5/21/2006: Xbox 360: Tomb Raider: Legend

Let me know what you think about my reviews.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 21st, 2006, 11:59 am

Share your thoughts about the game and review.

andrew

Postby andrew » May 21st, 2006, 12:39 pm

he just gave tomb raider legend an A- which it deserves. It's about time a good new tomb raider comes out. However i couldn't help but feel i was playing Prince of Persia Sands of Time and many people would agree. Some of the animations and things you must do to progress feel exactly the same to this game such as jumpting and climbing from pillar to pillar.

Dont get me wrong as i said the game is great. But why is it that Prince of Persia: SOT still  gets an undeserving lowly D ?

soporj1

Postby soporj1 » May 21st, 2006, 2:29 pm

I think you hit the nail on the head with this one, Critic.

I have the PS2 version and thought it was one of the better games I've played in a long time. The difficulty level of the puzzles was spot-on, it looked great and was just plain FUN.

I used to think that longer games meant better games, but as you get older and the dreaded "real life" starts to sink in, it's great to have a game that you can enjoy that isn't excessively frustrating and that doesn;t wear out it's welcome.

Now, on an unrelated note, how about some more Intellivision reviews?!

Michael D

Postby Michael D » May 21st, 2006, 9:13 pm

It's good to hear that Tomb Raider Legend has brought respectability back to the franchise.  I'll certainly need to check it out now.  Nice review, although the first Tomb Raider hit the Playstation in 1996, not 1997 (Tomb Raider 2 came out then).  

Cafeman1

Postby Cafeman1 » May 21st, 2006, 9:16 pm

I rented the Xbox version and I've played up to the 4th area (snowy Russia, I believe).

I'm pretty happy with this version. I agree with the review and grade of A-.

The visuals are 10 times better than even the PC and Dreamcast TR's! Lara is modeled and animated *perfectly*, IMHO. Just watch her facial expressions at any time of the game and you'll see that a lot of effort went into the character of Lady Croft. 

All the levels were great fun and I even got stuck on 2 puzzles until I checked a FAQ out (complain if you want but I never beat any TR's before without checking a FAQ at least 1 time). The puzzles were giving me the clues, I'm just dumb anymore and slow to figure out what to do/where to go. I tried to stack 2 crate boxes on top each other, at the see-saw fulcrum puzzle early on, for an hour, until I realized another (and much easier) way to get boxes on the level I needed 'em. Ugh.

I guess my only beef is that so far I've only killed Jaguars and attack dogs. Mostly it's been mobsters and mercenaries. Where are the statues that come to life, the lions, bears, bats, wolves, etc? Well, maybe I just didn't get that far yet.

russ

Postby russ » May 21st, 2006, 11:04 pm

Critic-

One other important aspect of your review - you mention the length of the game and the fact that people with jobs could actually finish it. I completely agree, and I would love to see more games that you can finish in 15 hours or less. I know this goes against what many gamers see as "value", but real life intrudes. Perhaps you can do a special on games you can actually finish for labor day!

- Russ

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 21st, 2006, 11:33 pm

As a rule of thumb, whenever a magazine reviewer complains that a game is too short, it's probably the right length.  Also, if they say it's too easy, it's probably the right difficulty. 

Heck I remember a magazine reviewer whining because he finished an RPG in under 40 hours!  Wow, it must be nice to not have any responsibilities!

Return to “Review Feedback”