the PS3 for a short period of time in Japan because the PS3 was not very successful in the first place and because of Microsoft's huge marketing campaign for the Xbox 360 worldwide- even in Japan.

This is hardly anything out of the ordinary, as the Xbox 360 should still have done much better in Japan than it is currently doing now, and its sales in Japan are far below what Microsoft had expected back in 2005.

Microsoft thought they were going to go off with a bang with the release of the Xbox 360 in Japan, and that it would replace Sony and Nintendo as the dominant format in Japan in this generation's console wars.

This has not happened, and the 360 still remains third place in Japan.

Moreover, Final Fantasy is not restricted to gamers in Japan.

Final Fantasy 13 is anticipated by gamers worldwide, and the Japanese only represent about a third of these people (perhaps even less).

Thus it is perfectly reasonable why Square is planning to release FF13 on the Xbox 360: the 360 had been much more successful than the PS3 in terms of sales worldwide.

Since Japan only represents a fraction of the videogame market, Square is losing nothing in producing FF13 on the 360.

I also proclaim again that in 2000 most people could not tell the difference in video quality between DVD and VHS: it may have had a slightly clearer picture quality and perhaps it had better audio (I cannot tell a major difference in sound between VHS and DVD, however, so it was not a big step up), but the difference was still hard to tell.

The only revolutionary feature of DVD was the ability to select scenes and to view extras and useless commentary, and this was a secondary feature.

A movie still plays almost exactly the same on VHS and on DVD: it is only the lack of secondary features which is majorly dragging VHS down.

Thus I cannot agree that the upgrade from VHS to DVD was indeed such a big step up, and although I appreciate the inclusion of secondary featues on DVD I mostly want to watch the movie included when I buy a DVD rather than to fiddle with the extras on it.

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » February 3rd, 2009, 4:14 pm

A movie played on a VHS plays almost exactly the same on DVD? You lost me there...
As for the 360 in Japan, it's doing currently good, and will probably do even better in the near future. I just hope the PS3 will stay ahead.

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » February 3rd, 2009, 4:23 pm

[QUOTE=Stalin]I also proclaim again that in 2000 most people could not tell the difference in video quality between DVD and VHS: it may have had a slightly clearer picture quality and perhaps it had better audio (I cannot tell a major difference in sound between VHS and DVD, however, so it was not a big step up), but the difference was still hard to tell.

The only revolutionary feature of DVD was the ability to select scenes and to view extras and useless commentary, and this was a secondary feature.

A movie still plays almost exactly the same on VHS and on DVD: it is only the lack of secondary features which is majorly dragging VHS down.

Thus I cannot agree that the upgrade from VHS to DVD was indeed such a big step up, and although I appreciate the inclusion of secondary featues on DVD I mostly want to watch the movie included when I buy a DVD rather than to fiddle with the extras on it.[/QUOTE]

I have never seen anyone be so wrong about so many things and still be able to speak about them as if an authority on the subjects incorrectly reported on.

The moment I bought a DVD player and my first few DVDs, I noticed a MAJOR difference between VHS and those DVDs.  I had a top of the line VHS player, and a DVD player, and the DVD player looked much clearer and sounded much much better on my 55 inch televsion and surround sound player.  The television was just SDTV, and yet the DVD was able to make a much better picture.

Selectable options, extras, chapter divisions, etc. were just one of the benefits that came with DVD.  The biggest was visual clarity.

ajsmart1

Postby ajsmart1 » February 3rd, 2009, 6:34 pm

[QUOTE=m0zart]I have never seen anyone be so wrong about so many things and still be able to speak about them as if an authority on the subjects incorrectly reported on.
[/QUOTE]
I think it's one of the symptoms of verbal diarrhea.

[QUOTE=m0zart]
Selectable options, extras, chapter divisions, etc. were just one of the benefits that came with DVD.  The biggest was visual clarity.
[/QUOTE]
no rewinding too

Stalin

Postby Stalin » February 4th, 2009, 2:24 am

I have watched movies in both the VHS and DVD formats during my lifetime, and although I prefer the DVD, Lord of the Rings: Two Towers (which I had recorded long ago on my VHS) still looks fantastic to me and immerses me into the movie whenever I play it.

(granted, the last time I did so was in late 2007, which was before my uncle bought me a DVD player).

Thus if a movie played in VHS format can immerse me and present masses of orcish enemies on screen at once as well as high quality audio, then I am not sure how DVDs can be a major up-grade to the VHS.

I must admit that DVDs can present crystal clear graphics while VHS certainly cannot, and provide more immersive audio as well, but I still cannot agree that there is a major difference between the two formats.

Surely one can do without overly clear graphics and audio?

It is not as if they convey a major change to the effectiveness of the movie being played to those who watch it.

Moreover, I do not have a 55 inch television and a surround sound player to compare DVDs with VHS.

I am sure that if one used a normal flat-screen TV without an additional audio player, then the difference between the two formats would be majorly reduced.

And unlike most people, the most welcome feature of the DVD player for me was its ability to display sub-titles.

I did notice that the video quality was clearer, but it did not wow me or take me by surprise.

And for sound, I honestly could not tell much of a difference (perhaps because I was too busy reading the sub-titles?).

However, the sub-titles were a godsend for me as I simply could not watch either Matrix Reloaded or Matrix Revolutions without the sub-titles.

Other than this and the inclusion of secondary features, I must hold to my previous point that DVD was not a major step up from VHS.

And unless I am wrong, the VHS player in which I had owned could rewind, fast forward, play and stop a movie, as well as record one.

Moreover, if one is watching anime movies, then the difference in picture clarity between DVD and VHS is almost zero.

And since I like to watch anime movies and sometimes prefer them over normal movies, I may have been biased in what I had said.

Luke

Postby Luke » February 4th, 2009, 2:48 am

VHS are like audio cassette tapes - they lose quality every time the magnetic tape passes across the heads. Therefore, a VHS movie or audio cassette tape will never play as good as it did the very first time you play it. Your eyes and ears may not notice the difference, but I can guarantee you that there is indeed a loss, and that over time it will become more and more prominent.

I thought this was common sense. But I guess not

Stalin

Postby Stalin » February 4th, 2009, 8:36 am

On the question of durability, the DVD clearly wins over the VHS.

But in my initial posts, I was protesting that most people in 2000 would not be able to tell a difference in video quality between DVD and VHS.

That has nothing to do with the question of durability.

Moreover, the loss of quality in VHS is never as pronounced nor as alarming a problem in VHS.

Most VHS tapes can still last up to 5 years, and perhaps more.

Besides, people complain today that the PS1 overheats and that it is not very durable, and yet it won the console wars in its respective era.

So questioning the durability of the VHS does not take away its high quality, and in my opinion VHS tapes have still aged reasonably well.

I also do not care about the complex technical details involved with the VHS: all I care about is that it plays exceptionally well and that it continues to do so to almost every occasion in which I decide to play a VHS.

Luke

Postby Luke » February 4th, 2009, 1:46 pm

Your arguments are getting weak.

I'm going to start withdrawing my comments.

Return to “Modern Gaming”