Neo Geo CD

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
JNH

Neo Geo CD

Postby JNH » February 21st, 2009, 4:45 am

I love this damn thing so much! Second only to the Genesis in my mind! I love SNK fighting and shooting games (Pulstar is simply amazing!). It's great to have a Genesis and Neo CD.

I sold my Neo CD last year (very stupidly) and I made a HUGE commission at work the other day and decided I'd re-buy the Neo CD and some expensive games for it and I do not regret it.

Especially considering that just about every game (complete) was cheaper than the several Dreamcast shooters (Except Pulstar) on my list. Crazy how that goes. Why is Last Blade 1 on the Neo CD $17.99 while Last Blade 2 on the Dreamcast goes in the $50 range? Does that make sense? No.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Neo Geo CD

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 21st, 2009, 10:06 am

The one thing that kills the Neo Geo CD is the load times.  Not a big deal in shooters where it loads between stages, but the loading between matches in fighting games is pretty unbearable.  I suspect that's why the DC version is more highly sought after.

JNH

Neo Geo CD

Postby JNH » February 21st, 2009, 2:25 pm

I have to say though, that the controller (not the big AES arcade sticks) for the Neo CD is MUCH better for fighting games than that dinky D pad that cuts up my thumb on the DC.

I have to agree with you though, the load times can be bad. I still love it.

Danthor

Neo Geo CD

Postby Danthor » February 21st, 2009, 9:26 pm

Wow, someone else who actually plays this system! I've got one, and It's one of my favorite consoles I own, hands down.

I like the pads too! But I have to admit. As soon as I plugged in an AES stick, it was love, and I could never go back.

And if you want nonsense, compare a Last Blade game's price on NeoCD, and compare it to its AES counterpart. Especially Last Blade 2. Now -that's- madness.

JNH

Neo Geo CD

Postby JNH » February 22nd, 2009, 12:49 am

I'm in love with the fact that SNK was releasing Neo Geo CD games longer than Sega was releasing Saturn games and that the AES system outlasted EVERY one of its competitors.

Pretty awesome that the last home AES game came out in 2004!

Danthor

Neo Geo CD

Postby Danthor » March 3rd, 2009, 9:32 pm

You know, I never thought of it that way. I keep forgetting how long those lifespans are when I look at the respective systems last batch of titles. It's REALLY impressive when you consider what kind of a niche audience they catered to. I wish the NeoGeo pocket colour could have said the same. It's really as shame that system died so quickly. I love it so very much. I'm actually planning on modding mine sometime to have be frontlit, like the GBA SP. It's the only thing wrong with it, and the sole reason I don't play it more than I still do.

Return to “Classic Gaming”