Good Sega CD Games?

Reserved for classic gaming discussions.
riftt

Good Sega CD Games?

Postby riftt » May 19th, 2009, 5:29 pm

I've got about 20 and I'm still searching for one that will actually make me want to come home and play it.  The only one that comes close is Eternal Champions: Challenge from the Darkside.  HELP!

Hopper1

Good Sega CD Games?

Postby Hopper1 » May 19th, 2009, 6:17 pm

"Snatcher" is probably the best Sega CD game. Even better if you have the Konami Justifier lightgun.

"Robo Aleste" is a good overhead shooter.

"Lunar: The Silver Star," "Lunar 2: Eternal Blue," "Vay" and "Popful Mail" are all good old-school RPGs from Working Designs.

I rate "Sonic CD" as my third-favorite Sonic title behind the first two Genesis games, "Sonic the Hedgehog" and "Sonic the Hedgehog 2."

Oltobaz1

Good Sega CD Games?

Postby Oltobaz1 » May 25th, 2009, 7:14 am

Shining Force CD, as a compilation of the Game Gears episodes with Genesis quality is a true gem. On top of that, you're treated to an extra storyline bringing a conclusion to these original episodes, and it's great feeling when all of a sudden all these characters interconnect.

Final Fight CD might very well be the best Final Fight version there is. Yes, it doesn't have as many colors as the SNES or GBA versions, but I still like it better than the arcade, if only for its musics...awesome. And the versus option, while a gimmick, is actually really enjoyable.

Sonic CD is good fun, it might have its faults, but I like how they re-used the original Sonic sprite, seen in Sonic 1 & 2 on the Genesis.

The Amazing Spiderman was probably the best Spidey game, and then came along the Playstation/Dreamcast version. It's still awesome.

Some have mentioned Lunar, I never tried the Mega CD version, but I really enjoyed the Playstation port, which featured slightly improved graphics and much better cinematics. Lunar-the Silver Star Story, is perfect for any old school RPG enthusiast.

N64Dude1

Good Sega CD Games?

Postby N64Dude1 » May 25th, 2009, 6:44 pm

Sonic CD by far the best Sonic game in the world and best 2D platformer ever [with sincere apologies to the 8-bit Mario series,3D Mario is much more fun anyway]

Lunar: The Silver Star [One of my top 5 games on the CD]

Hopper1

Good Sega CD Games?

Postby Hopper1 » May 27th, 2009, 1:30 pm

[QUOTE=Oltobaz]Final Fight CD might very well be the best Final Fight version there is. Yes, it doesn't have as many colors as the SNES or GBA versions, but I still like it better than the arcade, if only for its musics...awesome. And the versus option, while a gimmick, is actually really enjoyable.

The Amazing Spiderman was probably the best Spidey game, and then came along the Playstation/Dreamcast version. It's still awesome.[/QUOTE]

Totally forgot about Final Fight CD. I have that one as well, and yeah, it's probably the best console port of Final Fight out there. Great sound and music, and the added time attack mode is surprisingly fun.

The Spider-Man game you're talking about was actually called The Amazing Spider-Man vs. Kingpin, and yeah, it's a good game. Not great, but a pretty good Spider-Man title.

BanjoPickles1

Good Sega CD Games?

Postby BanjoPickles1 » May 27th, 2009, 4:58 pm

Secret of Monkey Island
The Adventures of Willy Beamish
Sonic CD

Those are my personal three faves for the system.

Roperious1

Good Sega CD Games?

Postby Roperious1 » May 27th, 2009, 9:06 pm

Secret of Monkey Island- GREAT call.

ManKind

Good Sega CD Games?

Postby ManKind » May 28th, 2009, 12:07 am

Mortal kombat for the sega CD is an undefeated sega CD game, its the best game you can have on this system with that awsome arcade music

JasonhasRSI1

Good Sega CD Games?

Postby JasonhasRSI1 » May 28th, 2009, 11:13 am

What, no FMV games yet?

Sentimental favorites:

Ground Zero Texas
Sewer Shark
Double Switch
Tomcat Alley

Other good games (aside from those mentioned already in the thread):

Silpheed
NHL '94 (might quietly be the best version of the game)
Jurassic Park
Mansion of Hidden Souls
AH-3 Thunderstrike

Pauly

Good Sega CD Games?

Postby Pauly » May 28th, 2009, 8:41 pm

Anything by core design is good> ah-3 thunderstrike, soulstar, battle corps. Wonderdog is a decent platformer and jaguar xj220 is a good racer.FMV games are good for nostalgic reasons...try cadillacs and dinasours.

Return to “Classic Gaming”