Who will actually buy a PS3?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » May 26th, 2006, 11:31 am

Hi Atari.  I'm not actually going to upgrade my computer as I don't have the money for it, was just using it as an example.  But given the choice between the Wii or the PC upgrade I would go with the PC.  I'm a big FPS nut and Supreme Commander + C&C 3 + Heroes of Might and Magic 5 would make me very happy.  Plus I am currently mapping for Quake 3 and I would love to get a chance to work on the Q4 or Source engines.

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » May 26th, 2006, 12:35 pm

Just so there is no further misunderstanding, I meant "wealthy ELITE" as a compliment, Boston. It means, you have excess income so therefore are a hard working member of society.

I didn't mean it to sound like a "rich nob" or something but, yeah I can see it could be taken that way.

At any rate I work freelance/part time so systems like the PS3 are way out of my price range. Thankfully, I live alone so I can do without to get games. If I REALLY wanted a PS3 more than anything I would save for one, But I think I'd still go for a
PS2 , gamecube and 20 games!

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » May 26th, 2006, 1:09 pm

[QUOTE=bluemonkey]

Hi Atari.  I'm not actually going to upgrade my computer as I don't have the money for it, was just using it as an example.  But given the choice between the Wii or the PC upgrade I would go with the PC.  I'm a big FPS nut and Supreme Commander + C&C 3 + Heroes of Might and Magic 5 would make me very happy.  Plus I am currently mapping for Quake 3 and I would love to get a chance to work on the Q4 or Source engines.

[/QUOTE]
I use linux now, so my PC gaming days are behind me.  The Microtendo fanboy in me is just glad you won't be buying a PS3.
The linux fanboy in me hates the part of me that likes the 360 while disliking the linux driven PS3 by the way.   I'm a conflicted guy.

Boston

Postby Boston » May 26th, 2006, 2:24 pm

I understand what you were saying and trust me, it isn't like throwing $600 down on a system is all that easy for me. $600 is not chump change. Most likely I will get a 360 and maybe a Wii depending on the reviews of that system. I will likely wait to sometime next year to get the PS3. My guess is that it will have to come down in price in order to compete.

Boston

Chicken Warrior

Postby Chicken Warrior » May 26th, 2006, 2:24 pm

Not only will the PS3 be overpriced, but it will most likely mark Sony's step down from head of the pack. Every time I can recall that people talked more about a console's price than the actual console, it was a total flop. All the 'worst' consoles were also really pricey.

Needless to say, I won't be buying a PS3 when it's still alive (and wouldn't even if I had the money). And while I might buy a 360, or perhaps more likely a Wii (though it is likely doomed as well), I sure as heck hope the console manufactures make some actual innovations before releasing their next batch of systems after the 'next gen'.

As far as I see it, real improvements to graphics are not likely to come for a long while. Gameplay could all be improved by larger hard-drives and faster processors – not really worth making new systems for. People who watch movies or listen to music are not (yet) used to buying a new system to listen to music/watch movies every five years – and neither should gamers. Even the few true innovations we're seeing (like the Wii's controller) could probably have been built to fit current gen consoles. With internet and upgrade features such as those the 360 has, companies like Microsoft are trying to get us to buy and upgrade computers without realising it. Computers, mind you, that aren't nearly as useful as actual computers. Consoles should be able to run games at their best without any upgrades, without buying seperate parts and without paying monthly fees. And new consoles, now that we've reached a point where few developers take full advantage of the hardware anyways, should not be released every four years.

It's a racket. And I'm tired of being a tenniss ball.

Koopa W.

Postby Koopa W. » May 26th, 2006, 2:53 pm

[QUOTE=Atarifever]
Don't upgrade your computer; go Wii60 instead.  It's like a two for the price of one sale.   That's my plan anyway, and I don't seem to be alone.
[/QUOTE]

You sure aren't alone. I am definately getting an Xbox Wii60! Down with Sony! Down with Sony!

Koopa

IronKnux

Postby IronKnux » May 26th, 2006, 4:00 pm

Does anyone else think that the PS3 is just the 3DO fiasco in reverse?

When the 3DO was released, it was an exorbitant amount of money. This deterred many, MANY gamers. Now, with the PS3 coming out, people are just itching to spend their money, thinking that the price is worth it. Can I ask... has anyone here learned about anything innovative that the PS3 is going to do? The Wii is a creative device... downloadable classic games, a brand new, inventive controller... the PS3 is just going to be a rehash of the PS2 with better graphics. Why would you pay 600 dollars for such a minimal upgrade? Oh wait... because it's made by Sony. Right???

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » May 27th, 2006, 3:52 am

I always buy games and systems used because I feel guilty spending that kind of money on something that is really so trivial, so I keep my spending to a minimum.  Plus, with my wife watching Oprah all the time in my house, I am constantly reminded of how many people in this world would prefer a hearty meal over a PS3, and just how many kids in Africa could go to school for a year for $600.  I don't want to be droll, but we ARE talking about a GAME, here.  I think buying the PS3 for that price is going to be one of things we all roll our eyes at in a year or so after the system tanks and sells for about the price of a Virtual Boy on clearance at Fred Meyer.

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » May 27th, 2006, 6:19 am

I really hate the way people keep talking about the Wii being innovative.  It's the same old story of old tech being rebranded and people claiming it to be th eMesiah.  Let's just hope this doesn't do to console gaming what the same approach did to the arcades.

Boston

Postby Boston » May 27th, 2006, 11:58 am

I can't believe people are comparing the PS3 to the 3DO. Are you people crazy? Correct me if I am wrong but did Panasonic have a stangle hold on the video game industry for 11 years prior to the launch of the 3DO? In fact, the PS3 is actually cheaper then the 3DO was when it was released in 1995 or so. I believe it went for something like $750. Anyway, all of you that are hoping that this is the end of Sony are out of your minds. The PS3 will sell well enough. There are plenty of people lined up to get it already.

Boston

Return to “Modern Gaming”