Genesis/SMS systems questions

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Wonder Boy

Postby Wonder Boy » February 8th, 2009, 7:53 pm

I'm looking to get both a Genesis and SMS and I'm trying to figure out which ones to get.

1) Do any of the different system versions allow for AV hookup or do I need an RF Unit for all of them?

2) Is the original Genesis the only one that works with the master gear converter?

N64Dude1

Postby N64Dude1 » February 8th, 2009, 9:43 pm

I don't know to much about the connections,but only Genesis Model 1 supports the Converter.

Quetzalcoatlus

Postby Quetzalcoatlus » February 8th, 2009, 11:18 pm

[QUOTE=N64Dude]I don't know to much about the connections,but only Genesis Model 1 supports the Converter.

[/QUOTE]
Actually, the Power Base Converter also works with the CDX, though it looks pretty weird.

Gentlegamer1

Postby Gentlegamer1 » February 9th, 2009, 12:24 pm

[QUOTE=Wonder Boy]I'm looking to get both a Genesis and SMS and I'm trying to figure out which ones to get.

1) Do any of the different system versions allow for AV hookup or do I need an RF Unit for all of them?

2) Is the original Genesis the only one that works with the master gear converter?

[/QUOTE]1. Each version of the Genesis can use AV hook up (composite). The model 1 will only out put mono sound through the cable. It has stereo sound, but it's only available through the headphone jack. You could run a mixing cable to your stereo or TV from that jack if desired. The model 2 uses a different pin out for the AV connector than the model 1, but it is a full composite video with stereo plugs.

2. Both model 1 and model 2 are compatible with the Power Base Converter. To use with a model 2, you'll have to bust some extra plastic from the back of the PBC for it to fit.

Wonder Boy

Postby Wonder Boy » February 11th, 2009, 10:27 pm

Thanks guys. I think I may have used the wrong word though. I'm looking to hook up the genesis, and hopefully, the SMS up with the plugs that have the Red, Yellow, White plugs on both ends. Is that possible on any of the different models?

cory

Postby cory » February 13th, 2009, 12:17 am

ignore the last one, accidentally hit something...

The red, white and yellow cords are called composite cables, so that's what they are talking about. The Master System 1 can use the same composite cables a Genesis Model 1 uses, so you can hook both up with the same cord. I personally don't think I would be willing to tear plastic off my model 2 Genesis to put a converter on there, so if that's important I would say go with the model 1 Genesis. There is also a master-gear converter so you can play Master System games on Game Gear, if you have one. Hope that was helpful.

cory

Postby cory » February 13th, 2009, 12:20 am

...And I just re-read your last question. None of them has plugs on the console to let you use the generic cables like a DVD player (red, white, yellow on both ends). Sorry.

a_v

Postby a_v » February 21st, 2009, 11:55 pm

Mega Drive/Genesis 1/2: RF, Composite, RGB, mono/stereo (native.) S-Video (mod.)

Master System 1: RF, Composite, RGB, mono (native.) S-Video (mod.)
Master System 2: RF (native.) Composite, S-Video, RGB, mono (mod.)

Genesis 3 I'm clueless about what's native, but you can get all 4 video modes from it somehow.

Return to “Classic Gaming”