Why Won't Sega CD Play Games?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
Frustrated

Postby Frustrated » May 27th, 2009, 12:23 pm

On my Model 1 Sega CD, it starts up with that funky logo music thing, and then it takes me to some CD player menu thing.  It absolutely will not play games.  There is 125 blocks of memory space.  I have a memory cartridge and the machine says there is no memory cartridge.  How the hell am I supposed to play a game with this thing?

I am going to scream.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 27th, 2009, 1:17 pm

Did it ever work before, or is this something you just picked up on Ebay?

Frustrated

Postby Frustrated » May 27th, 2009, 1:21 pm

I bought it on eBay a while ago - you might remember my previous thread about it.

Today, my memory cartridge arrived - I bought it in the hopes that it would finally allow games to be played.

Cafeman1

Postby Cafeman1 » May 27th, 2009, 1:35 pm

If it gets you to the CD control panel, you'd think it should boot up the game.  Press directions and get the cursor on , I think its called "Application" ? Then press the A (or B or C?) button. Does that work?

Frustrated

Postby Frustrated » May 27th, 2009, 2:52 pm

There is no directions button, nor is there an application button.

When I turn it on, I see the logo screen.  Then it takes me to the CD menu.  Going to options just tells me how much memory I have (and how the system thinks I don't have a RAM cart, even though I do).  Then, it takes me to a screen that doesn't allow me to copy data from the cartridge, since I apparently have none.

It makes no sense.

Cafeman1

Postby Cafeman1 » May 28th, 2009, 12:43 am

I just turned mine on without a disc in there, and with a disc, to refresh my memory.

If you get a control panel with only OPTIONS, then it thinks there is no disc in there. Normally, when you insert a game disc, if you press A it'll go to this control panel but you'll also see PROGRAM and CD_ROM options - you point the little hand at CD-ROM to boot up.

IF you are only seeing OPTIONS, your SEGA CD isn't reading the game discs. Which is what you have been describing all along.  What to do?  Well possible problems could be the laser needs cleaned , or I've also heard that a fuse can be blown. But It sounds like the laser is dirty, or also possibly the disc door is now misaligned from abuse.

I suppose you could have a bad game disc , or one from a different region too and it can't read it. Are you playing North American games on a North American Sega cD for example? (it'd be called Mega CD if its Euro/Japanese). 

Frustrated

Postby Frustrated » May 28th, 2009, 10:06 am

Please help.

Frustrated

Postby Frustrated » May 28th, 2009, 1:52 pm

I'm playing North American games on a North American Sega CD.

The last thing I need is a broken machine.

Cafeman1

Postby Cafeman1 » May 28th, 2009, 2:56 pm

It doesn't sound good, but a first step is to clean the lens carefully and also you could clean the contacts where the Genesis hooks into the Sega CD. does it play audio cD's?

I'd suggest you go further than this forum - try Digital Press's retrogaming roundtable forums and atariage's forums -- each has a classic gaming forum which would apply here. 

ManKind

Postby ManKind » May 28th, 2009, 4:53 pm

ive heard that early Model 2 Sega CD can Have difficulty of reading CD for a long period of time and also refuse the catdrige memory

Return to “Classic Gaming”