I would like some recommendations for my Atari 2600!

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Nicholas Pozega

Postby Nicholas Pozega » December 15th, 2008, 1:10 pm

Ive got the four switch on front model of the Atari VCS (AKA 2600) with a golden RF thingie for connection. (Courtesy of my local Radioshack and my helpful grandma-all of my other connectors were either for REALLY old TVs or were missing the switchbox)

No controllers-i traded them all in, even the wireless ones. I only use my Genesis controller, but i plan on tracking down a paddle controller once i get games like Kaboom! or Breakout.

Here is all of the games i currently possess for the system:
Pac-Man*
Combat*
Donkey Kong*
Demon Attack*
Space Invaders*
Missile Command**
Warlords**
Pitfall**
Asteroids**

*Got these with original boxes and manuals

**Got these last saturday, along with Jak & Daxter 1, Pac-Man World, Tomb Raider, Super Mario Advance 2: Super Mario World, Klonoa Empire of Dreams, and Croc: Legend of the Gobbos.

I also used to have Freeway, but i traded it in because i didn't care for it. (I may buy it back though because i never really played it) I also tried to get the official Parker Bros. version of Frogger for the 2600...and i accidently got the Atari 5200 version instead. How hard to find and expensive is the official Atari 2600 Parker Bros. port of Frogger?

Also, how do i get Space Invaders to work? The game boots up, and i can move but i can't shoot! What variation does the game need to be on? Also, colors on background of the game change color periodically, but i think this is because the cartridge is dirty. Pitfall also has this annoying buzzing sound going on when i play it, but i think i just need to clean the cartridge when i get back home today to get rid of that.

Soeaking of which, how do i get those stupid plastic things out of the inside of the cartridges? (Those things in the Atari carts that cover the connector) I want to remove them so that i can clean the cartridges that do have them.

Also, should i get E.T. and Defender the next time i go to my game store? Even if just for novelty and collectivity purposes? Theyre only 1$ per cart! And should i give Freeway another chance so i can figure out how to play it?

Thanks to anybody who replies. I'll appreciate any help i can get.

Zenzerotron

Postby Zenzerotron » December 15th, 2008, 1:28 pm

First of all, go to www.atariage.com. It's THE website you need for the 2600. You can look up any game for instructions and game variations.

Best cheap games.......

Adventure
Berzerk
 Missile Command
Yar's Revenge
Circus Atari(you need paddles for it)

the best 2600 homebrews that money can buy(found on Atariage store)

AvcsTec Challenge
Toyshop Trouble
Climber 5
Strat-O-Gems Deluxe
Wolfenstein VCS
LadyBug
Oystron

great games, moderatly priced

Commando Raid
Alien
Astroblast
Junior PacMan
Miss Pacman
Millipede
Kool Aid Man
Mr Do
No Escape
Solar Fox
Spiderman
Keystone Kapers
SeaQuest
Megamania
Frostbite
Pitfall
Dark Chambers
Turmoil

There's ALOT to get for the 2600, this is off the top of my head.

ajsmart1

Postby ajsmart1 » December 15th, 2008, 2:06 pm

I say definitely get the paddle controllers.  Best video game device ever created IMHO.

then get these games:

Circus Atari
Kaboom!
Warlords (the original party game)
Super Breakout

Game variation 7 ('Progressive' mode) on Super Breakout is just about the greatest thing Atari has ever created.

steer

Postby steer » December 15th, 2008, 2:47 pm

Star Trek is great.

Solaris

Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » December 15th, 2008, 2:57 pm

And definitly get Stampede, the greatest 2600 game ever.

N64Dude1

Postby N64Dude1 » February 9th, 2009, 7:54 pm

You haven't played an Atari if you haven't played Adventure

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 13th, 2009, 9:03 pm

Nick,
You need to clean those old carts.  Those black plastic parts in the carts are meant to protect the pins.  If you insert a small screwdriver into one of the slots you can slide the plastic back and reveal the pins.  Hold the plastic back and run alcohol-soaked Qtips along the pins until they are clean (no more dirt shows up on the Q-tip.  Yeah, you might find yourself going through 10 Q-tips per game if they're dirty.

When you're done let them sit for at least 30 min before sticking them back into the machines.

Return to “Classic Gaming”