Atari Art

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Atari Art

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 2nd, 2009, 10:46 am

One of the things that distinguished the Atari 2600 was its elaborate artwork on the game boxes, manuals, and cartridges.  Who could forget the lush illustrations on the front of Asteroids, Berzerk, Defender, Yars' Revenge, and Phoenix.  Heck, even the artwork on games like Circus Atari, Bowling, and Blackjack was good enough to get you psyched.  In addition, there were also some excellent drawings inside the manuals themselves.  I miss those days!  What old Atari box covers are your favorites?

Can you imagine how cool it must have been to have a job at Atari drawing pictures for games all day?  If anybody out there used to do that, we've love to hear your story.

ajsmart1

Atari Art

Postby ajsmart1 » March 2nd, 2009, 11:36 am

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]
Can you imagine how cool it must have been to have a job at Atari drawing pictures for games all day?  If anybody out there used to do that, we've love to hear your story.
[/QUOTE]

heh.  I can just imagine the artist getting the job for Super Breakout. "We've got this game where your charater is a rectangle and you hit a square at long bars at the top of the screen.   Run with it!! oh and uh... take these pills, they might help."

N64Dude1

Atari Art

Postby N64Dude1 » March 2nd, 2009, 7:34 pm

To be honest I preferred the cartridge work because the boxes easily fade and look albeit distorted and the boxes get ripped,cartridge artwork looks good forever it seems.

twel

Atari Art

Postby twel » March 5th, 2009, 2:48 pm

The Atari Art was really superb. I store all my loose carts in a box - and when I open the lid, the artwork immediatly transferres me to "atariage". I think my favorite is the one on the indy500 cart.

Thebawwradar

Atari Art

Postby Thebawwradar » March 5th, 2009, 7:01 pm

This is an interesting topic, cause I am addicted to my 2600.

Yes, there is ALOT of nice artwork on the labels, some of my favorite was the late 80's labels, because they have a more clean look and easier to find in prestine condition.

Return to “Classic Gaming”