PS3 is a sinking ship: Sales plummet

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
BanjoPickles1

Postby BanjoPickles1 » January 25th, 2009, 11:13 pm

He didn't say that's all Sony has, aj. He's right in that Grand Turismo is Sony's biggest success, sales-wise. However, I agree with you that anybody who thinks that Sony can be boiled down to merely a few franchises is just as ignorant as somebody who says that all Nintendo has are Mario, Metroid, and Zelda.

Frag, I highly doubt 75% of gamers have a negative viewpoint on the Wii. There are gamers, yes, that simply aren't that interested but 75% of ALL gamers? Give the Wii a bit more credit than that! I have alot of friends with varying tastes in games and, for the most part, they all enjoy the Wii to some degree. I wouldn't consider the system a failure, by any means. It fails at certain things the same way that MS and Sony fail at certain things. I didn't buy my Wii to play Call of Duty, the same way I didn't buy 360 to play Wii Sports or Boom Blox. It isn't JUST grannies that play the system, but that's the alleged reputation that many are getting duped into believing.

While the system has a few faults, like any other system, I would honestly classify it as a great system....for certain people(myself included in the "25%" ratio.).

I hope nothing I said offended you, Frag. I just had to respond to your claim.

Fragnox

Postby Fragnox » January 27th, 2009, 9:34 am

[QUOTE=BanjoPickles]Frag, I highly doubt 75% of gamers have a negative viewpoint on the Wii. There are gamers, yes, that simply aren't that interested but 75% of ALL gamers? Give the Wii a bit more credit than that! I have alot of friends with varying tastes in games and, for the most part, they all enjoy the Wii to some degree. I wouldn't consider the system a failure, by any means. It fails at certain things the same way that MS and Sony fail at certain things. I didn't buy my Wii to play Call of Duty, the same way I didn't buy 360 to play Wii Sports or Boom Blox. It isn't JUST grannies that play the system, but that's the alleged reputation that many are getting duped into believing.[/QUOTE]

Well, without talking to every gamer it's nearly impossible to say anything for sure.  But you're right, I was mainly exaggerating for effect.  However, I don't know all that many people that actually like the Wii.  Most of my friends don't have much respect for it, neither do I, and I know a fair amount of people on SmashBoards who aren't happy with it either.  I know a good number of people, including me, who were disappointed by Brawl and as a result (not ONLY because of Brawl) noticed how poor of a job Nintendo had been doing.  50% might be a more accurate guess, maybe smaller than that, but my point is its respect is quite contested.  Steer said that most people don't have a negative view of the Wii, and I happen to disagree with that because it makes it sound like there's a small portion of the population that doesn't like it (which can also lead to the conclusion that those of us who do are just nitpicky anti-Nintendo fanboys) and that is simply not true.

I don't think grannies are the only ones who play it, and if anyone's convincing me anything of the sort it's myself, not anyone else.  Regardless, it's not a false statement that the majority of Wii players are casual -- if only because of the fact that the majority of the population is casual, not hardcore.

[QUOTE=BanjoPickles]While the system has a few faults, like any other system, I would honestly classify it as a great system....for certain people(myself included in the "25%" ratio.).

I hope nothing I said offended you, Frag. I just had to respond to your claim.
[/QUOTE]

Meh, I've gotten minimal enjoyment out of it and it is my least favorite console that I own.  A decent console, yes...but I've gotten too little enjoyment out of it to be able to call it "great".  Successful, yes.  Innovative, yes.  But it feels like after motion sensor was achieved they felt like minimal expansion was necessary.  I enjoyed the Gamecube because the games felt innovative and fun.  Now it seems like the CONSOLE is innovative, the peripherals are innovative, and now the need for innovation has passed.  The few games I would declare "good" on the Wii are innovative, but a lot of them lack that and are simply rehashes with motion sensor.  Even Wii Sports, for all its praise and claims of innovation, is five dumbed-down sports games fit into one with motion sensor, cartoony graphics, and some training levels.  It's fun, but hardly revolutionary.

You haven't offended me.  You were right to call me out on the statistic, as really any statistic should be called out.  Most of them are made up.

Luke

Postby Luke » February 20th, 2009, 5:27 am

With the release of Street Fighter IV, I've currently changed my mind about possibly skipping this generation of gaming and am thinking about buying a PS3.

Why the PS3 instead of the 360? Well, because of its massive failure rate for one. But also because I recently found out that the 360's also have a problem with scratching up the game discs. And since I can be kinda meticulous about taking care of all my video game systems and games, I think I'd rather spring for the PS3 because it does seem like a higher quality machine than the 360. Plus, it doubles as a Blu-ray player!

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » February 20th, 2009, 2:09 pm

[QUOTE=Luke] But also because I recently found out that the 360's also have a problem with scratching up the game discs. [/QUOTE]

Hmm, not sure where you heard that but it's certainly not been my case.  Nor for that matter any of the consoles I've played nor my friends.  I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but at least not in my experience or those that I know that have one.

Luke

Postby Luke » February 20th, 2009, 4:29 pm

There's videos all over YouTube.

It seems that the disc scratching mostly happens when the machine is moved while running. But there is also word that some discs get scratched even when it's not being touched or maneuvered.

a1

Postby a1 » February 20th, 2009, 6:48 pm

[QUOTE=Luke]There's videos all over YouTube.

It seems that the disc scratching mostly happens when the machine is moved while running. But there is also word that some discs get scratched even when it's not being touched or maneuvered.[/QUOTE]

Well the manual says not to move the system while it's running (and it seems like common sense to me) so if people are scratching their disks in that way it's their own fault.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 20th, 2009, 8:02 pm

I heard that if you drop the 360 off a building while it's running, the disk inside will be scratched!  Yet another little detail Microsoft doesn't want you to know!

N64Dude1

Postby N64Dude1 » February 20th, 2009, 8:39 pm

Where as if dropped GameCube off a building it wouldn't even get a denk let alone get to the disk

Roperious1

Postby Roperious1 » February 20th, 2009, 9:48 pm

I work in the games department of a consumer electronics store, the number of "scratched disks" reported by the xbox 360 is staggering! We're a small store and we have multiple complaints a week!

Luke

Postby Luke » February 20th, 2009, 11:42 pm

[/QUOTE] Well the manual says not to move the system while it's running (and it seems like common sense to me) so if people are scratching their disks in that way it's their own fault. [/QUOTE]Right. But accidents happen. And neither the PS2 or PS3 wrecks the games discs when moving the system. It's been tested.

Return to “Modern Gaming”