4/22/2006: Atari 2600: Communist Mutants From Space, Sorcerer, Venture

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
Zenzerotron

Postby Zenzerotron » April 25th, 2006, 1:27 pm

I wouldn't say that either. I've found plenty of games over the past couple of years that are wonderfull and get a great deal of playtime, games that I never knew existed as a child. The games in my collection that don't get alot of playtime are games that I DID have as a child, and I've simply played them to death many years before. Berserk and Adventure are the two notable exceptions.

I've also bought alot of homebrews from Atariage, and many of them are excellent and they get tons of playtime. Climber 5, Hunchy 2, Strat-O-Gems Deluxe, Vault Assualt......you haven't lived untill you've played this stuff.

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » April 26th, 2006, 2:52 pm

Well, Zen, then I'm glad it's not just me and you do enjoy playing 2600 games (these make up the bulk of my collection- close to 400 carts! I just re-sorted them today and had to plug a few in for old times sake.)

Do you like 2600 FROGGER, MS.PAC-MAN, PITFALL 2, PHOENIX, CHOPPER COMMAND, DEMON ATTACK, STAMPEDE, SEAQUEST?

Those are just a few favorites. I love CLIMBER on the flashback.
Is CLIMBER 5 much different?
Did you get Activision Anthology for GBA?
Is this a long enough tangent here?

Ok, what's YOUR opinion on the mythicon games (Dave should try
the Mythicon STARFOX...no, guys, different STARFOX!- in the mythicon version you fly a white ship around shooting black circles, picking up white squares, shooting black circles- overnovernovernover.....GAH!)?

Zenzerotron

Postby Zenzerotron » April 26th, 2006, 4:29 pm

Yes, I own Starfox, and YES, it's a pile of crap.

Here is my list of games that I never had as a child, never knew existed as a child, that became a big sensation with me as an adult 2600 collector over the past couple of years.....So I guess it's unavoidable, this is a list of 2600 Zen recommendations......

2005 Multigame competition cart (atariage homebrew)
Climber 5 (atariage homebrew)
Circus Atari
Cross Force
Fast Food
Hunchy 2 (atariage homebrew)
Jr Pac-man
M.A.D
Millipede
No Escape
Solar Fox
Roc N Rope
Room Of Doom
Sky Skipper
Crackpots
Seaquest
Vault Assault (atariage homebrew)
Towering Inferno
Turmoil
Strat-O-Gems Deluxe (atariage homebrew)

I don't own the Flashback2, but Climber 5 is a game about baseball only it isn't a baseball game at all. I'm serious, no really. You're a ball-boy whom must climb a baseball park's rafters to get a homerun baseball. You clear a screen by picking up the lost baseball. You must avoid falling objects and moving pillars(have no clue what the pillars are supposed to be). What makes the game even more interesting is that it has 3 very distinctive gameplay modes with varying elements, it almost feels like 3 games in one.

Honestly, Climber 5 and Hunchy 2 are two homebrews that totally blow-away ANY single-screen plateforming game that was available on the 2600 when it was "alive". When you play these 2 games, you realize there really was zero-excuse for crap like Donkey Kong.

I own  many Atariage hombrews, and I feel that Climber 5 is my very favorite, despite very stiff competetion with Strat-O-Gems-Deluxe(the Columns clone that's BETTER then Columns!)

thrust261

Postby thrust261 » April 30th, 2006, 5:40 am

[QUOTE=Alienblue]Those are just a few favorites. I love CLIMBER on the flashback.
Is CLIMBER 5 much different?[/QUOTE]
Climber 5 is a much more polished version with gameplay enhancements and more options. You can download the ROM at AtariAge for testing in your favourite emulator.

Michael Danehy

Postby Michael Danehy » July 13th, 2006, 11:12 pm

So I downloaded Stella and have been playing various 2600 games. "Sorceror" and "Firefly" are boring/repetitive and ugly, not unplayable. There is _some_ shooting action, and one might be engaged enough to play for a high score for a few minutes before becoming too bored.

Compared with "Karate", the Mythicon games seem amazing. Much like being slapped in the face would feel good compared with being slammed in the kneecaps with a crowbar.

Return to “Review Feedback”