A Boy and His Blob

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
ActRaiser1

A Boy and His Blob

Postby ActRaiser1 » March 4th, 2009, 1:38 pm

Anyone remember this one from the NES days?

It looks like they're remaking it for the Wii.

http://kotaku.com/5164152/a-boy-and-his-blob-and-their-screenshots

What I find most interesting was it was originally created by David Crane of Pitfall creation and published by Activation.  The re-make/re-imagining of the game will be published by Majesco by Contra 4 developer WayForward.

I remember the original's controls being wonky but it had some fun puzzles to it.

BanjoPickles1

A Boy and His Blob

Postby BanjoPickles1 » March 4th, 2009, 7:10 pm

Well, they have the right developer for the job! They did such an amazing job at capturing the spirit of Contra 4! Maybe they'll be able to revive this awesome, underrated series. Color me curious.

snakeboy1

A Boy and His Blob

Postby snakeboy1 » March 4th, 2009, 7:24 pm

I've always had a soft spot in my heart for A Boy and His Blob. Sure it wasn't a perfect game. It involved a lot of trial-and-error gameplay and was very unforgiving. However, it's originality and charm made it hard not to like, and I still have fun playing it every once in a while. It will be interesting to see if they can improve on the flaws of the NES game while still staying true to the spirit of the original.

JustLikeHeaven1

A Boy and His Blob

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » March 4th, 2009, 10:25 pm

That looks awesome.  I love the art style and the fact that its 2D.  I was a big fan of the cult classic on the NES and I always wanted to see this series continue.

This looks pretty far along which is good.  They announced a DS version a couple years ago that must have hit some snags and it never got released.  Glad to see that a Wii version looks good to go.

snakeboy1

A Boy and His Blob

Postby snakeboy1 » March 4th, 2009, 10:41 pm

[QUOTE=JustLikeHeaven]I love the art style and the fact that its 2D.[/QUOTE]

I definitely agree with that. I could easily have seen them making it a 3D game and completely botching it. Just the fact that it's 2D increases my interest tenfold.

BanjoPickles1

A Boy and His Blob

Postby BanjoPickles1 » March 4th, 2009, 10:55 pm

Wow! I'm not sure if you guys have seen it yet or not, but they actually have a video of it up on youtube! It looks....really....good! I'm glad they took the style they did with this one! It looks like a beefed-up snes game, which is fine by me! My son said it looks like a moving p

nesfan1

A Boy and His Blob

Postby nesfan1 » March 4th, 2009, 11:18 pm

I never played the original but maybe I should track down a copy. I've heard good things about that game.

ActRaiser1

A Boy and His Blob

Postby ActRaiser1 » March 5th, 2009, 11:06 am

Here's a link to a few videos. 

http://kotaku.com/5164608/a-boy-and-his-blob-looks-swell-in-motion-too

I really like how it's totally like the original, minus the one screen at a time crap.  It looks like there's going to be lots of trial and error which I really dug at the time. 

Hmm, you know in some ways a Boy and His Blob reminds me of Out of this World.  Lots of trial and error, single screens.  Okay, I'm off tangent here.  Looks pretty cool though.

JustLikeHeaven1

A Boy and His Blob

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » March 6th, 2009, 12:13 am

[QUOTE=ActRaiser]Here's a link to a few videos. 

http://kotaku.com/5164608/a-boy-and-his-blob-looks-swell-in-motion-too

I really like how it's totally like the original, minus the one screen at a time crap.  It looks like there's going to be lots of trial and error which I really dug at the time. 

Hmm, you know in some ways a Boy and His Blob reminds me of Out of this World.  Lots of trial and error, single screens.  Okay, I'm off tangent here.  Looks pretty cool though.

[/QUOTE]

Wow that looks even better in motion!  I was seriously just smiling the entire time watching that video.  I can't stress how gorgeous the art style is.  I would take stuff like that over any uber-realistic 3D game found on the 360 or PS3.  Then again, I'm a huge fan of the 8 bit and 16 bit era...I have a soft spot for sweet looking 2D games.

QF

A Boy and His Blob

Postby QF » March 6th, 2009, 12:17 am

Is this a Wiiware or a retail release game? This looks great, they even have the old music. I'm glad you don't have to memorize what the freaking jellybeans do this time.

Return to “Modern Gaming”