Little worried about House of the Dead

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
snakeboy1

Postby snakeboy1 » February 6th, 2009, 1:50 am

So IGN has reviewed House of the Dead Overkill for the Wii and has given it an 8.3, which is good, especially for a light gun game. However, I'm a little disappointed in one thing the review points out. Apparently, the game is four to five hours long.

I don't know about you, but I was looking for a classic arcade light gun shooter that could be finished in about an hour. You know, the kind of game that is tough as nails and makes you want to play it over and over and over again. From what I read, it seems like it may be the kind of game I will play once all the way through and never play again.

Now, I may very well be wrong, and the game may be so awesome that I will play through it many times. But I guess, really, I was wanting something along the lines of the previous House of the Dead games.

I was going to go out and immediately buy this game when it comes out next week, but I may wait for impressions from you guys first.

QF

Postby QF » February 6th, 2009, 6:48 pm

I'm glad its longer. I just hope it has better save points than Umbrella Chronicles. I have it preordered so we'll see.

Julio III

Postby Julio III » February 6th, 2009, 8:50 pm

I read Eurogamers review, which was glowing with praise. They reckoned on about 3, or maybe 3 and a half hours, broken down into 30minute "chapters" that are designed to be played in one sitting.  Apparantely after you beat the game once, there is a "director's cut" so you should at least play it twice. I'm glad its longer though because I don't really want to pay full price for a lightgun game. I waited till Ghost Squad was half price. And they made it longer but not full-game long which is good. I'm gonna get me the collector's edition with the comic and one of those handgun shells

snakeboy1

Postby snakeboy1 » February 9th, 2009, 5:09 pm

I guess I will probably still pick up House of the Dead Overkill when it comes out this week. I have about $100 in Best Buy gift cards that I got for my birthday burning a hole in my pocket.

We will see if this game is good enough for me to want to play it over and over again. One thing I like about House of the Dead 2 is that it has such an addictive quality. Yes, it's short, but it is the kind of game you want to play through numerous times. I just have this feeling in my gut Overkill won't be like that, but hopefully I'm wrong.

BanjoPickles1

Postby BanjoPickles1 » February 13th, 2009, 2:28 pm

Update: I picked the game up yesterday, took it over to a friend's house, and we both literally CRACKED out on it! It's easily one of the top five lightgun games I've ever played, partly because it is so well paced and it literally puts you in the middle of a Grade-Z horror film from the 70's. Great fun! In fact, I'm two levels away from being done. It took my friend and I three hours to finish five out of seven levels so 4-5 hours seems about dead-on.

Snake, the time literally FLIES! We only stopped because I had to get going to meet a friend for Friday the 13th last night. If not for that, we would have finished the game.

snakeboy1

Postby snakeboy1 » February 13th, 2009, 7:30 pm

I just picked up House of the Dead Overkill yesterday. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to play it much, but it does seem pretty fun. I do like how they divided the game up into episodes.

I'm not sure if this is realistic or not, but I'm trying to play through each episode without using the continues to try to add to the difficulty.

QF

Postby QF » February 13th, 2009, 10:51 pm

The fully power shotgun is pure zombiecide. Also picked up Bikini Zombie Slayers. Great undead Wii fun.

Return to “Modern Gaming”