PS3 Controller - no force feedback

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 9th, 2006, 4:09 pm

In order to accomodate the new motion features, I read the PS3 controllers will NOT have force feedback.  Does anybody care about this?  I remember it was a cool feature in the late 90's, but few people seem to even notice it now.

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » May 9th, 2006, 4:16 pm

I still use force feedback.  I like it.  Wouldn't consider it a flaw though.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » May 9th, 2006, 4:38 pm

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]In order to accomodate the new motion features, I read the PS3 controllers will NOT have force feedback.  Does anybody care about this?  I remember it was a cool feature in the late 90's, but few people seem to even notice it now.
[/QUOTE]
Well, in a game using motion I think it could be important.  Bluemonkey has pointed out before that a sword fighting game would need resistance to really feel real.  The Wiimot won't offer resistance, but at least you'll have feedback indicating when a strike lands.  As well, in the Wii tennis, baseball, and fishing games, I imagine the feedback will really add to the feeling of actually doing these things.  Feedback isn't necessary, but for these types of games, I thnk it'll be hugh.
Still, I imagine these types of games won't really be Sony's main bread and butter, so they can do without. 

Gentlegamer1

Postby Gentlegamer1 » May 9th, 2006, 4:41 pm

I've just recently started playing PS2 games, and I disable the "rumble" feature on every game. I never liked it, and won't miss it on PS3 games.

Mappy Mouse PD

Postby Mappy Mouse PD » May 10th, 2006, 12:43 pm

In order to accomodate the new motion features, I read the PS3 controllers will NOT have force feedback.

Rumble is different than force feedback.  And the Nintendo Wii has rumble and more complex motion features. 

Although they've denied it, the most likely reason is the recent litigation against them for stealing the technology. 

sega saturn x

Postby sega saturn x » May 10th, 2006, 3:15 pm

That's pretty lame I liked force feedback, but If I got use to the wave bird not having it I guess I could get use to the ps2 not having it.

chrisbid1

Postby chrisbid1 » May 10th, 2006, 10:36 pm

for 599, the PS3 should have rumble, blu-ray, a dishwasher, 8-track, and a car wash/wax along with a years supply of rice a roni

sega saturn x

Postby sega saturn x » May 13th, 2006, 11:51 pm

[QUOTE=chrisbid]for 599, the PS3 should have rumble, blu-ray, a dishwasher, 8-track, and a car wash/wax along with a years supply of rice a roni[/QUOTE]

Ha, that's classic.

Right now I'm playing god of war, and honestly I can't imagine playing without rumble. 

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » May 14th, 2006, 10:04 am

[QUOTE=sega saturn x]

Ha, that's classic.

Right now I'm playing god of war, and honestly I can't imagine playing without rumble. 

[/QUOTE]
My fiancee can't fish in Animal Crossing DS, because in the original it's all based on force feedback.   She's done A LOT of fishing in the original and can't adjust to the DS's sound based feedback for it at all.  The more I think about it, the more I think I'd miss force feedback too.  It's particularly good is racing games for letting you feel when you start to edge off the track.

Omar1

Postby Omar1 » May 14th, 2006, 11:00 am

I got the feeling that the PS3 was not going to include rumble anyway, given the result of the suit with Inmersion Technologies regarding force feedback. The last thing I heard was that Sony lost, but I could be wrong on that.

http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/03/14/1527252

Return to “Modern Gaming”