Which Games Was the VGC Unfair Towards?

General and high profile video game topics.
Emehr

Postby Emehr » July 27th, 2009, 8:45 pm

'[b]Warbirds[/b]' for the Lynx

None of the text in the review justifies the near-failing grade. Not to mention...

[b]1[/b]. [quote]turning the collisions off makes the game a hell of a lot easier[/quote]
and...
[quote]as a game it's a real snooze-fest[/quote]What?! Of course it's boring when colliding with another plane doesn't kill you! Try playing with collisions "on" against more than one enemy.

[b]2[/b].[quote]The controls are sluggish, and turning is slow.[/quote]Yes, it is a WWI plane. Turning is slow. Also, turning right is a lot faster than turning left. That behavior is due to the rotary forces of the engine. It's realistic. Not to mention that cutting your engine allows you to make faster left turns. A useful strategy in a pinch.

[b]3[/b].[quote]Since you're typically only facing one enemy at a time, you constantly have to double back in order to get your foe lined up again.[/quote]Lol, that's called "dogfighting". Also, you can fight up to 3 other planes at once. The game is highly configurable in this manner.

[b]4[/b].[quote]Since there are no crosshairs, it's hard to tell if an enemy is in your line of fire.[/quote]Now that's just a saucer full of weak sauce! It really doesn't take long to get a feel for it. Especially when you can see your bullets traveling towards the other biplane!

[b]5[/b].[quote]It's also not clear when an enemy plane is taking damage[/quote]Turn up the sound

[b]6[/b].[quote]arcade-minded gamers should keep their distance[/quote]Funny you should mention that. The game actually has an "arcade" mode that does away with that pesky realism of the rotary G-forces that affect turning and the speed of the plane.

In summary, I have yet to find another WWI-era dogfighting game that matches Warbirds for the Lynx in terms of free-roaming 3D, realism, and fun. And it has multiplayer! I would have to dock points if the game played like you're flying a jet. There's plenty of those games out there.

The VGC review does not do the game justice. It reads like the critic spent five minutes with it and only tried two settings (collisions "on" and collisions "off"). I take issue with the grades of some of the other Lynx games, but at least the text justifies the grade whether one agrees or not. This review, however, was just factually incorrect and completely off the mark.

GameBoy Girl

Postby GameBoy Girl » July 27th, 2009, 9:57 pm

You're totally right, Emehr.  Warbirds was great fun.  I can't believe he gave that abomination Pit Fighter the same grade as Warbirds!

Worst Lynx games:

Gordo 106
Pit Fighter
Krazy Ace Miniature Golf

Best Lynx games:

Klax
Battlewheels

There's a funny thing about the Lynx, too.  Checkered Flag, which was one of the absolute worst Jaguar games, is a million times better on the Lynx.  In fact, it's great on the Lynx!

Wallyworld1

Postby Wallyworld1 » July 28th, 2009, 12:53 pm

2 games that I enjoyed that the critic despised. 

1. Cyborg Justice- Genisis.. Yeah this game is not the most complex fighter ever but its pretty sweet to put your own Robot together for a fight.  You can rip your opponents arm off and beat him with it.  Good fun.

2. Super Pitfall- NES.. I liked it so get off this games back!

GameBoy Girl

Postby GameBoy Girl » July 28th, 2009, 1:35 pm

Cyborg Justice was a good, fun game.  Super Pitfall, on the other hand, was an abortion.

ajsmart1

Postby ajsmart1 » July 28th, 2009, 2:21 pm

Super Breakout for the 2600.  That game is all kinds of awesome.  Mode 7 with the progressive blocks coupled with sound effects that have no chance in keeping up with the action is 'A' material right there.  Heck any game that uses the paddle controllers should start of with at least a 'B'  .... well except Street Racer.  That game is bad any way you slice it.

Patrick

Postby Patrick » July 29th, 2009, 11:20 pm

Sonic Unleashed- You know I can understand if he hated the werehog stages, but the Sonic stages were pretty awesome and better than a lot of the crap that Sega has been spewing out their butt in recent years.

James1

Postby James1 » July 29th, 2009, 11:26 pm

[QUOTE=GameBoy Girl] Super Pitfall, on the other hand, was an abortion.
[/QUOTE]

I'm going to have to agree with that. Very, very, very bad game.

Protoman

Postby Protoman » July 30th, 2009, 10:23 pm

F-Zero (SNES)
Doom (SNES)
Megaman Powered Up (PSP)
Sonic CD (Sega CD)
Castlevania II (NES)

Guy

Postby Guy » July 30th, 2009, 11:23 pm

Intellivision Sub Hunt. Th critic gave this game a D, but he should have gave it at least a C-.

snakeboy1

Postby snakeboy1 » August 12th, 2009, 8:04 pm

[QUOTE=Chris D.]But the review I disagree with the most is Endless Ocean for the Wii. That game transported me like no other. I thought it was incredibly immersive. And I don't think the Critic dived deep enough into the game to get enough out of it. There's hidden treasure, cryptic messages, and an overall decent storyline if one is just a little bit patient. When I first dived into the Abyss I was really creeped out, kind of like playing Resident Evil for the first time. The first time I discovered a whale and a giant squid, I was in awe. Considering all the bland titles that got a similar grade, I thought it was terribly unfair to give such a unique and deep title such a low grade.
[/QUOTE]

After "diving" (haha) back into this game, I have to agree with you. I never thought Endless Ocean deserved a "D", but I didn't find it terribly exciting either. But now I'm at the part of the game where I'm cave diving and taking photos, and it has really sucked me in. I also find the dialogue between your character and your female partner on the boat to be quite hilarious. It's a great game to relax to before bedtime.

Return to “Video Games General”