Publishers Push For PS3 Price Cut

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Luke

Postby Luke » March 17th, 2009, 12:41 pm

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6206174.html?tag=latestheadlines;title;4

Well, here we go. Software publishers are now speaking out against the PS3 console and noting how much less they are making in PS3 sales compared to that of other gaming consoles, most notably the Wii. These same publishers then go on to say that they plan, or have already begun, to focus more on the other consoles compared to that of the PS3.

A lot of people, including myself, want to see a price drop. But will it actually happen? In the article, SCEA senior VP of marketing Peter Dille claims that they currently have no plans to alter their pricing, and even took what I believe to almost be a cheap shot at these same publishers by saying, "Everybody in the development community would love for the PS3 to be free, so they could just sell razor blades." What razor blades have to do with video games I haven't a clue, but if Sony doesn't start to finally take the hint here.. they may be preparing to cut their own wrists!

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » March 17th, 2009, 3:08 pm

I really hope this is just Sony's PR people saying they aren't go to cut the price...even though its planned.  A tactic that is used to keep people buying at the current price.

It's become painfully obvious that the PS3 needs a pricecut to remain relevant in this economy.  Its a great system...but you mean to tell me they can't get a system on the market with less features for $299 or less?!

Return to “Modern Gaming”