Dreamcast and the PS/DS generation

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Colecoboy84

Postby Colecoboy84 » April 18th, 2009, 1:09 am

OK, if you're sick of reading about the Dreamcast you can probably just skip this one - but then again you may want to read on, since I'm not going to bother you with my personal opinion of the system.

And to be honest, I haven't had this thing for long - bought it for Christmas, along with some peripherals (steering wheel, keyboard, maracas) and 30-some games. And it's my first "modern" system (you can laugh if you want) - up til then I was strictly an old school gamer.

I got the DC for my son, but not because he didn't enjoy my old school games - we spent many happy hours playing Colecovision, Intelli and 2600/7800, and still do. But apparently that's unusual for his generation, because whenever one of his friends would come over and he'd plug in the old games, their reaction would range somewhere between mild amusement and "what the hell is this?"

So I decided to get a newer system, but there was no way I was going to spend $200 to $400 on a Wii/PS3/Xbox and saddle myself with the duty of building a game collection at $40 or so a pop. So after doing some research, including the Video game Critic's enthusiastic recommendations, I settled on the Dreamcast.

The system has been a hit with everyone here - even the wife enjoys some of the games (mainly watching, but we did get her to play Samba de Amigo). But the DC got its ultimate test a week ago, when my son had his 11th birthday party. He had five kids come to his sleepover, all of them boys who own PS3s, Nintendos, DS's, and guess what - they went crazy over the Dreamcast. In fact, some of them didn't want to do anything but play the DC, and one of them declared that this is now his favorite system.

And you know what else? One of the most popular games was Streets of Rage 2. Which is part of the Sega Smash Pack. Which means it's really a 17-year-old Genesis game. But these kids couldn't get enough of it.

Now I'm not trying to be one of those coots who says everything old is better than anything that exists right now or that may be invented in the future. I don't doubt that there are some incredible games on the Xbox et al, and maybe I'll even experience them myself when Microsoft/Sony throw in the towel and this stuff can be bought for dimes on the dollar. I'm just pointing out, based on the enthusiastic reception to the Dreamcast, that this platform seems very much viable 10 years after its launch, contrary to what 128 bit snobs might say.       

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » April 19th, 2009, 9:15 pm

[QUOTE=Colecoboy84]I'm just pointing out, based on the enthusiastic reception to the Dreamcast, that this platform seems very much viable 10 years after its launch, contrary to what 128 bit snobs might say.       
[/QUOTE]

The DC is 128-bit.  So, the snobs were right the DC rocks.  Definitely, it's my favorite system.   Cool post.

N64Dude1

Postby N64Dude1 » April 21st, 2009, 9:23 pm

This is my 2nd favorite system and ironically enough Samba de Amigo is actually my favorite game for the system

It really is viable after 10 years,the games are usually one-of-a-kind. {Was there a game like Jet Set Radio,Crazy Taxi,or Seaman before 1999?}

That was a nice post you put there.

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » April 22nd, 2009, 12:48 pm

[QUOTE=N64Dude]This is my 2nd favorite system and ironically enough Samba de Amigo is actually my favorite game for the system

[/QUOTE]

I'm not seeing the irony.

N64Dude1

Postby N64Dude1 » April 22nd, 2009, 2:16 pm

Why the hell did I add that? [slaps head]

Return to “Classic Gaming”