What are your Top Ten SNES games, Critic?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Megavolt

Postby Megavolt » February 21st, 2009, 7:46 pm

DKC's level design is pretty basic.  It's a fun and memorable game, but it's not an A+.  DKC2, which vastly improves upon the level design, is.  Some people suggest that they're the same, but when you play them back to back, there's a considerable difference.  DKC seems...rudimentary by comparison.

But yeah, Super Metroid is an A+ title all the way.  VGC said he couldn't find a flaw despite giving it an A, so it isn't really known as to why he wasn't "feeling it" enough to give it an A+.

steer

Postby steer » February 23rd, 2009, 6:27 pm

The first three dungeons (four if you count the castle), i.e. the light world dungeons, were easy and short.  They are meant to be a sampling of the eight or nine dungeons in the dark world.

This is true, I have been replaying this game on VC recently and was surprised by how short they were - been a long  time. Also, the world map feels so small, interesting how things change over time....

And I can make an argument for knocking it down a peg or two or three off of the A+ grade.....

MASSIVE SLOWDOWN!!!!

All over the game, you really NEVER escape it. Esepcially bad is the boss of the 3rd dungeon in the light world - butterfly shooting beams of whatever, shifty sand floor, and spkie things shooting out for the walls, ther are times the game is about collapses....it is really something in retrospect....

More and more I play them, the more overrated the SNES games seems to me...I feel Zelda I and Zleda II are far superior to this game. Not that it is bad, but it is certainly no king. (Have to give props to the SNES music though)

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » February 23rd, 2009, 7:58 pm

[QUOTE=steer]And I can make an argument for knocking it down a peg or two or three off of the A+ grade.....

MASSIVE SLOWDOWN!!!!

All over the game, you really NEVER escape it. Esepcially bad is the boss of the 3rd dungeon in the light world - butterfly shooting beams of whatever, shifty sand floor, and spkie things shooting out for the walls, ther are times the game is about collapses....it is really something in retrospect....

More and more I play them, the more overrated the SNES games seems to me...I feel Zelda I and Zleda II are far superior to this game. Not that it is bad, but it is certainly no king. (Have to give props to the SNES music though)
[/QUOTE]

Hmmm I've never experienced any kind of slowdown in A Link to the Past -- not even once in the hundreds of times I've played it.

Yet I've experienced it countless times on the original Legend of Zelda -- especially on those screens with an inordinate number of enemies.

steer

Postby steer » February 23rd, 2009, 10:16 pm

Srioulsy, is it the VC game emulation then?

That 3rd boss is ridiculous for slowdown, no way you would have not noticed it. Anyone else experience this, either way?

And yes, in the dungeons thaty have a ton of darknuts, you get slowdown in the origional - but not near what I have beeen experiencing in Zelda LTTP....

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » February 23rd, 2009, 10:21 pm

[QUOTE=steer]Srioulsy, is it the VC game emulation then?

That 3rd boss is ridiculous for slowdown, no way you would have not noticed it. Anyone else experience this, either way?

And yes, in the dungeons thaty have a ton of darknuts, you get slowdown in the origional - but not near what I have beeen experiencing in Zelda LTTP....
[/QUOTE]

Nope... I played it on VC emulation too.  In fact, that is now my preferred way to play, as it doesn't require me to take my precious carts from their precious boxes.

I might have been having so much fun that I never noticed the slow down.  I play it again every now and then (as I do most Zelda games), so I'll have to pay attention and see if I see what you are seeing.

steer

Postby steer » February 23rd, 2009, 11:53 pm

Well, whatever the case, it is definitly there in the version I am playing, -  this is kind of ridiculous after awhile, doesn't it? Cartridge, cpu emulation, VC emulation, someone should chime in with the GBA cart!

For example I am now in the ice dungeon, I think it is #5 or #6, and I fall in that room with the sword skelton guys, hit one, bomb him, and while I am waiting for the bomb to go off I start picking up skulls for hearts, and bam - slowdown, just for a moment....

Dont get me wrong, it does not ruin the game, but I find it funny, the murphys law of gaming, alway push your games 10% past what would run smoothly.... 

Kind of like why I like newer 2-d games on 3-d systems, Paper Mario 1000 year door, Zelda 4 swords GC, Geometry Wars.....no slowdown, awesome effects!

Return to “Classic Gaming”