VGA output for PS2, Saturn?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 29th, 2009, 6:32 pm

I use a VGA box to output my Dreamcast to my plasma TV, and it works great.  The picture is super sharp, and there's no control lag.

Question: do other consoles like the PS2, Nintendo 64, or Saturn has VGA output capabilities?

J Dubs

Postby J Dubs » March 30th, 2009, 8:20 am

I'm not sure about VGA. However, I recently picked up some component cables for my PS2, and it makes a world of difference on an HDTV, especially with games that support progressive scan. I'm not sure what your setup is, but they may even cut back on some of that lag you experience with your PS2.

ajsmart1

Postby ajsmart1 » March 30th, 2009, 2:49 pm

Sony actually used to sell a PS2 Linux kit that included a VGA cable.  It only supported RGB monitors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ps2_linux

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 30th, 2009, 6:02 pm

[QUOTE=J Dubs]I'm not sure about VGA. However, I recently picked up some component cables for my PS2, and it makes a world of difference on an HDTV, especially with games that support progressive scan. I'm not sure what your setup is, but they may even cut back on some of that lag you experience with your PS2.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, my PS2 is also hooked up with component cables, and for games that support progressive scan, there's no problem at all.

Unfortunately, only a small percentage of PS2 games happen to support progressive scan!

KanYozakura

Postby KanYozakura » April 1st, 2009, 10:41 pm

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]Unfortunately, only a small percentage of PS2 games happen to support progressive scan!
[/QUOTE]

...which is exactly why you're not going to be able to do it unless you get a deinterlacer, which can get very, very spendy.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 2nd, 2009, 7:19 am

I've never heard of a deinterlacer.  Where can I get one?

ajsmart1

Postby ajsmart1 » April 2nd, 2009, 8:23 am

Critic,  I don't know what version of the PS3 you have, so this may not apply... I'd be curious to know if PS2 games played on a PS3 with upscaling turned on have the lag.

KanYozakura

Postby KanYozakura » April 4th, 2009, 12:14 pm

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]I've never heard of a deinterlacer.  Where can I get one?
[/QUOTE]

My bad, I got my terms mixed up.  I meant an upscan converter.

This one is the one you'd want, but it's incredibly expensive and out of production.

KanYozakura

Postby KanYozakura » April 4th, 2009, 12:27 pm

Sorry for the double post Critic, but here's exactly what you're looking for at a nice price:

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-86-49-en-70-5w4.html

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 4th, 2009, 4:56 pm

[QUOTE=KanYozakura]Sorry for the double post Critic, but here's exactly what you're looking for at a nice price:

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-86-49-en-70-5w4.html

[/QUOTE]

I am intrigued!  Thanks for this link!  I might just give it a try!

Return to “Classic Gaming”